Does the friendzone really exist?

People my age or older say it doesn't exist and the younger ones who dominate this site say yes it does exist. Your thoughts please

Most Helpful Girl

• For me yes and no.

If we've always been friends and FRIENDS FOR A LONG TIME (like 2 years +) then yes. The friendzone exist.

However, I know feelings can develop over time, things can progress. I believe things can progress. It did for my ex when he cheated on me, it did for me when I moved on. I was friends with my boyfriend for the better part of a year, we've been together over 3 months now.

But if you asked me to date my best guy mate (friends with him for 6 years) no no no! He's my mate, has been for way too long :)

What Girls Said 12

• No it doesn't I'm with the older crowd on this one. It's really hard to stay just friends with the opposite sex because of sexual temptation.

Most people who are friends with the opposite sex are hoping for something more down the line. I know from my experience that's been the case.

Unless neither is attracted to one another, the relationships is just professional or business related, there's always a chance something could happend, even if you are married. You don't know how strong sexual attraction is.

• It does exist but not for everyone. My best friend is a guy and he's been crushing on me for three years. He's admitted this to me and I've told him that I don't like him like that, putting him in the 'friendzone'. Pouring someone in the friend zone is just a harsh way of telling someone you don't like them how they like you.

• Yes, it does. But you can't be "stuck" in the friendzone like some people claim. You don't HAVE to be friends with someone.

• Yes and no for me I always liked to be friends before id consider letting a guy be more and my current bf (and future husband) was "friendzoned" for quite a few years before I fell for him but even he thinks the friend zone is stupid because that's the reason our relationship is so strong is because we have a solid foundation and he even suggested guys who complain about that might just want to sleep with the girl.

• Yes, it does. I find my best guy friend very attractive but I would never date him because it just isn't worth the risk. I'd rather have him in my life as a friend then not at all.

• I think the friend zone is a friendly way of saying "I'm not attracted to you". Girls show this to guys they value as a person my treating them as they would another girl friend

• It does because I have a lot of guy friends (not ex) that are in the zone. But it's not hard at all to have them in the friends zone at all. Act like how they were when you were friends before. But the friendzone is real.

• Why are they in the friendzone? What mistake did they make?

• That makes sense.. You are young you will have plenty of time for dating

• Yeah. For now I just want to get my school over and done with.

• The friend zone does exist

• HEck yea! The friend zone is real! I have friend zoned guys before. I'm not proud of it. and I have been friend zoned

• There are people you don't want to have sex with, yes.

• I don't think it does. Some people just make them up, I don't know who and its gets used more often after time... I never knew about friend zone till I was like 17 at the time

• Yes, yes it does. I was in it for 8 months then gave up on him.

What Guys Said 11

• For maybe a week or so.

Once one person in a friendship wants more, the friendship is already ruined.

That's why the friendzone is the worst concept ever. Because, the friendship will rarely last much more than a few weeks until one of them starts feeling too hurt and then they have to pull away.

The absolute worst thing in my eyes, is that, the expectancy that things change when you go out with someone, especially friends. 90% of the time, nothing changes.

• Short answer: yes and no.

Long answer: Both guys and girls can end up in a situation where one person starts becoming interested in the other while starting off as friends and subsequently get denied due to awkwardness/absence of attraction. It's more complicated than that though.

If a guy repeatedly gets put in the "friendzone" instead of being denied up front, then there is definitely a problem with his approach in my opinion. In this situation, the "friend-zone" isn't even really being friends.

• No. The friendzone just means she's not interested. Just because you're treat a girl good and are sweet it doesn't mean she HAS to date you. Honestly, I think it's a good thing. Stay in that zone with those girls and become good friends then ask them for help when you're confused with the next girl. :)

• It does for some manipulative/insecure girls imo. Generally it's just they don't find your personality or looks attractive.

• And these girls are judges of this why?

• Because it's their choice whether or not they go out with you.

• Themselves, just personal preference. Obviously doesn't mean they are right but some girls are insanely picky.

• It doesn't exist.

• Yes if your an ugly guy like me. Girls and women are never friend zoned. Even if they are some prince charming/white knight will come to her rescue.

• I've been friendzoned like 4 times lol. No "prince charming" so far. You're making generalizations.

• Wow 4 times now compare that to a guy who's probably been there 10, 20 times.

• It does, but guys put themselves there. The solution is simple. Stop being friends with the girl.

• Or just keep her as a friend as you actually like her for her personality, lol.

• Why? There are likeable people on either side. The friend zone would exist either way, you can't force someone to find you attractive if they don't.

• You can't be friends with someone you have feelings for. Unless you're some kind of masochist. But whatever, it's your life.

• It's real, but it's not impossible to get out of it

• Yes very much so a 100% frustration and zero penetration

• friendzone just means when someone sees you as only a friend.

thats all it means

i dont underatand why people get upset about the word

• Thanks for putting it into perspective. It is what it is. People do overdramatize it. Thanks man

• because we really like the person lol and it sucks when they don't like you back

• Yeah, except it's not actually the "friend zone"... it's called just being friends or no attraction to you. Dudes like to say they got "friendzoned" after they talked to a girl for 2 months without showing the slightest hint that they liked her more than just a friend... then get upset when she treats them like a friend.

I'm not completely onboard the "age = wisdom" train, but if I were you I'd be skeptical of what the young-bro's on here say. Not only are they clueless about most things in life thus far, but they're going after girls who are also clueless about most things in life thus far ;)

• Very well put. Thanks man