My boyfriend pays child support to his ex girlfriend... Will our future be okay?

They do not contact one another whatsoever. Please don't say anything about him walking out on his child, it was also the mother's decision that he shouldn't be in her life.

We are college students, he lives with roommates and is working two part time jobs and goes to school full time.

He has always been struggling with money, and I just helped him get that second job (engineering).

Whenever we go eat I'm usually the one who pays... He usually only pays once when he gets paid but I pay for the other 6 days. (I'm only working part time job and going to school full time). But I get grants from school and I have more $ than him.

I feel like child support is draining his bank account and he doesn't have anything else to save after rent and food.

I love him, he wants to marry me after college. But I just can't imagine how him paying child support is going to affect OUR future...

I'm not shallow or anything... But I want to have a successful marriage FINANCIALLY so our kids can have a stable future. But I'm afraid all his money is gonna be sucked away from his ex gf until the baby turns 18.

Thats 18 years away... We will be in our 40's until that burden is lifted.

WIll this effect him financially and prevent him from building up a good savings?

Thanks... I love him... But I'm afraid my perspective on this will ruin our future.

Well for now it's 70/month because he only had one job... but he has another 15/hr job now and Im sure they're gonna try to raise it

Most Helpful Guy

• If they can raise it any time he starts making more money, then you're screwed if you stay with him.

He'd probably be better off without the second job if they're just going to raise his child-support. He could be doing other things with that time, like interning, or cleaning your apartment / doing things to make your life more successful / give you more free-time / accelerate your income. And if he ever loses that job, he's going to have a higher child-support bill - and have to wait for the courts to move his child-support lower (if they do). Income he's making now should be being saved to handle that up-coming expense - and I bet that it is not.

If he defaults, and you're married to him - they're going to take the assets away from your children.

They'll take all the money they can manage to justify, and he'll never have disposable income to save or invest.

What Guys Said 4

• You can admire him for being responsible and not walking away. He will have that commitment for many years to come, and you need to find a place within yourself to live with that. When you finish school and get good jobs, it will be less of a burden.

• better that he is an honest person who pays it than some one who skips out on it

• As long as she continues to make him pay child support, he will continually lose all of that money to her. Once she says stop, he can start paying for him and you more. Question is, will she ever do that. But legally, if she wants him to pay, he has to. That's the only thing he HAS to do for her, i. e. no emotional commitment, legally etc..

• How do you expect us to answer that without knowing his financial details? Without knowing how much he pays per month versus his income per month and without knowing his expected earnings after he finishes school we really can't give you a great answer.

What Girls Said 2

• Money is usually a problem in relationships and marriages. But you guys are young. Once he's out of college and has a real job, you'll be fine. I'm glad you help him out

• Once you're out of college and getting good paying jobs, I doubt you'll notice it.