Boyfriend needs money, should I give it to him?

Okay, we haven't been dating long enough. Its only been 2 weeks. I feel bad when I don't let him borrow some. We both are in or freshmen year of college and he needs it to pay his phone bill. I have the money, but I don't trust him enough to be sure he'll pay me back. I don't know if I should let him borrow it. I don't but I then feel bad that I'm not letting him borrow. Is it bad that I don't trust him enough to be sure he'll pay me back?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't advise lending money to people you hardly know.

Two weeks is nothing, people break up in that time. Doesn't he have his own friends to ask?

Sounds shady that he would rely on someone he pretty much just met.

What Guys Said 12

• Ugh. Its way to early in the relationshiop to be asking for money especially something simple as a phone bill. Which should be a high priority to pay. If it was some unforeseen event (like car breaking down unexpectedly or need money cause this broke etc. ) then maybe.

• trust comes with time and experience, in this case just 2 week old relationship is not enough time.

• don't let him borrow it. a guy shouldn't depend on his GF, especially a new one at that, to support him. let him deal with it and only then he will find a way to fix his own problems. srsly when it involves money, its better to say no.

• 2 weeks? No way. He needs to learn some personal responsibility - if he can't even pay his phone bill then he has made some terrible choices regarding budgeting and/or planning. A phone is a pretty important element in most college students lives, so an inability to plan for that shows some serious problems.

It takes a pretty shady personality to even ask someone such a thing in such a short period of time. That has snake-oil salesman written all over it. Not only would I not lend the guy the money, I would seriously consider not dating the guy at all.

• 2 weeks? I probably wouldn't. hopefully he's not asking already. it just sort of sets a bad precedent and puts you in a position where you may sort of become his go to patron when he's short on money.

have you guys been friends before dating?
    how serious are you two?

• we weren't friends before and I don't think were that serious yet. After all we just started dating to really find out

• then yeah I would be very very reluctant to start giving him money

• Don't let him borrow the money.

First of all, he shouldn't even feel comfortable "accepting" money from you on the basis of borrowed funds to pay his expenses. If he can't pay his phone bill, then the solution is to call up his company, work out a payment plan, and cancel his service when he can. Definitely do not feel guilty about not letting him borrow.

• Only lend out money (to anyone) you can afford to lose.

• Absolutely not. It's bad form and you'll wonder if he is in to you just for the money.

• Don't let him "borrow" money. He can clean cars, mow lawns, clear gutters, and do other non-employment work to pay his bills. Don't be anyone's sugar mama.

• You have only been dating for two weeks. No.

• All I read was 2 weeks. Nope. Not a damn penny.

• Big fat NO in font size 48.

• if you dont trust him then give him a while untill you do

What Girls Said 2

• No, you shouldn't. He should be able to pay his own damn phone bill. You're not his mom. You're not obligated to pay for his things. If you were married, things would obviously be different. But you've only been dating for 2 weeks, so the fact that he even asks you if you could pay is a huge red flag to me.

• if thin it is too, plus he told me he lost it because he was out drinking.

• He lost what? The money? That's his own problem haha.

• The real question is why is he even dating in the first place when he can't even pay his own phone bills.