Any advise for a guy having dinner with his girlfriend's family for the first time?

Should I shave? What should I wear? How much affection toward my girlfriend is appropriate? How should I deal with the only family member that does not like me?

Meeting the family minus the parents due to unfortunate circumstances.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm come clean shaven. Dress nice ( button down and jeans), I suggest bringing a gift like cupcake or something the family really likes (ask GF). I would say just a peck on the cheek, also handholding may be okay. Just be as nice, sociable, and positive towards those who don't like you

• The gift idea was great. Although instead of cupcakes it was donuts. No one can be grump with a Greenbush donut in their mouth. Now the one that hates me thinks I am alright.

• Your welcome, I'm really happy it went well

What Girls Said 2

• Dress the way you would normally do, just make sure your clothes are clean and not wrinkly. Shave only if your girlfriend says its necessary. After all, if she's your girlfriend might as well let the parents see the real you since you'll surely be around to their house again. Don't kiss in front of them the first time you meet them, maybe hold hands. Be sure not to say anything overly gushy because it might make them uncomfortable the first time. As for the family member who doesn't like you, just make sure you're polite, but otherwise don't engage him/her in any conversation first so tension can be avoided.

• Dont fuck it up. :)

What Guys Said 3

• Practice your handshake make sure its strong and firm. Good eye contact is key, be comfortable is the biggest obstacle you will face. After that its small talk, with modern conversations that will show the parents your informed and studious in up to date affairs. The amount of affection you show towards your girlfriend depends on the how long you both have been together. And if you want the father to turn into pappa bear and throw you out of his house. If a family member does not like you, try and let it go. They dont like you because your the boyfriend. Not because your (your name) so the best to leave it alone. Look at the dinner as three parts, like a paragraph. You have the intro with the "hellos" and "how are you's", then you have the body with small talk and ego boosts. Ultimately the end will depend on the quality of your intro and body, it will either end with a strong nice to know you. Or thanks for coming now get out of my house.

• Parents not in the picture this round but thanks for the advise. Also the chances of seeing her father ever is very very low.

• Ahh, did not see that part haha. Well it still applies to a mother and older brother. Just follow the three steps, and you will be fine.

• Advice* just wear whats appropriate, casual/formal depending, even ask her opinion. I wouldn't get too crazy in front of the parents. Who doesn't like you?

• Her mom is still recovering from surgery so she won't be joining us. Her dad left the picture years ago. Oddly enough one of her sisters is playing the role of dad (doesn't like me).

• I can't imagine them being too picky besides her so you should be good haha.

• Her siblings. She has 6 in total. Three of them are in town. Not sure if the other three will show up.

• Dress nicely and talk about what they want to talk about.