Guy said I'm too good for him? Help please?

So, there's this guy at uni who I really like. He is very smart, quiet and funny. He doesn't have many friends, he's always reading a book when I see him. He's sort of shy, so I made an effort to talk to him and we seem to have a lot in common including the same sense of humour. He's more outgoing when you get to know him.
Anyway, on Thursday I asked him out on a date, he was looking down when I asked him, and he said:
Him: "I don't think that's a good idea."
Me: "What are you too good for me? [jokingly]"
He then looked me directly in the eyes
Him: "The opposite. You don't want to be with me. You're happy, optimistic and exuberant. I am... not. Trust me, you don't wan't to be with me.
Then he put money on the table to pay for our coffee's and said "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I mean, what do I do? How do I get him to go out with me?
Advice is much appreciated

• Ask again - insist
  • Flirt with him more
  • Just leave it alone
  • Other
Oh, I forgot to mention that on two occasions he has said that I am beautiful, if that matters.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only insist if you're ready to involve yourself with a guy that's full of issues, that has too low self-esteem to approach you, talk to you on his own or ask you out himself. That is NOT a person that can support you in a relationship. It sounds everything like a guy who will abandon you at every turn because he can't separate himself from the idea that he's the problem and that you're better off without him. It's bad news and it would be a lot of work for you to build up his esteem enough for him to actually be a good boyfriend to you, but hey it's your choice. I say leave it alone. If he doesn't come to you himself, he just isn't a man enough to be able to be a boyfriend.

What Guys Said 6

• He obviously has some confidence problems (maybe depression?), so he doesn't feel like he deserves you. If you are really interested in him you could insist and make him see he's worthy of being happy. If you're not that interested in him, don't, because it may suck your energy and positivism and you will give him fake hope.

• Tell him you think he is wrong because you two really haven't had a chance to get to know each other. Ask him to start out small and simple. Just a drink.

• Hmm, I've dealt with this before and trust me it's never easy. For one it could be a number of reasons, low confidence in himself as a partner, fear of disappointment from you, difficult past relationship experiences, or even depression. I'd say try again and if he still says no ask him why he thinks that you're too good for him?

• He likes you but it sounds like he might suffer from depression. Keep insisting. Tell him that it never hurts to try something and you never now the outcome of anything.

• That's pretty sad actually. He either has very low self esteem or he's (maybe clinically) depressed.

• tell him there maybe 1000's of hot guys out there but none of them can be special like u ;)

What Girls Said 0