"Guys don't like girls who are in love with them"? Is this true?

I've heard this before.. and I've heard that girls should basically play hard to get and try to make the guy chase them. If the girl really likes the guy, he will lose interest. Is this true? Then if a girl really likes a guy, should she try to be cool about it and pretend like she doesn't?

Most Helpful Guy

• No that's bull. Only if a girl is really clingy does it put a guy off. Or is too upfront about how much she likes him BEFORE he says he likes her SOMETIMES it can put them off, others it's a plus.

What Guys Said 12

• Every time you hear things like that, do you ever bother asking yourself "why?"

"If that were true, why would that be true?"

"If that were not true, then why would other girls or media that caters to other girls say that that's true?"

"Why is that true? What is the 'reasoning' behind why this is true?"

Is the purpose of this "belief" genuine "dating advice" or advice about men, or rather, is it instead simply an "emotional comfort" tool to tell yourself to try and not get hurt during the dating process (whilst justifying your defensive behavior during dating)?

Emotional comfort for what? What fear might this be an excuse or justification device for?

"We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all." - Eleanor Roosevent

• No this is not I don't know how old you are as you have posted anonymously. But this is Avery childish point of view and untrue.

• On the contrary, knowing a girl loves you makes you interested in her. If she's not your type or you don't like her, it still makes you happy that you're noticed. I had something happen like that. I heard from someone that a girl liked me (happened to me quite a few times) but one of those occasions, it was a girl who I've taken notice of earlier and liked. That got me even more interested in her and eventually we talked and dated.

• No not at all, dont play hard to get, its confusing and makes us think you aren't interested, you could miss out on some great guys if you give them the cold shoulder, dont do it.

• I would be happy for a girl to be in love with me but if I wasn't in love with her then I wouldn't be so keen on it obviously.

• I can only dream of having a girl in love with me but sadly I feel that is never going to become reality since nobody shows any interest in me.

• Knowing someone loves you is always a good thing no matter what.

• Depends. If I am truly into the girl and she is truly into me... that's great.

If its a girl I am sort of into but not really... I don't really like her.

There have been times in my life (most recently) where I have genuinely liked a girl, made efforts to take her on dates and be close to her... only to be shut down.

• ""Guys don't like girls who are in love with them"?"
    Whoever says that is as full of $*** as a Christmas goose.

• False. Childish mind games are why most guys lose patience and move on.
    Or if they pursue they lost all respect for the girl and just want to fuck her already and move on.

• No that's not true if they like you back. Basically all of those things justify a girl doing less and less. Don't listen to that crap

• But what if the girl really really likes you? it would be kind of weird for the guy because there's no thrill of the chase.. let's say you like her back, you're attracted to her, but not to the same extent

• If they are not attracted to them on the same level them maybe it would be a little annoying to them. I'm not really sure. I personally do not want the "thrill of the chase ". All I get from that is she doesn't want me and I'll purposely move in quickly since I want a woman who can actually be up front about stuff

• Not true at all. Please don't do this.

What Girls Said 4

• basically don't overdo it. still keep ur own life. you don't really respect a person who drops everything for a new date any and every time they call. ur keeping a level of distance in the beginning bc u don't know them like that yet. you can still be flirty just not thirsty

• not true, my guy is really happy that Im texting him that much. he said its amazing to know that someone loves you so much. he has always dreamed of a sweet girlfriend like me. we have distance problems but I mean guys do like to know that you love them.

• It doesn't mean that. It means that you shouldn't run after a guy. Everyone I know with a serious boyfriend had the boyfriend make the first move

• this is an interesting question i want to know the answer haha, whenever i show the slightness of liking a boy they shut down buts its okay for them to be flirting and all that 24/7. i dont get it!!