Too Smart: A Turn Off? Girls Opinions Please!?

I'm a really smart person because I put a ton of time into my school work and make it my top priority: I have a 4.0 GPA in two very difficult majors (math and finance). I'm not trying to brag or anything here, I'm just trying to present my problem.

Every time I talk to girls, I feel like my smartness is an instant turnoff. When girls ask my major, when I say I am a double major, they seem impressed, almost like I am a superhero celebrity, and not romantically interested.

Also, I tend to talk about school work a ton, not really by choice, but because people come to me asking for help. I have a hard time carrying a conversation about something else because of this.

Girls: Would this be a turnoff to you? What can I do to sound less "nerdy" and more interesting, when people always try to talk to me about school? Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• I have this same "nerdy" problem. As of now, i'm in college, majoring in the business/financial division of Economics. In high school I was often called a Nerd but I preferred Overachiever because I didn't think I was that smart. I just knew that I was a hard worker. Well in 2013, this overachiever, ended up graduating from high school as Salutatorian with only a 3.87 compared to the Valedictorians 3.95. Guys always referred to me like "You go head with yo Smart Azz" rather than the haters who would call me a "Smartaxx". But basically, my so-called nerdiness didn't stop me from getting guys. Yea, people came to me for help, but guys also like-liked me because I was intelligent along with some other good characteristics and qualities. I happen to talk about school a lot when i'm on the phone too, and yea sometimes it can get annoying to the point where the person on the other end changes the subject. Yet, I think you should do you. The people who are passing you up are probably not the ones you need in your life. Just keep doing you and I'm sure the right girl will approach you soon 8-)

What Girls Said 9

• One can never be too smart. This is not a thing. I might get bored of you talking about finance all the time (I'm a CJ major - no numbers lol) but I think I could handle it.

• Lol, I don't talk about finance all the time, pure math is my thing (big improvement, lol ;)). And no, I don't talk about it all the time, I just get really passionate when I do! Also, my best friend is sort-of the same way, so we kind of feed each other (he is really suave with girls, I'm no, lol).

• Lol, its funny, two of the teachers in the physics department at my school are married, and they spend almost every second of their lives in their offices. I always wonder what they talk about over Thanksgiving dinner...

• Who knows! lol

• sounds like my kind of guy. Look, what a turn off is not necessarily being smart, but you're attitude. I know guys who are smart, but they think they're smarter then everyone else and they come of as asshats. There is nothing wrong with being super smart, it's just how you wear it.

• Well, I don't think I come off as an ***hole, at least in my opinion. I am always SUPER SUPER willing to help someone, and they always seem to enjoy my help. Honestly, I don't think people would keep asking me if I were that bad. People regard me as a "genius" though, and I'm really not, and I think people hear about this before they even get to know me, and then form an opinion. Outside of getting a little passionate about my grades (especially when people tease me over them), I don't think I'm that bad at all (actually, I know people who are not nearly as smart, but are so full of themselves I can't stand them...).

• yeah, some people might get turned off and it doesn't sound like you're one of those asshats. If anyone says it's a turn off, it's probably because of the asshats and not necessarily the intelligence.

• No Way! If a girls doesn't like you for your smarts or who you are, they're not worth your time. I mean 4.0 GPA? Maybe some girls like you and you just don't know it. I hope this helped!

• personally i love nerdy guys :) i don't mind always talking about work because i always end up doing the same

• No , intelligence is a turn on for me! There are some girls who may be intimidated by this, but as long as you don't act like a know-it-all who thinks he's smarter then everyone else, you're fine. I'm actually in the same boat as you, as a girl. Sometimes I think guys are intimated by my smart-ness.

• Haha, smartness is a HUGE HUGE turn on for me too! I really love spending time with girls who are smart (like my current crush ;)). Thanks for the comment.

• Being smart is wonderful just don't make her feel dumb.

• I never ever try to make people feel dumb. Sometimes they might feel a little stupid or silly if they are missing something obvious, or maybe I'm a little too passionate about something, but I'm not that type of guy to play people down. I want to help, not make people feel bad.

• No, it's not a turnoff for me! I had a similar situation in high school. 4.0 average and taking advance placement courses was seen as intimidating, thus I never got asked out in HS.

• Yes, I think that is what happens: people are a bit intimidated. But, once I get to know them, I feel like I get "friend-zoned" before I connect on an emotional level.

• I love intelligent guys

• I like intelligent guys, but for a deeper relationship, I want intelligent, humble guys. There's a huge difference.

Anyway, focus on her in your conversations. Shows interest.

What Guys Said 1

• Being smart isn't a turn off if you can still be relatable. If she constantly feels like you and her live in different worlds she's probably not going to stick around.

• :( I think that is my problem - everyone else has a glamorous social life, but I don't really have one to talk about. For example, I don't like watching the TV shows that most people watch (Breaking Bad, etc.), I enjoy watching classic TV (like from the 60s), and that prevents me from connecting I think. :(

• Nah you just haven't found the right people yet. If you start searching for similiarities rather than difference then you'll see there's plenty of people out thier. Half my friends like Dr. Who half don't. Some like ballroom dancing some don't. Some like discussing theories in biology others like discussing video game strategies. Be open to experience and really flesh out how you enjoy life and you'll be more relatable and attractive almost by default.