Do you think relationships in high school are pointless?

what do you make of the 12-15 year old kids dating in high school. Do you think its pointless or do you think some of them could last. do you think its best to wait till college where everyone is mature?

Most Helpful Guy

• I personally feel that they should be focusing on their school work. Parents need to quit letting their kids date and fuck around. Even most 18 year olds need to be kept on lock-down because they think being 18 makes them an adult and that they should be having lots of sex.

• yes, i feel the same way. Like why jeopardise your future for a relationship that won't last more than a week. All girls and boys think about is jumping at any opportunity to kiss, lose their virginity etc.

• Seriously, I've known of girls calling guys over to fuck them the day they turn 18, and their parents are just like, "Oh well." and let that shit happen. I assure you if I ever have a daughter she's not inviting some guy friend over on her 18th birthday just to get fucked. These parents who throw condoms and birth control at their teenage kids need the Hell beat out of them.

• Thanks for MHO. :)

What Guys Said 5

• Some may , most don't.
    Think of it as a trial version of grown-up relationships with responsibility lite.

• Yes it's quite pointless the first kiss.. curiousity about sex etc. A majority of boys at that age and h. s as a whole have certain things in mind like SEX, B. J, BOOBS, VAGINAS, PENIS SIZE.. well combine that with a high testosterone and sex drive.

By the time you leave h. s so will a lot of relationships expire.

• I dont think its pointless. Its part of growing and maturing. I DO think that they should put more focus on other things. Also they should know that those relationships are prrobably just one of a few of many more they will have in their adult life.

• pointless...

• depends on the person, usually girls want to pursue some stupid dream and it doesn't involve the guy because the guy would be in her way cause guys are never wanted or important to girls, whereas guys dont usually act like that

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think it's pointless, even if they are unlikely to last. Think about it- when you first start dating, you don't know a thing about romantic relationships or choosing a partner for yourself. What you might THINK you want sometimes turns out not to be what you want at all. And in order to have a successful, lasting relationship, you have to develop skills for communication, coping, dealing, compromising, and understanding.
    What better way to learn all of that than to date as a teenager? No matter when you date, it's unlikely you're going to find the right person first off, so better to learn early in life when you have the advantage of forgiving your mistakes because you're young and the support of your parents and family behind you. It's also a good time to learn because neither of you is necessarily focused on getting too serious- you're able to learn and make mistakes without getting so deep or complicated (like living together).

I didn't date a LOT in high school, but I dated a few guys and while none of them were the right guy for me, I learned a lot about myself, what I want and don't want in a relationship, and how to read guys a bit better. College was sort of like graduating to a new level of dating- where relationships tended to be a bit more serious.

I do know a few people I went to high school with who actually got married and are still together. It kind of freaks me out a bit, makes me feel old. But I guess if the only reason you ever date is to find a husband/wife, then perhaps dating is pointless in high school. Though I can't say all the people I met in college were more mature than they were in high school lol.

• As a 12-15 year old, I was hopeless at dating. Basically, all the good looking cute guys never took a single glance at me and it left me feeling really sad and with low-self esteem for most of high school. At college things definitely took a better turn for me and guys started to notice me and now I'm dating somebody. College dating is probably a lot better as well as you are semi-independent (don't have to rely on parents to give you a lift to a date!), you can drive and travel places with your other half if you want and cook dinner together and stuff you wouldn't be able to do as a kid. Dating in college is a lot more like what dating really is like. Plus guys mature a lot later, so college dating is preferable if you want a higher chance of finding a guy who won't mess you about. Hope this helps!

• yeah right now i feel the same way, lots of the boys dont find me attractive because i would much rather study than do underage drinking, and it gets me a little low and I'm just really hoping that at college the boys are mature and actually like girls for being smart funny etc, not just for a pair of boobs and an ass.

• Yep. A lot of girls get so hurt about it too. What's the point of crying... Everyone is too young.

• Well tbh I am 15 and although it may not also amount to much of a relationship, my grandparents started dating at my age and went on to get married, they where high school sweethearts and although they may have been lucky it could happen to other teenagers, although it may progress to be a distraction so personally I and many of my friends are all going to take a break from guys for out final high school year and exams x

• yeah my parents meet at 15 and they have been together ever since and they are now in their 30s but i guess the reason why could be that kids were a lot more mature and responsible back then? :)

• Not at all. I think high school is a pretty good time to figure out what kinds of relationships work well for you, what kinds of guys make you happy and what kinds of guys you need to avoid. You learn lessons while you still have your parents taking care of you (so you have some extra level of support at home), and you have the chance to grow up a little in terms of dating.

Of course, it doesn't always work out that well for people, but the potential is definitely there. And the thing about college is... more people are more mature, that's true. But a lot of people are just as immature as they were in high school.

• I just feel the need to clarify that I'm not saying anyone *should* date in high school. We're all different, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with waiting either. :)