Do you congratulate people for getting into a new relationship?

If you do... why?

My relationship status on Facebook just changed, and a bunch of my friends congratulated me on it. I feel super awkward now, haha. So I'm just wondering why you'd say congratulations for something like that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some because they are happy for you. Some to prove they are not jealous when they are. Some thinks its a social duty lol I don't anyway

What Guys Said 3

• those are people who wished they were in your shoes. or men who tried to tackle you but end up failing. it's some psychological defense. people will tend to "feel happy for another" but that is bullshit. if you don't believe me, if there are guys who congratulated you, they will typically be the ones who strike up small conversations with you on Facebook chat.

• I just congratulate them when someone gets married... But just bf/gf? Nah not at all.. I dont really care

• Honestly and this is gonna make me sound rude but no. I've always been single so why should I give someone I hardly no a congratulations when I can't get a Girlfriend? If I can't be happy why should I be happy for others I don't know? Same goes with family.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't haha! Maybe they're just happy for you:)

• I don't :) maybe your friends are not happy for certain reasons with previous relationship you had and now you've changed relt'p status, they are more than glad so they congratulate you :)

• they are happy for you and hoping that your new relationship will work out

• I wonder what they say when you change your status back to single lol... they may mean well, but to me it always seem to imply "finaaaalllyyy"

No, I only congratulate when they say they're married/engaged.

• Yeah, their intentions are probably nice, but the implication is just like you said, haha. It's almost a little insulting, lol.