Would a person with religious beliefs date an atheist?

Religious beliefs are apart of people's moral code. I live in basically the bible belt and I've always been strongly an atheist. I think there is a beauty to religious faith and feel open minded to having a religious partner.

However I've never had a date or relationship. I'm a strongly opinionated person and sarcastic on top of not being religious. I think it's more of just a regional thing, but I can't tell if it's something more than my strong religious convictions.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a devoted Christian that wouldn't have a problem dating an Atheist, I am actually good friends with someone who is an Atheist. For one, I believe whenever its our time for judgement, God doesn't judge anyone as a couple, family, or group, He judges us individually and its based off of our actions on earth and not who we know or dated or our SO. For that reason I feel no problem with dating, being in a relationship, or possible marrying someone of a different or no faith since I feel God isn't gonna hold me being involved with an Atheist against me so long as I keep my faith and continue behaving right. And if that person was interested in joining my faith I'd welcome them with open arms, but would never at any point of the relationship try and convert them or some how punish them for not having faith of any kind. We all have our on lives and a right to live them anyway we chose, so long as we're happy together that's what matters. The stuff about souls, heaven, and hell and yadyadayada is not my job to worry about, that's were I believe He steps in.

• First off, me gusta your answer.

But do most Christians feel that way or is it just an assumption/stereotype I'm making?

• I would always assume its a stereotype since no one can ever ask EVERY single Christian their opinion on the matter, and because I'm a Christian who would have no problem dating an Atheist. But I hope that when you meet a good guy or have met one that if he is a Christian or has any other religious background that he doesn't judge you for not having any religious belief yourself. We all have our beliefs in the way this world works and was conceived but that shouldn't matter when picking a partner, its how they make you feel that's important to me.

What Guys Said 6

• Religious beliefs and morality are not connected. There are moral atheists and immoral Christians. The three most charitable individuals in the US are atheists - Warren Buffett has donated almost 41 BILLION dollars to health, education and humanitarian causes. Bill and Melinda Gates are over 27 billion, and George Soros is almost at 7 billion. Those numbers quite literally are the most charity in the history of the world. Religious beliefs simply frame how you view the creation of the world, and what will happen when you die. It doesn't change how you actually act.

I know a lot of cases with my friends where there was a mixing of a religious partner with a non-religious partner. Myself being one of them. It seems far more important that the partners have a similar moral code than it is that they follow the same religion, that seems to have a much higher incidence of long-term happiness and compatibility.

Some people are so shaky in their beliefs, regardless of what they are, that they simply cannot stand up to any scrutiny. Those people would not be able to handle a partner with a different belief, as it would really put their faith at risk. The more confidence a person has in their faith and their place in the world, the easier it gets for them to have the conversations that can arise when faiths are mixed. After all, the central point of a relationship is love, tolerance, and understanding, and those three virtues are praised by pretty much every religion anyways.

• yeah. but your best bet is Catholics. I'm an atheist and the only religious girls I've been with have been Catholics. I suppose I can not attest to religious men, though..

Oddly, dating sites aren't such a bad idea in this case. You can filter by religious preference for most of them, I think, and expand your search range beyond where you can 'drive to'.

• They would but it all depends on how open they are. I am not an atheist but I'm definitely not religious and actually quite open about it, and my wife is a Catholic, her whole family is... and here we are :)

• As a Christian, I would be open to it, but problems would most likely surface eventually. They're two completely different mindsets.

• I wouldn't, no.

• No I would say absolutely not.

What Girls Said 1

• I am Muslim and I dated with an atheist. I broke up with him, not because of religious reasons actually. He was very arrogant towards any religion. He was very disrespectful. I couldn't stand his behaviors anymore.