Height? Why the hell do us (women) always look in that for a guy?

Ok I'll admit that if a taller guy walks by I suddenly feel like falling in love with him but if their is a shorter (than me) guy and he's super cute then yea I still like them but it feels a little different. This is based on height completely and not including the factors of personality which is important also. So the question WHY DO WE HAVE INSTINCTS TO ALWAYS GO WITH HEIGHT? It's a bad habit and I'm trying to break it but I will date someone shorter or taller but I prefer if they are taller than me which I hate myself for but I do.

• Height means everything to me
  • It depends more on the person
  • I don't even know
  • I'm a guy

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm pretty sure I'm looking for shorter females because I assume that if they are taller then they would not be interested because females tend to look for taller guys in general because "they can't feel properly feminine because they can't wear their high heels and be shorter" or some stupid shit.

To be honest, I'm not sure why THEY'RE so obsessed with finding someone taller. My initial preference was someone who was exactly the same height as me, but some girls can be incredibly prickly about "but then I can't wear my high heels". Honestly, now that I think about it, that should just be a cue that someone should just be avoided rather than seen as a viable partner option.

Why? Because if you need to wear high heels and find SOMEONE ELSE who is TALLER than you to feel "complete" and "aligned with your femininity", then your lack of independence is nauseating. "Femininity" in itself is such a joke to begin with, don't people ever grow out of these petty gender concepts? It's appealing when you're like 7, even then it's because you don't know better.

I guess we are indoctrinated with an ideal, and people tend to not "unlearn" it. Cultural concepts are our enemy.

What Guys Said 10

• I think wowzer is on the right track. Maybe I'm thinking too much about Freud, but:

Growing up, your protector and provider is usually your dad. He was tall (compared to you, anyway), and strong (compared to you). As such, these traits are associated with someone being a good protector and provider, whether they mean anything or not.

For guys your height growing up, they're like friends/peers/siblings to you. Now, you still see childish features and shorter stature the same way- they don't fit the protector archetype.

I get some of the psychology rooted in this, but girls are WAY too obsessed with height.

• I liked how you said the comparison of the father. I have really never thought of that until now and now that I realized it you are right. And I completely agree that we are wayyy to obsessed

• A man just saying a word , hey , we judge by height a bit too.
    I'm 6ft , and if my girl is a 6ft 5 AMAZONIAN WARRIOR PRINCESS I would probably be intimidated a little and there goes my dream of having a girl ride on my back as I walk along the sandy shore lol

s7.postimg.org/.../xena_warrior_princess00131.jpg

• Because it makes them appear more fatherly and girls look for men like their father/ideal father. If girls don't get a handle on this irrational height lust, one day they'll get a rude awakening when they realise they've been dating idiots wearing elevator shoes. It won't be too disimilar to guys that go for bimbos with boob jobs only to realise they're not selecting a mate based on what's important.

• i want to be 5'2" and get teased by women about it, and look like a shrimp in front of them

• It's natural. All women want to feel protected. To protect someone, you need to be strong. Height emphasizes strength.

For example, imagine there are 2 guys. Guy 1 is 6 feet tall. Guy 2 is 5 feet 6 inches tall. Both have the same BMI. Both can do the same amount of push-ups but Guy 1 can bench-press more.

Taller guys are generally stronger and more confident which are both characteristics that women love.

• You clearly don't know anything about powerlifting. Bench pressing is all about leverage; short people dominate the sport for a reason--look up Ed Coan, Jesse Norris, Larry Pacifico, and Dan Green.

• I never talked about powerlifting...

• I believe it's part of a women's DNA.

• I'm getting height surgery so I could care less. I'm 5'6.5" right now, and I'm going to be 6'2 in flat shoes when all is said and done.

• I dont know why girls do it. Tall does not = strong, and in my experiences tall people are incredibly clumsy. lol

• Good question I've always wondered the same thing.

• Because

Long legs chicks = goddess

What Girls Said 5

• I'll date a shorter guy, but not one shorter than me. I think tallness is very attractive but not super important. If you are really asking why we like taller guys from an evolutionary standpoint, I think its because taller men are subconsciously seen as being genetically superior- if someone is starving they won't grow very much, so it could be an indicator of nutrition. And testosterone supports bone growth.

• I personally never liked tall men because it makes me feel worse about my own height and it's awkward and uncomfortable. Majority of my ex's including my husband were at least six feet however the relationships developed over time and I was not initially attracted to them as they were not my 'physical type'. It is a superficial detail that matters more to some. I think it could be about how you are conditioned. It's my personality to go against the grain, so that may explain why when everyone said "he is hott" I said he is not. Maybe because women hear it all the time. Then on top of it they say taller men are more successful. Perhaps we are hardwired to like taller men and that is why despite my apparent distaste for tall men I always found myself with them. Or just chance. Something that has always baffled me.

• I've never had that problem. I'm 5'1 and I've never met a guy shorter than me. Or even around my height. So honestly I wouldn't cate

• Hmm maybe it appeals to our primal instincts? Or social ideas about what male-female relationships should be? I don't know which; it could be a mix of the two. Either way the result is many girls feel attraction towards guys taller than them. And while personality is definitely important, so is attraction and chemistry. Can't really speak for everyone, but I think it makes us feel more feminine, attractive, small, protected, etc. That's just one way to go about that, though. A guy could achieve it through his confidence, leadership, looks, strength of mind/body/character, talents/success, or whatever else taps into that side of a girl. I'm dating a guy right now that's practically the same height as me, but I honestly wouldn't change him for anything. It's a part of who he is, and I just really like him and am attracted to him, regardless of height.

• First off thanks for being honest and coherent. And I agree with you that it makes us (me) feel smaller and way more feminine. And good for you I wish I could say that we were more regardless of height

• No problem. :) It's interesting to think about.

• I hate myself for admitting that height matters, but I can't help it. I just dated a guy (very briefly) who was 5'8". I'm 5'6", and while there were certainly other factors in play as well for my not finding him attractive, his height was certainly one of them. He was kinda short and kinda skinny, and while I'm not super tall, I am pretty curvy, and I just kept thinking (and this is gonna sound COMPLETELY STUPID) I'm too much woman for him... haha.
    But yeah, it matters to some, doesn't matter to others. I hate admitting it because I don't consider myself to be a shallow person, and when it comes to being friends with someone, it really, truly doesn't matter what the person looks like, but if I'm gonna have a romantic and sexual relationship with someone, I need to find them attractive.