Do you care about how smart a guy is?

It seems that quite a few intelligent, beautiful women with great careers chase after muscled beer-drinking idiots who dress like slobs, don't shave and only talk about sports.

I am an intelligent, very well educated young man in his 20s who dresses well, is clean shaven, I keep my hair neat, and am very romantic and can talk about anything from international politics to brain surgery to rocket science. I speak 4 foreign languages and like to surprise my love interests with fresh flowers, expensive wine and boxes of chocolates. I volunteer in the community and do not smoke or do drugs. I am a competitive tennis player and also enjoy chess. I have an impressive collection of fine belts. I believe in a traditional marriage whereby there is only sexual activity within the marriage. I go to church every Sunday and am training to be a neurosurgeon.

The only thing missing from my life is a soul mate.

Do you care about how smart a guy is?

Most Helpful Girl

• One of my favorite things about my husband is that he's intelligent, now I admit and he really admits, that's he's not very good at English and he's not the best at history, but he's good at science and amazing at Math. Plus, he's a quick learner and great at thinking on his feet, he's a real problem solver. He also learns a lot of new things all the time, especially through work, he's in the military. He loves learning and pushes himself to learn all the time. It's amazing to me, especially since he's great at things I'm subpar at, like dealing with electronics. Intelligence is sexy.

What Girls Said 11

• Yeah I definitely do. If he has a learning disability I can accept him not being too smart - but if there is nothing wrong with him - then I expect him to be successful but I don't know if I'd date a brain surgeon because they have around 10 - 12 years of schooling so my question would always be - what are we going to do in the mean time?

• Yes. I care about it... a great deal. Intellectual stimulation is essential.

I saw how you commented on musicbrain's response. You come off as quite cocky. Now that is VASTLY unattractive- unattractive enough to render your intelligence worthless, to me.

• I just want a guy who can challenge me intellectually. So ideally, he is as smart or smarter than I am, and I'm pretty smart.

• Really, you're pretty smart?

Explain the purpose of the Jacobian determinant of a coordinate transition function or its absolute value?

• Okay, yeah I didn't say I was smart in vector calculus, did I?

• Here's something you said. "The only thing missing from my life is a soul mate." While I do believe in that, ( not in the past life mumbo jumbo kind of way ) you have to be willing to except to search through an ocean of people until you find the one. That's why so many people settle, divorce years later and end up unhappy. People are lazy and want a quick fix, they don't want to acknowledge a love that was more than just love, because it's not easy.

• " muscled beer-drinking idiots who dress like slobs, don't shave and only talk about sports."
    UH count me out. And LOL sounding a little arrogant are we?

By the way I do care to SOME degree. It just feels a little uncomfortable sometimes to date someone who is not intellectually stimulating.

• I care about how smart a guy is a great deal. I also care that he isn't petty by assuming every guy with dissimilar interests is somehow less intelligent or more unscrupulous than he is.

• Upon witnessing the behavior of these man-chimps in their natural habitat, which is primarily clubs, bars, sports events, and shopping malls with their "love interests", I can safely hypothesize that by virtue of my anecdotal observations, good-natured, educated women will often end up in relationships with them. Also, just because these men are a breed of lower intellectual standards, does not demoralize them in any way shape or form. You can be unscrupulous (word of the day) and be a genius, just like hitler or ted kaczynski.

• If you're such a brainiac you would know that your "anecdotal observations" have no merit on the behalf of those men or women.

• Unless of course, one of the women in these relationships happens to read this question, has an epiphany and realizes, in a startling revelation catalyzed by my succint-yet-semantically-powerful articulacy, how silly, primitive and animal-like her basis of reasoning is behind her mate-selection.

If I could prevent one of these ape-woman relationships from occurring by presenting women with this compelling dichotomy, I will log off my computer a satisfied man.

• I like guys who are very smart but not egotistical. If you think you're the only one with common sense then I can't.

• i would prefer a guy who knows what he's talking about and is smart, altho it seems that guys like that tend to be very rare and therefore we struggle to resist the jock types, but in all honesty i dont want the whole, smartass kind who knows everything and takes great joy in rubbing it in peoples faces.

• I cannot stand dumb guys. He doesn't have to be educated, but I would like for him to be strategic and street smart. I think those girls you're describing have insecurity issues.

• Guys like you have a harder time when you're young, but in a few years, not even that many because you're already 20, women will be round you like flies on shit.
    Some females are immature when they're young, but when they get to mid to late twenties they get more serious about life and settling down, and you are the kinda guy women want to settle with, not just a "Mr Right Now"

• If you think I am remotely interested in a woman who has been fondled and vaginally penetrated by 100 beer-drinking hockey-playing muscleheads before she "settles down" with me, the answer is a resounding no.

• Haha good to hear. Well, I will say, people are the same, male or female. You see yourself are more rare than the guys you're talking about, the good women are just as rare, they're there, but you might have to wade through trash to find em sometimes.

• I do care about how smart a guy is, but being smart has nothing to do with looks or beliefs...

What Guys Said 1

• Girls do like smarter men the older they get, but i'm pretty certain they don't like a smart alec. Yeah, you're a smart guy, but you're being a douche bag the way you present yourself and i'm pretty sure the type of girl you're looking for doesn't want that. Just because you're book smart doesn't mean you're better than anyone else who's less intelligent than you are. I saw they way you talk to these girls down here and if you think you're going to swoon a girl over by telling her she's not as smart as you then that's not smart at all.