Is rap music a turn off?

I listen to a lot of different genres of music, but I primarily follow Hip-Hop music, definitely listen to it 10x more than anything else. I'm pretty down to earth but can certainly listen to some trashy shit that can come across very cocky and misogynistic. None of it really reflects my values but I'm almost afraid girls think differently about me when I tell them I like Kanye or Eminem or whatever. A girl I'm interested in is mostly into punk rock, and while I try to play what she likes when we hang out, we don't have a lot in common in music taste. Is music taste a big deal in first impressions, etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• When hip-hop was created in the 80's, it was a movement for black youth in America to get their voices heard and to spread awareness throughout the AA community. The dynamic of hip-hop has drastically changed; due to the genres mainstream success. Modern day hip-hop is nothing but watered down lyrics and an obnoxious beat. Personally I perfer the old
    Than the new, and if your a fan of the old
    We can get along great, but if you like this
    Mainstream bs that's clogging up the air ways, and is disrespectful to women. Yes it is a major turn off.

What Girls Said 6

• Depends. I Like Kanye's music but as a whole I don't support him as a person. Eminem is amazing and I also like Little Jon. Snoop Dog isn't really my favorite.

Over all I don't really listen to rap, but it doesn't turn me off or bother me.

• Yes, it is disrespectful, rude, crude and just a bunch of talking in my opinion

• Certain rap music is, others isn't. As is with every music genre.

• Not really. I'm into hip hop, my best friend is a proper punky girl, and her music is like some kinda heavy metal or rock or whatever... I don't know what it is lol... anyway,, her boyfriend is into hip hop to.
    They always show each other tracks from their music and be like "you really saying this isn't good?" they just have fun with it lol.

• It's like hearing fingernails glide across a chalkboard when it's not ur taste. Then the tingly feeling from the glide kicks in and you wanna throw up.

• a little bit

What Guys Said 2

• no, it's people who live priveleged lives who don't get it..

• Rap is not music & anyone over the age of 3 with a mouth that can make any form of sounds can be a Rap... "artist". You don't necessarily need to be able to talk but you do need to be able to jump around a stage like a freak while grabbing your balls. Now that's talent.