Would you be put off dating someone who has a mental health condition?

Say you know a guy or girl and decide to get together. Little to your knowledge they have been coping day to day, managing a mental health condition which affects their life to a degree where they have to make alteration, take medication etc.

They've not hidden it, and jokingly mention they're crazy, or a nervous person, but until you decided you wanted to see them, you had no idea how much they were affected by their condition.

Does this make you feel as though you're taking on a burden? Do you think you would be scared away by a mental heath condition?

I am interested to know if it makes a difference
Thanks

• Stay away, they might be a psychopath!
  • I liked the person, and the condition is part of what makes them who they are
  • Too much hard work, I'm off!
  • Makes no odds. They could have any condition, why should mental health be different?
I am the one with the mental health condition, Does this make your answer different?

Most Helpful Guy

• If i really really like u, none of dat would stop ur pursuer =-)
    Im even gonna cross 9 mountains and travel through horrible weathers juz to meet u and put u in ma arms at long last. The end.

• Tankyu sweetie! Personality is always a win for a life long partner. Im sure people will find ur inner beauty fascinating =-)

What Guys Said 8

• I have dated a couple of people with mental issues. Depending on the issue is whether or not its worth the head ache, heart ache and just general chaos it can cause. One girl I dated had PTSD, night terrors and depression. It made things really hard, made her emotionally distant and generally a real roller coaster of a significant other. She had anger issues, anxiety issues and all kinds of other problems. She was sweet when things were not happening. She was afraid of the world. We split and I was relieved.
    I dated another girl that suffered from severe anxiety disorder and it caused a huge problem. She didn't tell me she has this, but due to her behavior and eventually I figured out what was wrong because I read her meds and looked up what they were for. She got super possessive and abusive to me. She would cut, and hurt herself for reasons only known to her. I left because I couldnt do it anymore.

• Both of my ex-girlfriends were mentally ill , yes i loved them at one time
    why should i judge a girl for being mentally ill , it's disability but i still know
    how to love someone with such illness

• Too many people fall into the trap of trying to be their partner's therapist. If you're already in a relationship with someone, and it happens, or they reveal it to you, be supportive. But don't be a martyr. You are not responsible for getting them to seek treatment, nor should you accept any kind of abuse.

• I would remain just friends, as you probably care for them and if you go farther then friends how is this going to affect your life and your dreams. And after being friends for a while and you trueky see what the extent of the condition is then make your decision, but dont jump in with 2 feet and hope love makes it work. You have to be prepared for the emotional, mental, and physical strain this type of relationship will bring. If you can handle it awesome! Just know what the effects could and will be first

• I struggle with clinical depression and anxiety. But I try to stay logical and would like to be accepted for who I am. All my flaws and whatever makes me perfect to that person.

• You really haven't told me anything about their mental condition. Most of the people you pass on the street has what qualifies as a mental health condition. I have to assume you're afraid of the term.

• I have the mental health condition

• The question still reads a bit odd to me.

On-topic: It would depend on the mental issue.

• hmm, tricky. On balance I think if you like someone then you like them and you have to tread more carefully but shouldn't instantly dismiss the chance for happiness based upon a risk of the unknown.

• I have suffered from mental illness before, so I'd say it's one of my criteria... we would relate on a deeper level than someone who never went through it. I would be careful of certain mental illnesses though, particularly borderline personality disorder and possibly antisocial... those can be fixed if they wanted to, and there's a super high chance (if not 100%) that she'd cheat lol

What Girls Said 3

• Well from personal experience I would not I was with a guy who had mental health issues though he was not seeking treatment, it was challenging to date him I was with him for a while before I even knew what he was dealing with then he stopped hiding it and turned into a maniac. I was terrified he contantly threatened his life and my own. I even saved a girl he was with after me she found me on Facebook and asked me some things about him out of concern little did she know he planning on harming her. Not all people with mental issues are psychopath or potentially crazy it really depends on what mental issues they have and how it can affect your relationship. I just know what I went through and wouldn't want to go through that ever again or risk being involved with another psychopath like my ex. I felt tapped into something and I could not deal with it he was constantly depressed and was dragging me down with him I couldn't even be strong for the both of us he needed professional help a girlfriend was not going to change his mental health which is how he became dependent on me because he believed I was all he needed. Before you know I started to seek my own professional help because he was driving me crazy I left before things got ugly. Everyone is different I know people with minor mental health issues and are still able to have relationships. I think it depends on the condition. whether the are being treated and how severe it is.

• If they said they were diagnosed as a sociopath, then I wouldn't. I dated one before and it was hell. I have a couple, I guess minor mental health conditions, so I wouldn't mind dating someone who had similar ones to me, but I think I need someone without those mental illnesses to support me and the mental problems may play off each other and cause huge problems. I don't really know. It depends on if I fall hard for him.

• There's so many different conditions so it depends on which. If they're a psycho/sociopath, I would avoid them. I'm not getting involved in that.

If its depression, well I suffer from depression and I have for most of my life. Suicide has been a big issue for me. I'm happy to say that I've learned to cope very well and I like helping people who suffer too... I have friends who self harm and have attempted suicide and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm glad to help.
    Same goes for anxiety. I have an extreme anxiety disorder... I think I'm very well equipped to help others with that.

Disorders like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are much more difficult to handle. HOWEVER if I cared about the person in the slightest I'd want to be there for them, as friends or as a girlfriend.

So bottom line no it wouldn't put me off but it would change things.