Shall I ask my GF if I can have a drink with this other girl?

So at work a girl has approached me a couple of times. And now she asked me if I wanted to go for a drink with her 'just as friends'.

Shall I ask my long term gf for permission?

This girl I am talking about isn't a co-worker, she is a 'stranger'.
My relationship ended because my ex at the time asked me this (a 'guy stranger' asked her out for drinks then she asked me).
She and her friends said i didn't trust her enough. I think thats unfair.

Most Helpful Girl

• The obvious answer is don't go out with this girl. She is obviously interested in you as more than a friend.

• Really, that's what I think too? But if so why didn't any other posters say this?

• I mean it is asif they can't 'see' that. Or they already assume that or something. I think it's strange.

• Yeah, I thought the same thing. I looked at what everyone else wrote and I was like WTF? No girl asks a guy out for drinks as "just friends".

What Girls Said 8

• You definitely need to ask, don't just go, that'd be a bad move. Why not take your girlfriend too? And get your friend from work to bring their partner? Whatever you do, don't just go cos she will find out and then you'll look bad. You don't need to ask her permission because she doesn't own you but you should at least tell her and see what she thinks about it. Listen to her issues about it as well if she has any, you may think it's just jealousy or paranoia but it could be more. All up to, but let your girlfriend know what you decide to do.

• No - don't ever ask your girlfriend if you can go out with another woman. It doesn't matter if she's an old friend, co - worker, or friend. Asking makes you look guilty even if nothings going on. Mr nice guy would most likely make this mistake.

Yes you should go out for drinks with this girl. Before doing so you should tell her you have a girlfriend and your not interested in dating but friends are welcome. She already stated just friends yes but both of you need to be on the same level. This girl is looking to finally have a guy as a friend. Which is very difficult because usually guys want to be more then friends. I personally would love a guy friend. Or she's trying to steal you off your girl because she likes you that much. Or want friends with benefits.
    Don't judge her by her cover. Your not doing anything wrong by going out. If you continue to go out with her after she made her intentions bad only then are you asking for trouble and clearly cheating. The timing is everything. What time and day matters. Make it professional even if it's a new friend. You don't want to give off any romantic vibe not even if your trying to be a cool friend. Never choose an outing with her on your girlfriends time. Or leave her home alone during this time. Key- when asked how was your day or if you start telling her about your day. Include it not at the beginning or end but in order of your day. Say it like it's nothing. Well I can't type everything lol - but your going to need some game or a girl that's a friend :)

• id definitely bring it up to her. I wouldn't so much ask as tell her what she said and gauge her response... if she is confident in your relationship then she should have no issue with the matter and the fact that you aren't hiding it shows trustworthiness she will appreciate

• "if she is confident in your relationship then she should have no issue with the matter"

Really cause I think drinking with a girl that hit on a guy in public is a sign he may not be that interested in his girl. I mean that would undermine my confidence in my partners intentions.

• Understandable. but its all about the person, she could be fine with it, like I would be. but I get where you are coming from (I, myself am a natural flirt and dont notice I am doing most times. doesn't mean there is any intention behind it)

• This girl is interested in you more than a friend for sure. If you're serious bout your relationship with ur gf, you should tell her.

• You seriously want to drink with a female? You're in a relationship. there's no 'having a drink with another girl' cause girls are bitches and she probably just wants to boost her ego and ruin your relationship. Even thinking about it is wrong. Don't ask and don't go.

• Good comment. But why do you say girls are bitches?

• Because they are. I'm a girl. Girls know females better then men do. a lot of whores and homewreckers out there.

• well if its just you two then no because you'll miss behave :p if i were you i would come along but bring other people with you to make it clear its just frieds going out for a drink.

• Nope. Not if you wanna keep your gf. I wouldn't put up with it.

• Ask your gf first. Ask her in public, just in case she won't hit/kill you.

What Guys Said 5

• Man, sorry to tell you but that's like the worst possible idea. You know where a drink will lead (flirting, and flirting to something else), why on earth would you tell your gf and even ask permission?

I'd say you need to rather decide if you keep your actual gf or not because it's more likely she'll decide for you if you keep it like this.

• A stranger asks you to go out for drinks? Gee what are her intentions? You really think that's a good idea? Maybe you aren't that interested in your girl friend if you do.

• Well this question was more to see what kind of reactions I'd get from people.

I think it's very odd that a lot of people think 'its normal'. Whilst others (like you and some others) see the situation for what it most likely is. A date.

Don't you think that' it's strange?

• I guess they think she has no intentions maybe? That's poooosible but verrrrry unlikely. Maybe they are poor at picking up social innuendos or are living in a politically correct land with no assumptions allowed?

• Haha yea, that is what I think too. Or we must be missing something? :p

• YOU NEED TO ASK there is no harm in having a drink with a co worker but if she finds out it looks very suspicious. not asking her is an easy way to mess up your relationship. there is no harm in asking

• The girl isn't a co worker, she's a 'stranger' .

• Its harmless, just go you don't need to ask.

• Dont ask, tell her that you're gonna hang out with a friend, so she doesn't think you're cheating on her