Should my boyfriend go to his friends wedding even though I wasn't invited?

This will be the third wedding I wasn't invited to. He has attended two of them without me already.

• Yes
  • No
They didn't give him a plus one option. They are his college buddies. I've never met them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's my take on this wedding invitation. When a person is invited to a wedding it is assumed that they will also bring a significant other, even if he/she are a groomsman/bridesmaid. I have never seen a wedding invitation to an individual that does not by proxy assume a guest will accompany them. In the RSVP there is a box (usually) to indicate whether you will be attending alone or with a guest.
    (Perhaps you can double check this).

I hope you both go to this wedding, it has nothing to do if you know the bridal party or not.
    Good Luck and have fun.

• thanks a bunch. He has asked and they have all said no. The first time his friend said no because he doesn't know me. We live a good distance away from them, and I haven't met them because they never invite me. We've been together for 3 years and I'm almost ready to throw in the towel.

• I feel so sorry for you. This is a slap in the face and you do not deserve to be treated like this. If I was your boyfriend I would take issue with this backhanded and tell them I will come WITH my girlfriend, or I will NOT COME AT ALL.
      This is not normal for wedding invitations. In fact it is quite demeaning. Wish I could help you more. 😔

• thanks but I'll be ok. No worries... I'm a big girl.

What Guys Said 6

• Why shouldn't he go? It's his friend's wedding. You don't know that friend. There's nothing unusual about this.

• First off, I think it should be normal that you go with him whether you are invited or not. You are his girlfriend.
    And yes, he has to go. It's his friends marriage after all. It's something really important.

• go with him,,, they may have left it up to your bf ,,,,,,, unless you got indications that they just dont want you there

• Some circles of friends are out of boundaries. There are guys that i'm aquaintances with, but not that much and i wouldn't take the girl i love in that group, because i don't care much for that group. I'm there just because...
    Plus he might not have gotten a "plus one" because they did not know. Ever thought of that?
    I don't care about my college friends or uni friends, and i don't really talk to them. They don't know what i'm doing now and how my life is. So how should they know they need to send an option if the guy does not tell them he has a gf. If he'd ask "hey, i wanna bring my girl", they would find a seat for you. But he didn't say it because he goes there because he has to. He most likely hates it anyway, so he wants to get over with it and not drag you in it.. it would be a bad memory for him.

Who were the people in the other two weddings?

• They were all on the same basketball team. All three weddings are the same group of friends. They know of me. They've commented on pics on fb... They think it's funny to leave sarcastic comments on our pics. He keeps in contact with them.

• I've met his best friend from out there. He lives close to the other guys.

• In that case it is kind of strange. If you just started going out, then maybe he feels it would be too soon to ask you to go with him at weddings. Some people consider weddings really serious stuff and maybe he does not want to scare you away.
      I mean it's strange cause he does not hide you from his friends and at the same time did not ask you to go. You should talk to him about this

• well yeah they are his friends.

• You can tell him how you feel, but you can not tell him what to do

• All you can do is ask

• Manipulative, but fair

What Girls Said 6

• He should, because they don't even know you :) If they knew you and didn't bother to call you, that would have been disrespectful :)

• Ask him to show you the actual invitation because it's hard to believe that there isn't a plus one. However, if there truly isn't then yes it's okay for him to go without you. What kind of friend would he be if he missed the most important day of his their life just because his gf didn't want to spend the night alone... suck it up.

• It's not that I don't want to spend the night alone. It's the principal.

• I'm sorry but there's simply no "principle" that can excuse missing his friend's big day because his girlfriend is being pissy. It sucks that you aren't invited but maybe his friends are on tight budgets and don't want to spend money on people they don't know. People don't realize how much just one head costs at a wedding. Either way, don't risk coming off like a lame girlfriend just because you feel left out. Your boyfriend will end up resenting you and so will his friend if you do eventually meet him.

• Yikes. Sucks to hear your point of view. I get it though... I am being a bit selfish. These are people with money, so that's not the issue. I guess they only want people close to them there. This is why I'm here... To get different views. thanks a bunch.

• I know it's upsetting my partners brother didn't invite me to his wedding despite me being with his brother for over 2 years. All you can do is rise above and when you get married don't invite their partners.

• Yes. They didn't invite you because they don't know you. If you really wanna go though, just ask. Don't try to make him not attend it though even if you can't go.

• yes! there is a reason he's invited!

• That's weird there isn't a plus one. Are you sure there isn't? Or is he just telling you there isn't? If they're actually inviting him to their wedding they must be in touch, and must know about you. If you've been together at least a year or something like that I'd say you should go along. But he can go without you, yes. It's just that it's unusual he's not gotten a plus 1 out of 3 invites. I'm wondering if he truly didn't get a plus one.

• I'm not the only girlfriend that didn't get invited. One of the girlfriends that I know has known these guys for years. She was upset that she didn't get invited so I brushed it off. Her boyfriend isn't as close to the other two so he wasn't invited. I just think it's tacky. We've been together for 3 years for goodness sakes.