Can you friendzone someone nicely?

About a week a go I met this guy, afriend of a friend. He seemed cool and everything, we talked, had fun and stuff. He started messaging me on facebook. At first I thought "sure why not he's cool", but then he became kinda overly attatched. He keeps telling me how great I am, and it seems he's like in love with me or something. I want to stay friends, because I genuinely like him and we have a lot of common interests, but he is kinda clingy and I wouldn't wanna date him. Is there a way to put him in the friendzone (for now anyway), but still do it in like a nice-ish way?

Most Helpful Guy

• The nicest to do this is to tell him as soon as possible so no one get hurt in the long-term. Mind you, he probably will move on to something better. But like others on here said either you be with him or just cut him off

What Guys Said 7

• A guy and a girl cannot be "just friends" if one likes the other. Every guy knows this, but most girls seem to live in fantasyland that they can continue to be "just friends" with a guy who they know likes her. THAT WON'T WORK - he will ALWAYS want to be with you, and you are torturing him by keeping him around, because he will always interpret "friendship" as HOPE of a future relationship.

If a guy likes you, you have exactly two choices: date him, or cut off all contact with him. That's it. Choose one.

• I see your point, but it's kind of sad; it's basically a lose-lose situation..

• That's right. But that's the reality, and both of you will be better off once you accept the reality. If you try to FriendZone him, you'll both end up more miserable in the long run.

• You cant'.
    This kind of question frustrates me so much.
    Women have this Flowery... oh.. men and women can be friends cause he is just such a nice guy.. yada.. yada..
    Men and women cannot be friends in the way women think of "friends"
    and their is no way to do it nicely if he has feelings for you.
    So most likely you just need to tell him and that will be the end of it.
    If he stays "friends" it is because he wants to stay in the picture because he is hoping there will be another chance at some point.
    The guy, given the chance, will always want to have sex with the woman.

• I am guilty of this and the nicest way would be to tell him that you can only offer friends and nothing more

• Friendzone (for now anyways)? What are you keeping a reserve? Just tell him, so he can move on.

• No thatws not how I meant it, I haven't known him for long, so I'm not sure how things are gonna go..

• No, there isn't. Friend-zoning is a type of "killing softly" if you will. Your best bet is to be direct if you dislike his advances. If they are advances that is.

• No, the nicer you do it the worse it is. The best thing you can do for this poor guy is to cut off all ties.

• That seems really mean though. I get that false hope is like the worst thing he can get, but still, I would feel horrible if I just stopped talkingto him

• Not as horrible as he'll feel if you don't.

• True.. I'm gonna try I guess

• Nope there's no such thing as putting someone in the friendzone nicely

What Girls Said 3

• From my experience, I put myself at a distance to overly attached male friends. It works to a certain extent to relay your message. Doing this, I'd talk to them a month later; and we're chill.

However, the most effective way is to tell him (if it ever gets brought up). Guys don't see through our indirect ways. They function better with being direct :P I hope he doesn't take it too seriously. Good luck!

• You are right, males not only like to be told up front, but most often don't get indirect ways anyway.

• The nicest way is to say "Awww your so sweet... Thats why i think of you as a brother." Lmao i do it all the time. It works. They hurt. But they eventually forgive you and for some reason they still try to pursue you

• Be forward. The more time you waste saying "D'aw thank you!" or "You're so nice." the more the poor kid will be hooked and strung along. Don't keep him as an option either. You either like him in that aspect or you don't. Friendzoning is selfish. In the end he'll decide whether you'll be worth his time and effort after you tell him his pursuit is on deaf ears.

• That's the problem, I don't wanna be selfish and keep him as an option, but I really like him, just not the dating kind of "like"

• Tell him. Like I said, after he's aware that you're not interested he can stick around by his own choice. Do let him know you value the friendship but also be very honest and open.