I messed up the first kiss. Would this be going too far to fix it?

So basically, I've gone on three dates with the great guy. At the end of the third date, I was about to leave, but he said "hey do I get a hug?", so I walked back and hugged him, and as I was pulling back to break the hug, I realized a second too late that he was holding on to me and leaning in for a kiss. It was awkward, to say the least...
He's left today for a week-long vacation, but we're gonna see each other when he gets back. So I was thinking that when I see him next, even if it's at the start of the date, I can walk up to him, give him a hug, and kiss him. Then to alienate further awkwardness just smile and say something like "OK now that we got that out of the way... how was your trip?"
Aaaand go from there.
What do you think? Guys, how would you feel if a girl did this to you?
I just feel bad that I messed up the first attempt, and I don't want him to think I'm not interested.

Most Helpful Guy

• Happens, so no problem for you, just concentrate on what comes next and on the present moment.

What Guys Said 4

• Sounds good to me. I actually had a similar experience happen to me with a girl I dated, and needless to say, I LOVED the kiss! Total surprise.

• Sounds perfect. You're doing it right.

• That'd be the best way to resolve it and show that you're interested. Definitely do that (use tongue if you're up for it).
    Send me the footage too please.

• Haha wow, credibility completely ruined with that last statement.

• No biggie if u wanna just say come here as soon as u see him and go for it

What Girls Said 2

• To be honest, saying "OK now that we got that out of the way... how was your trip?" sounds a bit rehearsed and unnatural to me (but if that's just something you'd say naturally, never mind). But yeah, a hug and kiss (even if it's a peck on the cheek) would be good :) xx

• Haha, okay fair enough. I just feel like I need something to say right after so I don't just stand there awkwardly grinning like an idiot :P

• rocksongwriter, that's just adorable!

• Ahhh, that is adorable! But I don't know if I'm confident enough to pull that off, haha

• Yes, but just don't say that.

• How come?

• OK now that we got that out of the way - it makes it look like a chore

• Okay, that makes sense. Got any counter suggestions?