Paying $1500 to fly to see my online lover? Anyone ever have an online & long distance romance?

He lives in Europe I am in California, we Skype almost every day... I am trying to save for college, and money is tight... but I haven't had a vacation since was a child... and I want to travel the world, to find myself and have fun.. I would visit him but also make a vacation out of it and visit other places too... have any of you done something like this? Please share your stories... I really like this guy and I feel I can trust him... I am very adventurous and willing to take a risk, the money is the biggest draw back... I would hate for it to be a boring time or I get sick, or something bad happens... My plan is to earn the money from selling off most my useless possessions around my room, I am using seeing him and traveling as motivation. It is exciting and feels so CRAZY. lol I have never had an online romance! or long distance... I haven't dated since my boyfriend in highschool and I'm 22 now... I have a feeling me and him may just have sexual chemistry and it may not be more than that (when we meet in real life)... but I'm ok with that, but he is actually the one hinting about wanting more, marriage, etc... I still want to get to know him better before I truly decide if I'm going to fly to visit him...

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's a great idea. You can actually say you did this to other people and x y z happened and it was so fun or I did this and I didn't like it. Either way it's better time than sitting online.

• True, gotta take chances and be adventurous (and safe of course). Thanks for your advice!

What Guys Said 1

• I'm sorry but this just doesn't sound like a good idea AT ALL. You really need to take a few steps back, has a deep breath and count to 10. You're running on blind love right now.

• well it will take months to sell all my stuff, I have been putting it off because it's boring but now I feel I have something I'm passionate about to motivate me to get it done... I keep telling myself to not take it too serious... he could just cut off contact any second and I have to be ok with that. Also he could be not exactly the same in person so I am prepared for that too. We webcam chat btw, and he added me on FB and looks like its a legit profiles, with friends with legit profile as well...

What Girls Said 2

• I was suppose to go to Serbia this month, but I met him in person and spent two weeks with him while he was here. I decided not to go. I'll go, later when I have more money.

• Skype calls or Skype with webcam? I had a bad experience, he wasn't what he said he was. he lied to me and it ended pretty badly. do you chat with him through a video cam? If you do, you're in luck! He's not a catfish if you use a webcam. Take your chance if you use a webcam but approach with caution if not. bring a friend with you and put the police's number on speed dial, then visit him.

• That is really awful, I'm sorry that happened to you:/
      yes yes video! we have long video conversations, sometimes lasting for most the day. he gave me a house tour and shows me him cooking food in his kitchen. lol... looks like a nice home.. I have seen his whole body in good lighting, so I have a good idea what he looks like. I agree I really wish I had a friend to join me I would feel a lot safer, but there is just nobody I can think of that would come with me. I am still going to get to know him better and look out for warning signs if there are any... he also added me on FB and it looks like a legit profile, lots of friends who have legit profiles... saw his mom's profile, with family pictures with him, etc..

• Just be extra careful. Bring pepper spray or a taser with you. Learn a few ways to safely immobilize him like kneeing him where the sun don't shine, punching his nose etc. You can never be too careful. And put the police's number on speed dial! Be safe and let your parents know or at least your friends. Call them once you've arrived, call them a lot to tell them your still safe. BE SAFE! Always have a friend in the room. DO NOT TRUST HIM FULLY UNTIL YOU KNOW HE'S HARMLESS. don't lock the door when he's in the guest room with you. AGAIN BE SAFE! Bye hun! Never be alone with him in an empty room, don't accept drinks and don't get drunk! If he forces himself on you kick his a$$!