Is it acceptable to date/have sex with your cousin?

Throughout history, different cultures have had markedly different views on romantic relationships with cousins, marriage in particular.

In many Middle Eastern countries for example, such relationships are perfectly acceptable and often encouraged, with cousin marriages actually comprising the majority of marriages in some countries. Even in Western culture, only very recently has the practice been stigmatized only since the late 19th century with prominent individuals such as FDR, Einstein, and Charles Darwin marrying their first cousins.

What are your thoughts?

• Yes.
  • Only distant (2nd, 3rd etc.)
  • Never.

Most Helpful Guy

• I look at it like this. How much turmoil would it cause your family? That to me is more important than pursuing the relationship

What Girls Said 4

• Vote C, she is afterall your relative be it distant or not. it can make things complicated since there iss still blood related somehow..

• Genetic diversity is better. A lot of nobles produced sickly babies as a result of marrying their first cousins again and again and again.

• I voted C because she's your relative after all

• My familyhas cousin relation in it but it was purely by chance. They turned up to the same family reunion. They continued dating and had a son. They are no longer together.

What Guys Said 1

• It is kind of funny when you think of this question.

Nowadays, when the vast majority of sexual relationships don't end in children, and relatively few people have moral reservations about having sex outside of marriage, the incest taboo still survives among these people even on the cousin level.