What do you think about a 16 years old dating a 22?

in my country it is alloud so what do you think about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a complicated question that can't be answered by a simple good or bad. as long as boundary's are accepted by both party's involved and communication is sturdy then it has a great potential to be a successful. That being said we all know that those things often more than not don't happen witch is why there are in some country's laws against it also because how a failed relationships effect the mind of younger people may be a very detrimental effect of that persons ability to continue mental growth. In either case you should be aware of the risks at least and know that there are potentially very good and bad things that can come of it. As long as you can understand that and take responsibility for the things that may come to pass then really what anyone else thinks is not important it really falls on you to decide the important of your own decition and understand the risks and rewards from that decision.

• I love him and I will always love him. I'm almost 17 but he's in December 23. 6 years is a lot bit it doesn't feel like 6 years. i'm very mature for my age so he thought I was 19 or maybe 20.

• Yes that's the most important thing give him time. i have to be patient. But that's hard. Just have to convince him that I won't ever hurt him. But first I'll give him time

• Good then.

What Guys Said 19

• I don't understand what is it with men chasing girls straight out of puberty. It's like they only want for fresh meat, feels like predator behavior. Were would he meet this 16 year old at? Even if it's legal, she's in high school and dude's an adult. I'm 19 and I don't even hit on high school girls so when a 22 year old does it, I'm like really -_-
    Now if that 16 year old girl was a smartass girl who blew through highschool and was in college, then maybe I could see it in a positive light, but not really.
    Then again my opinion might be biased cause I always go after older girls, so I guess to each their own. Just don't let him use you.

• i'm already doing college, in the netherlands it's different. i'm done with highschool! But we've met on holiday and he thought I was 19.. But I'm 16 or actually 17 in a few days. In the netherlands it's aloud to date someone older, even when he's 45. They don't care about those things. And I'm happy because I'm very mature for my age so we don't even feel like there's age difference. We had 2 amazing weeks together and we're talking for 2 months now and yes we both love each other. He's amazing, or actually amazingly sweet. He is really interested in me and my family, my hobbies. Plus he worked at the camping where i met him and he was amazing with kids. Sounds like mr perfect haha

• We can see each other soon. If we're going to try then I'll try to see him as soon as possible. I understand you, it's sweet. i have a brother too but he's 20. i haven't told him yet about thay guy but I quess he won't like it. So I'm not going to tell my bro anything until it's serious. 16 is maybe young but I'm very mature for my age so I feel like 19 or something. He already talked about sex a little bit when he's with me again. So yes we'll see. That's my only insecure thing he is really experienced and I am totally not. But we will see what happens. What matters is that I love him and that he's a really nice guy! :)

• Oh and I will see him definitely next summer because he's working at the camping where I'm staying for 2 weeks.

• Trust me, I'm being genuine when I say this... As long as you're not breaking the law, do what you want with your life. Our opinions should be irrelevant to your personal decisions.

When I was 18, I was too old for 15 year olds. When I was 19, I was too old for 16 year olds.
    When I was 20; I was too old for 17 year olds.

Now that I'm 24, the same girls that were apparently "too young" are now 21, and age means nothing. No matter what anyone says, this is a stupid reason to not date someone. If there's chemistry, there's chemistry. 22 doesn't say anything about his maturity, personality, or goals.

Even with a 6 year age difference, the same applies. Maybe the gap is larger than what is typical, but if you get along, who's to say you should be together? When he's 28 and you're 22, the people that tried to keep you apart aren't saying jack shit. Do what you want, so long as it's legal.

• Good advice wow! Thank you! Yes it's legal her. When I met him and after 3 days I told him I was 16, he was like? Wow what? I thought you were 19 or something? So im very mature for my age and then the difference don't really matter anymore. We both like each other

• Whether or not this works out has nothing to do with age. So throw that out. You'll probably be with eachother longer than most people tend to stay in relationships (6-9 month range).

• It is slightly possible that it's ok for that to happen (Like if the dude genuinely likes who you are and is mature about it), but for the most part a 22 year old dude dating a 16 year old is probably the type of dude who is scummy. You have to think, is he with you because you are unique and special and shit like that, or is it because you're a 16 year old and he's into that. Probably the latter, because a 22 year old would only go looking for a 16 year old, if the girls his age that are more mature than yourself, see something wrong with him that you don't see. That, or he's just a pedophile.

• No i'm very mature for my age, when i first met him he thought i was 18 or 19. So we both love each other and it feels so good to be with him. He doesn't loved me because im 16 because he thought that i was older. So the age changes nothing.

• then you gotta think, are you only dating him because he is older? Be completely honest with yourself. Think about your true reasoning, rather than what you think your reasoning is.

• No I had no idea how old he was actually. I love him like I never loved someone before. He means the world to me. I may be young but have loved guyd before, but this is different. This is smiling for no reason, this is butterflies everytime we text, this is sleepless nights. This is amazing.

• In your country? What about the majority of OUR country?

http://www.ageofconsent.us/

Yeah, that's right.

• It's not about you, your boyfried or your country at all. It's about me my boyfriend and my country thanks

• (puts on cry-baby voice) no! *pouty face* it's about me ME ME!!!

• 16 is too young for a 22 year old.

• No not really. i'm very mature for my age, he thought I was 19 or 20. So that I'm 16 isn't stopping him from loving me

• Yes, yes really. You are a kid in high school, and he's the age to have graduated college.

• i am graduated already, here in the netherlands it's different. i'm starting college this year and he's doing university. i have a lot of older friends so an older boyfriend is really normal for me

• If it's legal in your country, it's OK. Just make sure he doesn't run everything and talk you into doing stuff you're not OK with. That's what folks were worried about when they passed the 18 and over laws in other countries.

• Yeah yeah we already talked about sex and stuff. I have no experience and he is really experienced so that's one thing where I'm a little afraid of. i already had enough chances in my life to had sex but the guys never loved me. And I love him and I know he loved me. So I want sex with him, not yet actually but it feels good with him. He's someone special. And he already told that if I'm not ready then we don't do it and that we'll take the time for it so I'll feel comfortable. By the way this is a long distance problem. Haven't seen him for 2 months we really miss each other and he's coming next month and then I'll stay with him in his hotel some nights maybe. That's why we talked about sex, he was wondering If I still was a virgin and things. It's good to talk about it, don't want him to expect too much

• I see no problem with it as long as they are mentally compatable. I understand the difference in culture so It is fine if that is exceptable in that culture.

• Yes it's legal here but this is a long distance problem.. But it's legal here and legal in Italy so we're both okay with it

• i really don't think its weird. I thought it was when i was that age... but it helps tremendously if the girl looks older, not younger than 16.

• If it's love, nothing else should matter, go for it. Be a bit careful though, be safe
    and as you say u are mature, thats better. I don't know why i have a hunch that i will also have a age difference with my gf, if i ever have one. Maybe, because iook older than i actually am.

• That's true thankyou! just hope we can make this work. But we first need a good talk together

• All i know is that in the U. S. that is not culturally permitted.
    So it would tough to ask for an outsiders opinion with a positive response.

• It's legal here haha but there are some good answers here. As long as it's legal and I love him then its good

• I suppose.

• I think it is fine, as long as you two are getting along, which it sounds like you are.
    I dated a 17 year old when I was 22, and we got along nicely.
    We had no problems, and were quite compatible.

• i'm 17 next month so it's kind of the same situation. We like each other so yes everything's going wel. But I don't really have a lot of experience with boys but he said that it's cute so yes he's amazing :)

• it's not a big difference

• No especially when I'm very mature for my age. It maybe feels like 2 years or something. It feels good to be with him!

• If your allowed to than i see no problem, it's not much of difference in age

• No it's not that much, he thought I was 19 so I'm very mature for my age

• Thank you so much! The problem is we're trying long distance.. But we're talking a lot if we're really want to try it

• If you both like each other I don't see an issue.

• Finally a positive advice wow thanks! Bit you're right. We're in love with each other so why would age stop us

• Everyone disagreeing is probably American (I am too). But in America we're quick to throw around words like pedophile, gold digger, etc. when we see age difference. It's just our culture, because in the US it doesn't matter how consensual it is. If you're over 18 and the other person isn't then you will go to jail and register as a sex offender.

Thibk about it this way: when you're 22 and 28 who will even care anymore

• Yes everybody is so negative but I live in the netherlands so it's legal here or actually nobody cares. i know he's not a pedophile haha. Thanks!

• Well if the 16 yo want to, then what's the problem?

• See Mena Suvari (31) dating Simone Sestito (25):
    www.egotastic.com/.../

• It's normal in a lot of countries I guess. It's frowned upon here in the United States though.

• Yes it's legal. It's really normal for me

• Its alright in my opinion

• Yes absolutely. When you love someone, age doesn't really matter anymore

• Yikes, I'd think neither of them can get their own age, so they settle for something immoral

• Guys of my age act like they're 10. And he thought I was 19 so when I told him I was 16, he already loved me. Why would you loving someone because of the age difference? It's legal here

• It's not about age. I met him on the camping 2 months ago and he worked there. So one of his colleagues asked If I want to go out with them. i was only 16 but I got inside the club and I got alcohol and everyone tought I was older. I'm very mature for my age. i'm doing college this year and there are people in my class who are also 22 it's normal. We both fell in love with each other so we've been together for 2 weeks and age doesn't really matter to us. We had so much fun together it was almost perfect

What Girls Said 16

• I think it's too big of an age gap. The maturity levels between a 16 year old and a 22 year old are way different. One is still basically a kid and the other is an adult. It's just too much in my honest opinion. But I guess if it's legal where you live then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it.

• i'm very mature for my age so it doesn't really feel like he's older. At first he thought i was 19 so yes..

• Honestly as long as your parents are okay with it, it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

• My parents don't know it yet.. Because we want to try long distance but we're not sure yet that's why I haven't told my parents yet but I know they will be okay with it. When i was with my parents at the camping the first day, they looked at him and asked me; do you think he's handsome? Haha so they already saw him once

• Kinda disgusting and creepy if you ask me. I think it's a really uncomfortable situation. I wouldn't agree with it because you're still a child. Lots of older men target the fresh out of puberty girls, I can guarantee you most of the time it's for one thing. Very few take young girls like you seriously, even if they claim you're so mature or whatever. It's a tough lesson in life, but this happened to a lot of my young, naive friends. They would cry to me about he was lying and used them. This is why I didn't date until 19years old. You may say "a lot of guys my age are so immature and I'm mature". That may be true, but why not just wait until you're older to date? That's what I did. I can't date young guys because they still act like children. I noticed this when I was 15 or 16 as well, but I felt the best solution was to wait until I was older, not jump to date a 20+yr old man.
    Now people say, "well why can a 21yr old date a 27yr old? But a 22yr old can't date a 16yr old? Same age gap." Although they're both the same age difference (6yrs), there's A LOT more difference in maturity level between someone in their teens and someone who's already an adult. So actually no, the age gap is not the same. Same amount of years, but trust me, a lot of different experiences. Past 20yrs old, most people finally start to consistently make adult decisions. At 16, yes, you can make a mature or adult decision for 1 thing like dating, but you still make child decisions in other aspects and you have the freedom to. Most older people can't. I can't imagine why in this day and age an older man would want such a young teen, I can imagine and know why most pedos do, but I hope your case is different.
    Now as long you understand these risks, and you both clearly make your intentions apparent, and if it's legal, as long as you're happy go for it. No matter how much we try to talk you out if it, you probably still will. Just stay safe sweetie and take care. :)

• Thank you so much! I met him at the camping where he worked as animator and we had 2 amazing weeks together. I went out with him and his colleagues, it was amazing! I know he's a guy who don't want sex only. He's very sweet and romantic. We have been together 24/7 for two weeks and I never had so much fun with some. He lives far away so we're talking about trying longdistance. i don't think he'll spend all his money on airplane tickets when he only wants sex.. But he's not like that. His colleagues already told me that he's amazingly sweet and that I can trust him. So I do but we're still talking about trying LDR. We're not sure yet because it's not going to be easy ofcourse

• My motto in life has always been: Age is just a number, Not a reminder... And in most cases, provided you're '16 and Up,' you are Mature enough to make a decision Who you want to date and who is your soul mate, and it's just one of life's lessons in love if it doesn't work out or even if it------Does...
    Good luck. xx

• I just saw that you are in LDR, and I for one know how hard That can be, regardless of Any age difference. I married a man out in Egypt a few years ago, and after returning to the states, we Have had out ups and downs, for it has been difficult with What everything becoming even Much worse Out in the Middle East, for me to go back out to visit... But with God's guidance, I believe He is telling me Go to him in November, make it for His December 13 birthday, and with This, I am so close to the airport here, that I feel that I will this time be packing up soon... xx

• Wow thanks for your amazing advice! He lives in italy and I live in the Nethetlands so it's only 1,5 hour with the plane. But I'm too young to travel alone. And my parents met him at the camping 2 months ago but before I can travel alone to him, I think he first have to come here and meet my parents a little better. My parents don't know that I lovehim.. But we're not trying long distance yet.. We're still talking about it, if it's possible and things. But I really love that guy so I want to give it a try! I know it's going to be hard and he'll be busy with the university but I know we can make this work and he's afraid to get hurt again. He already tried LDR and that failed. But I won't ever hurt him. He means the world to me. I'd rather have a broken heart after trying then that I'll regret it because we haven't even tried. i'm maybe young to try this but we both have nothing to lose

• Try Skype and Yahoo and this will help keep things going longer... I have been in a LDR for nearly Four years now, however, older, I was able to get my passport to fly over and then Marry my guy. Yes, be determined, stay with it, you don't live that far, adn if it is meant to be, Old Mother Nature will sow the seeds needed to reap this romance and before you know it, you will be this flower that has Boomed and Bloomed because you would have worked as One to make it happen... Yes, stay focused, stay determined and if you love him, which I see that you do, nothing wil prevent you both from making this happen... You're so welcome... xx

• "yuck"
    i wonder why he can't find someone more appropriate.

• Because he fell in love with me. i'm very mature for my age so he has no idea I was only 16. age doesn't really matter anymore

• well if it is allowed in your country then it would have to depend on the maturity of both people. its only a 6 year difference (what my fiance and I are at), but being a teen and in your early 20s there is a huge difference in maturity.
    But for me here in FL hell no. That will get you prison time for sure.

• Yes its allowed here. I have never heard anyone about this.. i know a girls who's 15 and she's dating someone who is 30 ohmygod that is too bad. I always told myself that I liked boys who where 1 or maybe 2 years older but I fell in love with this guy, age difference or not. And because I'm very mature for my age, it doesn't feel like he's 6 years older

• well I can't say anything bad. I have the same age difference. In 2 years no one will care anyway. iTs good you found love

• Thank you so much!

• I think its to old that's just my opinion

• Being in love jas nothing to do with age, when we first met I didn't even thought about his age but he thought that I was 18. I always said that I love guys who are 1 or 2 years older. But I fell in love with him age or not.

• I don't care about that that's on you if you want to be with him but honestly I'm 17 and would date anyone that is like 23 that's to old for me. But if that's what you like and that's what you want then you take it. But you might want to be careful with those older guys, because sometimes they don't really love you they love something else you probably know what that is, or at least I hope you do. But I was 16 once and I've been there done that but no he wasn't no 6 years old than me. If its legal there than okay I'm not the one who is 16 going out with some 22 year old, to old for me. Sweet now sweet sometimes all those older boys want to do is pressure you into doing something you don't want too, and sometimes kissing can go a long way. Look if you want to be with him and he makes you happy that's on you but that's just my opinion.

• For me it is too much. Tried dating a 23 year old, realized we had different plans and interests. broke it off in 2 days. But for you, as long as he doesn't force you into anything and you two click, then it's ok.

• Aw I'm sorry that it didn't worked out. No ofcourse he won't force me. We're trying long distance by the way so it's even more difficult.. But we're having some good talks before we'll try. He had already tried once and that failed. She really hurt him.. So he's afraid to get hurt again. But I won't hurt him never ever. I really love that guy and he loves me too but I understand him. That's why we need to have a good talk :)

• Its a little odd because you are not 18 yet, but honestly I can't be a hypocrite because someone I like is 26/25 and I'm 20 so there is not really a difference. It just feels weird right now because its teen and he's 22 so it's odd, but do what you want. If it feels right to you do you boo boo! :)

• He thought I was 19 of older so I'm very mature for my age. i dont really act as a teen anymore. In the netherlands is school different so I'm already done with highschool and I start college this year. I have people in my class who are also 22 or even older sometimes so it's kind of normal for me actually

• mmmhm. That's strange (good) it think cultural differences is awesome and interesting. So if its normal than you have nothing to worry about :)

• What country you in? Lol cause if you woulda say America I was gone be like 2 words: HAYYL NAWL

• The netherlands

• So it's legal here. I have never heard anybody about it actually. And I'm glad haha

• It's fine to me. I've always dated older guys. Some people on this site with judge the guy really harshly, but honestly, do whatever the hell you want.

• Yes thank you! i mean guys of my age oh my god they act like little kids so annoying! 6 years difference is maybe a lot but it doesn't feel like 6 years

• I think it's totally OK!

• What happens in a consensual relationship between adults is nobody's business. but theirs.

• If its legal go for it. I'm 19 and date lots of 30-40 y/o guys. People tell me I have daddy issues... they may be right lol. I say if you like him who cares!

• I mean 30 is too old for me haha 22 is not that old right? But as long as you enjoy dating them, do it and have fun! :)

• Hell yes, It's allowed in our country too, so in my opinion it's awesome to have a bf who's older than me T_T I wish I had one... DO IT GIRL XD

• Ah yes thankyou! It's awesome to have a boyfriend who's older oh my god. He's being so sweet everytime

• A muslim guy asked me for a date , he's 22 too and yea I'm your age now but 17 in two months... And I don't know Wht to do 0_o he's damn sweet to me T_T
      I still didn't say yes but he's still waiting XD

• i'm 17 also in 2 months!! Say yes, give it a try. You have nothing to lose :)

• I don't care, it's not my state

• Ah great. i don't care neither. We love each other, it's legal, why would we care?

• The sad thing is, if this was reversed you would get so much praise

• But it's not reversed and everything is going well between us so it's good

• IMO... not acceptable at all at those ages it's to much of an age gap... add a decade and the age wouldn't matter... but right now it does... but that's just my opinion

• He thought I was 18 so we went out a lot in Italy, had fun together. But when we were whatsapping after I left we both really missed each other. He didn't loved me because I was a young girl. At first, I'm very mature for my age and 2nd I'm in college with guys who are also 22 or even older so it's really normal for me