Do you ever get over your first love?

I think I am over him but as soon as I hear from him, I feel like I'm just not over it. But I have a new bf and it's been 2 years since my first love and I parted ways. Why is it that I seem to still have feelings for him and why do I keep comparing subsequent relationships to him. :(

Most Helpful Girl

• I had my First Love when I was 13-16, he was my age too. We had a beautiful thing going, learning and experimenting, along with 'Experiencing,' making it more magical than anything else I had ever gone through while-------Trying to get over him when we did finally split. It was hard as hell, painful as well, like a knife in my heart, and Every schmo from Here to Idaho I would go out with, I would Constantly Compare them to him. No one would Do, no one was good enough, and I just couldn't seem to shake him, shake the feeling, and my Chapter to this fairytale ending had no Closure in sight...
    Six years later, living on my own, we met up (We had a few other times to talk, nothing else... He had another), but This Particular nite, I don't know if it was That I looked sexier to him, that I had Now my own pad, but the next thing I know, after we returned from the Best Western And a few drinks under our belts, we ended up reminiscing again, and it was Then that my 'Closure' Came, along with the realization that I didn't feel anything, not even for sex, but knew right Then------I was Totally Over him. I could finally move on, and I think too, that being He was marrying the other half of what I could never be with him, that he could now----Move on himself, walking down the aisle and into a new life with his new wife.
    What you have is most likely a Rebound Robert, sweetie, for you are 'Comparing' him like I always did to Dan, my only man. You are Not over your 'Ex,' and haven't found closure, and if the Ex that is Marking your heart Still with his own X In your heart, having no intentions of going back with you except maybe for friends with benefits, then Stop accepting his contacts. You can't move on with another if you have this Other from the past, putting a wedge in your life.
    The next time he tries to give you a shout, tell him to either" Poop or get off the pot. You still love him and either you both get back together or-----lOSE MY NUMBER.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 8

• I do the same thing. Sorry, I really tried to find the answer to this myself. Just nothing compares... It sucks, really. I Just try to get lost in the moment and maybe forget.

• I never really did tbh but when it broke off I never really got any closure either so I don't know

• get over, yes. it took a precious year but nothing more. forget about it? never. i too still feel something for her, but its not enough that will convince me to try again.

• I sure did.
    I probably wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. Same goes for the ex-wife.

• You don't forget but you get over it.

• No. I don't think you ever really do.

• Well, she's fat now so that helps. But it's nice to have a reference point to compare new girls to.

• I have but it took many years. I still think of her from time to time. I used to compare all other women to her but now I just chase crazy women that are similar to my late crazy mother.

What Girls Said 2

• I did. .. and u will too it just takes time

• I'm going though my first real crush right now. It's so confusing.