Would you break up with someone your parents didn't agree with?

My boyfriends parents want him to break up with me because they feel that I would screw up his life because I'm not using any form of birth control. We use condoms always but his parents feel that is not enough. They think that if I were to get pregnant i would make him suffer. Adoption would be my number one option and he knows that. But his parents keep putting it in his head that I'm not good for him and that he should break up with me. He has now put our relationship on the line saying that if I don't get birth control he will break up with me. Is he doing this because of what his parents are making him think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't break up with them just because my parents didn't like the fact I was with them, but I would listen to my parents. Sometimes they actually have something of value to say. You really should be on birth control, unless you can't be for some medical reason. Unfortunately birth control for guys is still not available so it does fall on the woman. Your boyfriend is right for making some demands to protect his future. Even if you wouldn't mess up his life, so many guys have had their lives messed up by women that made similar claims to yours, that it is only reasonable that he want you on birth control, until he is ready to start a family.

What Guys Said 4

• To answer your question, no, I would never let my parents decide who I date, and who I do not date. Not when I was 18, and certainly not now at 32.

Also, I gotta ask... why not just go on the pill? Have you tried it before and experienced adverse side effects or something?

• Lol no.

My parents would never force me to break up with a gf. And even if they tried, what can they do? They wouldn't kick me out, they love me too much.

And if they did threaten to kick me out, I still wouldn't break up with my gf. I'd maybe pretend that I did or come up with a plan or something but No one could ever make me make a decision I didn't want to make.

• It's my life, not theirs.

• If he loved you he wouldn't care what they said . It's actually hard to get pregnant and if you know your cycle well you know the days when you're fertile , so just avoid those days by not having sex on them... problem solved easy ! google has all the answers.

• Haha yes thank you, I've tried to explain that to him but he doesn't listen

• plus she says she always uses protection

• He doesn't even know I use this site. He would be so mad if he found out I did.

What Girls Said 10

• 'Adoption would be my number one option and he knows that'
    This is the only solution that comes to your mind? . Do you think it is easy to give away a baby? It is not tomato or cucumber that you give, buy, sell. It is a living human being.
    Hold your responsibility of your actions. Giving away the baby shows the opposite.

You like to be appreciated and respected? Then do something to deserve that. It is not always about other people. Respect is earned.

• Yeah I've very aware that it wouldn't be easy. Nothing in life comes easy. But making a mature decision about something like that will help make letting go easier. Knowing I'm giving that kid up for a better future and a better life would be good. At this age you want me to raise a child? I'm still in school. This is not about taking responsibility for my actions, it's about putting another life in better hands.

• What is wisdom you know? Avoiding any possible problems, not solving them.

Never put yourself in such a position. Don't you prefer safer situation? I know it's very DISTURBING. Someone is trying to be included to your business. But think like that. There is no wrong about using a pill. It will protect unpleasant result. I don't see any problem. Forget the parents. Don't you want a Non problematic, safe , happy relationship?

• Well if he's under 18 and living under his parents roof then I think their opinion kinda matters lol. However if he's an adult then he should make his own decisions. But I do agree with his parents that it's better if you're on the pill. It's the most affective form of birth control so it brings a lot more peace of mind, especially if a condom were to break. I'm not saying you should get it to make his parents happy, but losing a relationship over this seems a bit not worth it. Talk to your doctor about the side affects and what options would be best for you.

I'm not sexually active but I still get the depo shot because it takes away my period. There's a lot of different options that don't have tons of side affects if that's what you're worried about.

• Seeing as my parents are really open and have always allowed me to make my own decisions, I'd never have that problem. Even if I did, no I wouldn't, fuck their opinion honestly because it's my life. As for your boyfriend, it seems like he's already giving into them because he's asking you to go on the pill. It's your body so that's your decision if you want to take it or not. If I were in your position honestly, you're only 16, you don't need a relationship controlling your life, nor do you need to constantly fight for their acceptance. He's 16 and likely isn't ready nor able to be defying his parents, live your life for yourself and he might soon end up just being a thing of the past.

• I'm actually 18 and I think that's why they hate me is because they feel like I should be more responsible since I'm the older one

• Lol ohh okay, and they likely just don't like the fact that you're older.

• Just use birth control. Its not a big deal unless you get side effects. Either that or stop having sex.

• how old are both of u?
    his parents are thinking for his good but can be selfish.
    i dont like birth control pills as it gives side effects like migraine, i took it before for my skin condition many years back.
    he should stand up for u. my parents dont decide who iam with, if their concern is about the person's personality then i would give a thorough thoughts but not on things like this

• No. But I don't really care about my parents opinion so...

Curious - why don't you just go on the pill?

• Religious reasons. He knows that too.

• But pills are?

• Why/how are condoms okay but not other contraceptives?

• yes he is, it is a good idea to get birth control, im pretty sure neither you, him, your parents and his want an "unexpected arrival" he is being very reasonable, "protection" doesn't always work its the smart idea.

• I wouldn't its none of their business. Its his life.. However... you should get birth control. Condoms aren't always enough! You need to be EXTRA protected. Please do get the birth control.

• He's never had a problem with me not taking it. For religious reasons I cannot take any sort of unnatural medication. I know there are alternative solutions I just don't feel comfortable with them

• Hell to the no. They have no say at all in who I date.

• Absolutely not.
    My parents and I have very different priorities and values anyway, so I'm sure they've disapproved of most of my boyfriends.

As for you guys... why aren't you on the pill? (out of curiosity)
    Why is one contraceptive okay but another is not?