Would you date a guy if his looks weren't that amazing but his personality was?

I mean I know I'm not no Brad Pitt looks wise but I've been told by a few girls that I'm sweet. But are looks super important? Could you look past someones looks if they had the personality you was looking for?

And yes I know there needs to be a attraction physically. But if you had an attractive guy/girl with no personality then a guy/girl with a good personality but not amazing looks who would you choose?

Davey

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh noooo, again with the personality crap? You people talk like there's one archetypal "good personality". No, there's not. Good personalities come in all forms possible, it's all down to personal preference. You'd think a kind, chivalrous, agreeable man has a "good" personality, right? Of course. But some women may not find him appealing as a partner. I know I don't. To me, good personality in a partner is about assertiveness, being down-to-earth and treating me like an equal. Some girls may find such guys cold and unemotional, but I'd feel trapped with such a man as my partner. I know you're gonna accuse me of "only going for jerks", but it's way more complex than that. There's no jerk/good guy divide in the real world, it's all a mixed bag.

Asker, if you're of the meek and kind variety, please take no offense. As I've said, many girls prefer this sort of person. I'm sure you're an amazing man to have around, but you're not quite what I myself am looking for (disregard for a second the fact that I'm merely 17, I'm talking possibilities here) in a romantic partner. You WILL find a girl who's crazy for you and your qualities, men who are actually pleasant and kind are few and far between these days.

• Well put, Slavana, but in all fairness he didn't bring up the jerk/nice guy debate. In fact, he specifically stated, "if they had the personality you was looking for?" However, given how prevalent the nice guy/jerk debate seems to pop up, it's understandable how one could be wary that this is where his question was going.

"men who are actually pleasant and kind are few and far between these days. "
      You might be inspiring my next question. If what you just said is true, why is it I have no problem meeting so many of them?

What Girls Said 17

• I think so lol
    I've had huge crushed on 'weird looking' guys. Guys who kind of have a chin that disappears into their neck (you know what I'm talking about?) Guys with gaps between all of their teeth, guys with such bad posture they nearly have a hunch. And I've gotten to know some guys who I thought were positively GORGEOUS and I wound up not liking them at all/hating them because their personality su

• Glad to see another girl who goes for personality. A ver rare type nowadays

• cked so bad lol
      But I usually get to know guys first while hanging out in a group of mutual friends. I've had good looking guys (strangers) come up to me and hit on me/try to hang out and I just get so uncomfortable. I really like to be friends first to see if I like you enough to bother persuing a romantic relationship

• Thats the best way to be. Getting to know someone first is the best idea. I've made that mistake a few times. And I bet those good looking guys kick them selves lol

• Looks can be important at the beginning. Then I need more than that to keep interested. I search for good personality. That is golden. A very good looking with a trashy personality is not interesting to me. I lose my interest in that case quickly.
    Just be who you are. Right person accept and like you as you are.

• I'm a personality guy. Looks fade with age. But personality doesn't

• Exactly. Every beauty has an end point, but beauty of heart is ageless. Good for you.

• actually... i don't really care about him pretty. the most attractive thing is his brain. if he actually is able to have a deep conversation with me then i wouldn't mind dating him.
    but if he was sweet then... who would say no to a beautiful personality? nice guys are really great even if they weren't so smart

• Number two.

My ex was like that and we had a great relationship. Eventually I started seeing him as hot.

• Not personally. Call me shallow but I have to be attracted to the guy physically to date him

Why not date a girl of similar attractiveness to yourself who also has an amazing personality? Why do below average looking guys think they're entitled to date pretty girls, and why is it that if a guy rejects a girl based on her looks he's being choosy but if a girl does it she's shallow?

Don't be a hypocrite... if looks shouldn't matter than date girls that are below average looking... simple!

• I'm not expecting a super hot girl. Your not being shallow we all have our own types.

• Wouldn't it be wiser to advise someone to increase their attractiveness than to simply advise them to date someone they are not attracted to? As I said, unattractive people don't find other unattractive people any more attractive than beautiful people do.

For the record, I don't think you're shallow. Neither are unattractive people for desiring attractive people.

"Why do below average looking guys think they're entitled to date pretty girls, and why is it that if a guy rejects a girl based on her looks he's being choosy but if a girl does it she's shallow?"

I'm sorry, but I've encountered PLENTY of women who feel entitled to things in men, appearance among them. I've also heard PLENTY of men being accused of being shallow and PLENTY of women who are thought of as being choosy.

• "Don't be a hypocrite... if looks shouldn't matter than date girls that are below average looking... simple! "

He's not a hypocrite as he never said "looks shouldn't matter," now did he? And if you think the plight of the unattractive is "simple" or easily solved, that's foolish. I suspect that will change if you give birth to a child with a disability who is disfigured.

• No looks are not too important to me. When I first met my fiance he was in shape (military) and that was about it. I fell in love with his awesome witty personality. I would choose the personality any day over amazing looks... We all get old one day and loose our looks, but the personality stays...=)

• I'd rather personality no looks.
    preferred quality of a guy... just on a personal level
    Looks: clean and neat.
    Personality: sense of humour, positivity, confidence.
    More important, frequency. Nothing brings to people closer than great frequency.
    and i believe many girls would agree

• Thanks for that. Glad to see there are girls out there that go for personality.

• good looking or not, never an issue. artificial or real, doesn't matter. If you provide me a good laugh, you're good ^^ well, don't worry about looks. Just be yourself, so you don't attract the wrong lady. The right one will come :) Good luck!

• Thank you again. I have a dry/sarcastic sense of humour so love a laugh. And I know the right one is out there

• I'd definitely choose personality over looks. Looks are temporary.

• I don't put one above the other, but I prefer that he's half and half. He should possess both qualities, just keepin it real

• I would and I did. I can easily go past looks.

• Of course. Yes, there's physical attraction but that's only a plus. I'd chose personality over looks any day. :)

• i need to be attracted to him physically tbh
    but i still want to befriend him

• Yes of course. If he has a great personality but not good looks then it'll be way better than a guy having great looks but not great personality.

• Definitely. A good personality makes a person a lot more attractive!

• personality makes someone very attractive... so yes

• Someone with a good personality who I have no attraction to is a friend.

• That's not to say that looks are more important than personality. If a guy has a really awesome personality and I feel a connection then sometimes I find him attractive even if I didn't before.
      But a lot of guys think that being sweet is the only quality they need to have to get a girl to want them. There's more to it

• There are lots of girls out there who definitely go for guys with a better personality than looks.. don't bring yourself down if you don't think you're very attractive. If you're the kind of guy who respects girls and enjoys helping them with the little things and getting a little flirt on without them feeling uncomfortable.. then by all means.. Just be yourself. Lol
    Just the right girl will come along..

• I do respect girls. And I do enjoy helping them. I can be super soppy been told I'm to sweet. I'm always my self. Thanks for amazing comment. I sense a super sweet one here hehe

• I am super shy in person. Takes me a while to come out of my shell. But if I like a girl then I do try some moves. I'm a hugger love hugs/cuddles/snuggles. Your describing my dream life lol

• Hahha, then take your dream and make it real..

What Guys Said 1

• This question reminds me of the movie "Shallow Hal" I love that movie. But from my perspective I believe every girl has something attractive about her physically. I'd definitely look past her looks, like denisenic01e said looks are temporary.