Guys only please. How would you react if you're girlfriend told you she had an eating disorder?

Okay so yea basically I have been seeing this guy for a while and he is so sweet and funny and we get along great. He tells me almost everything about himself and always says how wonderful it is we trust each other. But I have been hiding my eating disorder from him. I have been anorexic/bulimic for about three years now and have been seeing doctors for it and all so please don't make this a "seek help" type deal because i am seeking the help i need and want to recover. The only worry I have is how to tell my bf and how he will react.

212

Most Helpful Guy

• If it were me that you were dating... I would like to believe that we tell each other everything because the relationship is new. If there was something which might question the future of the relationship, I would want to know because I would be investing in the relationship, so it grows and lasts a long time.

I could accept that you held back for a short while, but the longer you left it, the more I would question about why you took so long to tell... and the longer you took, the more I would wonder if you trusted me... so delay is ok but not for to long.

Then if the man is going to end the relationship and your eating disorder was the reason, I think you are better off letting him go.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 11

• That isn't something to be ashamed of, or embarrassed about!!! If i was dating you, I would want you to trust me enough to tell me that you have this issue, and you are getting help. As your friend/boyfriend, I would make it a point to go with you and try to support you in any way that i could, even if you didn't feel really comfortable, at first, but just trusting that I wouldn't be judging, but trying to find something that i could do, to help you get through it. To me, that is 'Love', that is a 'Committed relationship' with someone that you care about!!
    If it was me, I would prefer you to just be confident, and trust, and just tell me, openly. Unfortunately, a lot of guys can't be man enough to deal with tough issues, and only love superficially.
    I hope that yours isn't like them!
    Whatever happens, don't listen to anyone that judges you, or criticizes. Get help, and you can get through it, with, or without him. How he reacts will tell you if he really cares for you or not!!
    I don't know you, but I want you to know that you can do this, and get through it, and be the AMAZING person you are!! There is only ONE of you, and you is AMAZING!! Best wishes, and prayers for you!

• Well, you only have one option, in my eyes, and that is to communicate this to him. There is no telling how he will react. However, the sooner you come out with this, the better and less chance he will be upset. This really shouldn't be a big deal at all, at least it would never be for me. Good luck.

• Thats simple set up a nice date go out to dinner movie or etc. And just tell him explain why you have it that your over coming it and that you wanted to be honest with him about yourself. If he really likes you he will be supportive and ask what he could do to help. If he doesn't then he isn't worth your time. Everyone has problems aome people hise them really well. at least you admit you have a problem and are seeking help to better yourself thats admirable.

• I would support her in getting over it. If it got in our way and she refuses to work on it i could see it causing problems.

• I'd probably start nagging her that that's not healthy and that she's attractive no matter what so why on earth would she make herself suffer, it's not good for her throat either as vomiting so often deteriorates the throat due to the acidic substance, and seriously it's bad for you so stop

• If he truly likes you or loves you he won't care about it, and if not why would you care?

• He's your bf, if he cares about you he will support you.

• I would be understanding and be there for her to help her through it

• I'd be hesitant, but depends how severe it is.

• Hesitant to tell him or hesitant after he found out?

• I would help her get over this and not behave like freak.. i would support her no matter what..

• Take her to kfc straight away. for real

• Seriously? wtf

• At least I would have made her smile and my heart is in the right place

• Yes very true. Thanks for your input.

What Girls Said 2

• He should be supportive. I would hope that he is, but people who don't understand often get scared off.

• I've had a friend who was like that and her bf didn't know until she told him... he said " no. you can't do that to yourself you gotta take care of yourself" what he meant was EAT and don't harm yourself