About "friendzoning" a guy?

I've gone out with someone a few times, and I liked hanging out with him, he's a good guy, but I honestly don't feel anything more for him than friends. I have to break things off... so should I tell him that, about not feeling more than being friends, or what? Because I feel like guys hate hearing that, and yet, that's just the truth of it. If there's a better way to say it or something, let me know please.

Most Helpful Girl

• I literally just dealt with this same situation. Great guy, we have tons in common, he's funny and smart, but I just don't feel any romantic or sexual attraction towards him.
    I told him that. I just said "Hey, so after giving it some thought, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not feeling a romantic connection with you. I think you're a lot of fun, and I like hanging out with you, and I would like to be friends, but only if you're okay with that."
    And he seemed to take it well, if maybe a little coldly, but that's fair enough, I guess. Maybe we'll hang out more, maybe we won't. But at least we both know that the dating thing is off the table.
    Frankly, I think it's best to be honest. He deserves that, especially if he's a good guy.

• Yeah, that's pretty much my exact situation, and the way it went too. He also wanted to know more about why though, because apparently this happens to him a lot. Didn't know what to say really, it just is what it is, but yeah. Thanks!

• No problem! I really identified with what you said. Yeah, not gonna lie, it was painfully awkward to answer why. I think he wanted me to tell him what specifically he did wrong, or what was his issue, but it wasn't anything like that. He really is a great guy, I just didn't feel anything romantic for him. I don't think I'm going to see him again, which kinda sucks, but I understand.

• Yeah, if I think about it, I don't know if I'd be comfortable hanging out with someone who rejected me. Even if it was in a kind way. I mean, I don't know exactly what his feelings were towards me, or how strong they were, but I was still the one that shut it down.

What Guys Said 2

• Be direct and tell him exactly how it is, and how you feel.
    Guys can't take a hint. We can't know what you feel and what you mean when you feel it.
    But if you explain, we understand... :)

Be as direct as possible. Sit down, tell him in a calm and nice way.
    And dont give any false hopes to him like: "maybe someday in the futture my feelings will come back"

• You can ask him to stay friends if that's what you earnestly want. As long as you're clear about your intentions.

It's up to the guy to decide what he wants and doesn't want.

Just don't try to make him feel cheap if he decide to cut things off.

What Girls Said 1

• You have to tell him before it's too late! Before I had a boyfriend my best guy friend thought I was into him cause we were really close and then when we were at a party he tried to hook up with me and tried to feel me up. Def talk to him so it doesn't get awkward between you like what happened to me