Christians, would you date/marry someone outside of your denomination? Would they have to convert or would you convert?

This question is really for anyone apart of any Christian faith, although other religions and non-religious people can contribute a also (as long as you're respectful, please.)

For those of you that are Christian, would you date/marry someone OUTSIDE of your denomination? They are still religious and Christian, just not apart of your church. Would your family be okay with it? Do you think it could work out or would it not even matter? Would you or your spouse have to convert?

The reason I ask this is because here in the South specific Christian denominations actually cause divides among some people. Methodists generally tend to keep amongst themselves, same with Baptists, Roman Catholics, Presbyterian, etc. While dividing over religion shouldn't happen anymore, I can see why it still persists (traditions, culture, etc.). I've actually been rejected by one girl in the middle of a date because she was a strict Baptist and as soon as she learned I was a Roman Catholic she couldn't continue it out of her own preferences and those of her family. I don't think religion should be as much of a deal breaker as it is, but obviously that's not the case still. In another example, my dad was a Catholic and my mom was Methodist. They married anyways and about 12 years down the road my mom decided to convert once she liked and understood the religion enough. So differences CAN workout, even if a conversion happens.

So would you date/marry someone outside of your denomination? Would they or you have to convert?

• I'm a Christian and would be OK with dating outside my denomination.
  • I'm a Christian and would NOT be okay with dating outside of my denomination.
  • I'm a Christian and would date someone outside my denomination unless one of us converted. (Who?)
  • I'm a Christian and will date anyone of any religion as long as I'm not forced to convert.
  • I'm not a Christian OR I'm non-religious.

Most Helpful Girl

• When my parents met my dad was strictly Southern Baptist and my mother was from a Nazarene church. I wouldn't say those two denominations have many differences (that I know of), but my mom did end up transitioning to the Baptist church in the end. I honestly think that if the most important beliefs are consistent across denominations (accepting Jesus into your life) then the differences between them are pretty miniscule in comparison. I think it's pretty extreme to reject someone if, like you said, one person is Catholic and another is Baptist.

What Girls Said 5

• I am a Christian and i would NOT get into a relationship with anyone who is atheist or has different religious beliefs. I wouldn't mind dating an Agnostic though. The reason why I wouldn't date someone with different religious beliefs or none is because I would only get into a relationship (not dating) if I see a potential future or marriage with that individual and I would want my children to grow up as Christians. I also would like someone to go to church with me :)

• I'm not religious, and I find it preferable to date someone who is also not religious. My boyfriend right now is somewhat religious but it's been okay since he's not serious about it whatsoever. He believes in heaven, hell, god, the devil... all that stuff, but he doesn't care much about any of it. He says "I believe those things exist, I just don't think they have anything to do with us." I'm cool with it because he doesn't think I'm wrong for believing in what I do, he's very accepting and I appreciate that.
    I've been very good friends with devout Christians, but I could never ever be in a relationship with one because of my experiences in those friendships.

• I'm a Christian, but I don't actually follow one particle denomination, so that being said, I have no problem dating men from any Christian denomination. I would be open to dating men with different religious beliefs as well, as long as they respected that I had my own beliefs, as I would respect that they have theirs.

• I said A but i'm a Independent Baptists so I would still only date other types of Baptists or maybe like a Methodist. They still need to believe like I do.

• I've never been attracted to anyone outside of my denomination, so it's never been an issue for me. But my religion is important to me. I can't imagine being married to someone who didn't share that important part of my life with me.

What Guys Said 2

• I am an atheist and would likely not date anyone again who wasn't an atheist or agnostic. I dated a fundamentalist new earth creationist a couple of years ago, and upon realizing just how religious she was, I told her I was an atheist so as not to deceive her. She then proceeded to physically assault me, while spewing some of the most un-Christian vitriol towards me that I have ever heard. Never again will I put up with that.

• I asked god for the perfect girl. I searched for her and i never thought i would meet her at my curch. Since the begging i had a crush on her but i thought she would never date me. I was honestly a jerk to her. But god started shifting our lives and i realized that that girl i asked god was infront of my eyes all along. We opened up to eachother and we started dating. Whenever we have struggles we let god take care of it.