I'm 18. I like a 28 yr old guy. I really want to date him. But parents are apposed?

He's 28 I'm 18. We like each other But I'm scared he may or may not be too old. It's what my parents say... but I really like him. So I wonder if it's them effecting me. And should I make a relationship with him?

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all, your parents are stupid. If I had a daughter who was 18 and dating a 28 year old, then for as long as the guy wasn't dangerous and she isn't getting pregnant, what do I care? How is she supposed to learn about men and relationships if I'm constantly keeping her sheltered and living in a bubble while she sneaks around behind my back and potentially getting herself into bigger trouble?

Secondly, that 28 year old was 18 once upon a time. He's 10 years older now. He's still a person, and guess what, he's in a better position than 18 or 22 year olds. Hopefully he's finished with his education, he's working, he's getting financially stable, he's ready to start building a life with someone, by 28 he's less likely to cheat on you, his eyes aren't blurred with testosterone anymore and he can actually focus on your sexual needs and pleasing you sexually, he can actually listen to you and you guys can have a real relationship together, etc.

Third and lastly, if he's a nice guy, you can safely have a sneak-peak at what life 10 years down the road looks like, and decide if you want to rush full speed ahead or if you maybe want to slow down and enjoy where you are right now.

• That's the best. And he went to college. Owns his own car shop. Practically owns his house and he's perfect except for age

• You had me at "owns his own car shop."

What Guys Said 2

• My parents met at the same age range and just celebrated their 49th anniversary. Follow your instinct after you deeply consider the situation without your course being dictated by others.

• Just listen to your parents. We don't know you or the other guy, but we do know that your parents probably want your best. I know it may not be what you want to hear right now... but whenever a door is shut, a window opens!

What Girls Said 4

• Honestly, you're a legal adult. And there are plenty of people with a 10 year age gap. It's become quite common actually. I think your parents want what's best for you and may be opposed because they're looking out for your best interests but really it's up to you what you decide and who you want to get to know.
    I think you should be careful at first. You really need to find out what his real intentions are.
    I as well am 18 and I liked a 25 year old.
    I think that it's also a matter of maturity. Do you act older? Does he act younger?
    Really age isn't a problem, it's just his intentions you want to be wary of. You don't want to be used by him, and he's had 10 more years experience than you. He may be doing that.

But I think go for it. Tell your parents you're responsible enough to decided who you want to be with, and assure them you will be careful. :) Best of luck

• This is a hard one. When I was 19, I dated a guy that was 30. I would NEVER want my daughter to date someone with that kind of age difference at 18 or 19 because of that. It was exciting to date someone that had what seemed like unlimited funds to spend on me, but it became apparent that there were reasons that he didn't date women his age. You have to think about his reasons for wanting to date someone your age. Why doesn't he want to date a woman that is his age and shares some of the same experiences? (This is not a slam at you in any way so please don't take it that way!!) Your interests are different than his, they have to be. His being older doesn't mean that he won't cheat on you as suggested above. Part of the fun of being young is dating people your own age with similar interests!! It goes fast... so, don't waste it on an older man, LOL!!

• 10 years age gap is a lot at 18. It depends if you are ready to be in a relationship with a guy who is so mature and older than you - who at that age is ready to look settle down

• I remembered that when I was 19, I dated guys who are 30-35 years old. The reason was because I think they are really mature and caring, and a more stable relationship with me. Then I stopped dating much older guys because I miss the boyish, no winkles smiles and young people topics. So I'm dating guys who are slightly older than me now, and I enjoy the relationship better.

Well it's a good experience, you have to try dating different people to know what type or age people you like. And I only told my close friends about these, I didn't let my family know because they will not accept it.