How do you feel about dating Military personnel?

My girlfriend and I had quite a rocky start with the situation. Things have gotten better, of course the relationship requires a lot of trust and communication. We've managed to make it work, but I was curious on everyone else's opinion of dating someone male or female in the military.

Most Helpful Girl

• When I met my husband he was in the Navy. We started dating but he knew that I wouldn't get serious with a military person since I saw my parents marriage end in divorce because of it. He ended up getting out and we eventually got married. We were marred for almost 15yrs and 3 kids later when he told me he wanted to go back into the service to finish his 20yrs. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this but overall I wanted to support his choice. He joined back in the Army and our first station he was deployed right away. It was a very difficult transition for me and our kids since they were teenagers and understood so much more then younger kids. However I am so thankful that we had so many years together to build a strong foundation in our marriage first. I think that is what has really helped over the last few years as opposed to if we would have been together while he was in the Navy.

I will say living on post, and meeting some of these younger couples, I have never seen so many adulteress marriages. If a young couple makes that decision to get married while either or both are serving it is imperative that they have strong communication skills with each other and trust. There are so many people that will cause issues and lies it is quit draining. Both people involved really needs to fully understand what is being asked of each other. My husband has been in Afghanistan for almost 2yrs now. It is hard not having him around and that companionship. Not to mention no sex. But the bottom line for me is there is nothing I have encountered that is worth losing my marriage over. So I keep myself busy running our store and raising our teenagers until he can retire and be home. Relatively speaking this is such a small amount of time when compared to the rest of our lives. April next year will be 20yrs marriage and I still love, desire, lust and even like my husband. I can't wait for the next chapter of our lives.

• Next chapter? But sexy I'm not done with this chapter yet. I have some catching up to do before we start the next chapter.

What Girls Said 6

• Someone i'm seeing is in the miltary. He doesn't wish to move away for "love" or any reasons at the moment. I understand him though, his worked hard to get where he is. If i do decide to be with him, i would be by his side no matter what happens. Its hard i assume. Nothing is easy in life. But when his not so busy he messages me and we talk like we are a couple, but nothing yet. (we both live in different cities)

• I'm going to hawk watch this question so hard; I want to see what the dudes say. Civilian men seem intimidated by me when they figure out my occupation, so I've gotten nowhere. I've been stuck going mil-mil with all relationships.

• Prefer not to date 1

• I'm getting the word Abuse and limitation.

• I'd be okay with it and willing to make things work. But I feel like it would be very difficult and stressful once they get deployed. But overall, if both people are willing to fully commit (just like any relationship, really), I don't see a problem.

• well an unofficial guy im talking to mentioned his marine desires I don't know if i could deal with it

• In my experience with my girlfriend it was difficult at first, but if both ends are dedicated and willing to make it work you can do it.

What Guys Said 2

• To any women who post to this man's question. It's good you seek input here, but in the end you and only you are going to have to weigh it up.

Character... it has been my experience many times that the mere decision to join the military shows commitment to maturity and further growth. Contrast that with the guys on here who think the earth revolves around some giant, blazing tit.

Once in the military that maturity seems to only enhanced. I recently caught up with the family of a guy i knew who served in Iraq. Back in the day -- early teens -- he was so silly it wasn't funny. He chose the Air Force, lost his eye riding sidegun ( i think it's called) in a helicopter, and was later spoken very highly of by a commanding officer who revealed that this guy one time risked his life pulling wounded soldiers out of a personnel carrier.

And don't forget, if you are at all serious about your own future, as in home and family, these guys both fight for their country and gain experience that looks great on a resume.

• To whatever guy shit-arrowed me, you could have at least posted a little bit of commentary as to why.

• I had this one date, she was nice and sweet. but i kept remembering she MURDERS people for a living and as a pacifist i couldn't get past it.
    I explained her and we realized we have irreconcilable differences and we separated.

• Not all of us kill people directly, I've never touched a GI gun outside of training...

• You're part of the system and that makes you an enemy of peace.
      I can't associate with people who uphold this status-quo.

• To each his own. But as stated by jeanbean not all of us kill. Just because some people under our branches do not all of us do.