What's the point of dating if you don't want to get married?

I am 24. I have never been in a serious relationship with a woman before. However, I am also completely anti-marriage. I don't want to get married and I don't want kids. I don't approach women or ask them out because... what's the point? Lol. Most people get into relationships and then get married. I don't want that. Overall, I might sound selfish but I won't give that commitment to a woman. What's the point of dating when you don't want to ever get married?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you about that. There really is no point to dating if you don't want to get married.

What Girls Said 10

• Thats like asking "Why do you eat ice cream if you don't want to get fat?"

There are many different types and dynamics of relationships. There are monogamous relationships and non monogamous relationships.

There are non monogamous relationships that are
    -Open
    -Open to one partner (male only nonmonogamy, female only non monogamy)
    -Swinging
    -Sharing

There are also monogamous relationships that involve multiple people. There dynamics and relationships that people choose are endless. Not wanting marriage doesn't mean that a man/woman can't have a fulfilling relationship that doesn't lead to reproducing or the alter. People do it everyday. It's called living with commonsense.

• There are people who stay single with common sense. Relationships aren't for everyone.

• I didn't say that they were. You question was "What's the point of dating if you don't want to get married?" Marriage/children isn't the end game for everyone in regards to dating.

Your question wasn't "Whats the point of dating if I don't want a relationship?" < If this was your question the obvious answer would have been "There isn't a point."

Also, just because a person struggles with relationships, the issue isn't always that they aren't suited for relationships, it could be that they settle/choose people who aren't compatible/aren't after the same things in life. People often confuse not being able to choose a partner with not being suited for a relationship.

• If you don't want to get married then don't date.

• I agree with you. Dating is for people who are seeking an end result for sure. That's the whole point.

• I don't believe in marriage but I do believe in commitment.

• Doubt it.

• Haha okay :)

• My teacher has been with her boyfriend for 15 years. They don't want to marry and they don't want kids, because they don't think it's necessary. You don't have to do either, but I'm sure someday you'll meet someone you want to spend your life with.

• You could be right. Maybe I'll change my mind.

• Marriage is the furthest thing from my mind right now. I like going out having fun have a nice dinner. I also believe Sex not need to be part of it. I have a close male friend for about 15 years. He is a meaning of true gentlemen. We've never been intimate. When we go out we sometimes split the bill or one pays one time in the next time the other pays. Dating does not need to lead up to marriage it's about friendship and trust

• I don't trust people at all.

• I always ask this question too
    I think it's about sex. or wanting companionship without marriage.
    wanting all the benefits without commitment.
    i dont really know

• To find someone you can be happy with. There are women out there who are also opposed to marriage. Find one.

• Why don't you wanna get married and have kids? Just wanna have fun?

• I have friends to have fun with. Idk, I just don't want either of it. I have nieces and nephews I babysit and I love them. But I can't wait to give them back to their mom and dad.

• Companionship? Friendship? Intimacy? There are a lot of reasons. There are girls who are not ready for a commitment yet and just want to have fun.

• It might be something you'll grow out of, but you're correct. The purpose for dating is to find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, otherwise it's pretty much pointless. Just take each day a step at a time. Maybe you'll wake up one day and decide you do want to get married.

What Guys Said 8

• Very valid question. There are lots of people with the same interests. My wife and I are not legally married, we are common-law, and we also do not want kids. But we do love each other and want to be with each other. We are very happy with our lives as-is. We have a couple of female friends that are also opposed to kids and marriage, but do want a SO in their lives. I understand where you are coming from. Most women do want marriage and kids, so most of them are not what you are looking for. I am sure you can find great success on dating sites and specific what you are looking for.

• Because having a partner is fun and emotionally fulfilling in and of itself.
    Why does marriage suddenly make a relationship matter? Was everything up until that point in the relationship pointless?

• I guess I just don't do serious commitment. I've always felt this way idk.

• What is the point of marriage? Legal documents?

• To be honest, I have no clue. I think it's outdated.

• Everyone dates for different reasons. Marriage isn't for everyone.

• That's true.

• dating is fun because it leads to other things that don't lead to marriage.

• Steady sex?

• Marriage is a contract. You can have a relationship without a contract...

• Right? :D I am anti marriage too.. dating means relationships and relationships are commitment

• I don't care for commitment that much.

• Then... don't date girls? lol Not really sure why you asked this question other than to spout off that you're anti-marriage and don't know why you'd date a girl. Guess what, Brotato? We don't know what the point is for you either ;)

• Freedom of speech. I can ask what I want.

• Never said you couldn't, but good job with the 6th grade comeback lol