Why does it seem like women tend to "overrate" their own attractiveness while men "underrate" their own?

+I am not saying every man or woman follows these behavior patterns but this seems to be the general case.
+Women tend say they can't find an attractive "enough" guy while men tend to just say they can't find a girl at all.

*As an example a woman on a dating site who is clearly overweight will describe herself as slender on 'body type' when clearly thats not the case.

Most Helpful Girl

• Women usually overrate themselves because they're all gassed up from untruthful friends, and guys trying to have sex with them.

Men on the other hand also overrate themselves i. e penis size, height, physical.

• Actually I am straight up, I'll tell a person my stats, I ain't packing, LOL!

What Girls Said 9

• Honestly I tend to think the opposite haha.
    etlock.com/.../...s-What-Men-See-In-The-Mirror.jpg

• Yes I got that from the nature of your question. I was saying I think the opposite. HOWEVER @Kheserthorpe brought up an interesting point in what people SAY and how they feel down below on another opinion.

• Took the post right out of my mind.

• Wow I've never seen that.
    I think that it appears girls are pickier because guys approach girls- girls end up being asked out by several guys over a year, and she might say that she wasn't attracted to any of them or didn't like any of them. She's not being "too picky" its just out of the small pool of guys who asked her out, she didn't like any of them.
    Guys only ask out girls they like, eliminating the "picky" factor because the only girls they ask out are ones they're attracted to. So they might complain that none of the girls that they asked out liked them, so appearance and such won't come up.

• Guys interact with women on the basis of his attraction towards her (unless it's platonic.) So all the girls in his company are attractive to him.

Girls interact with guys based on HIS attraction towards her... attraction isn't mutual most of the time

• You're making some pretty deep assumptions. No I do not make decisions about whether a woman is right for me or not based on those things you said. That's not true of me at all. However I do prefer to be with someone who makes "smart" decisions.

Hmm... Alcohol, : (
      You're 18, I'll PM you but I won't respond if you try something "shady".

• You've been judgmental this whole conversation, and even when I told you what I value you basically told me I don't have those values.

"Hmm alcohol :(" yeah, and I said I'm done with it? And "try something shady"? Lol what kind of person do you think I am.

• Do they? I swear I see the opposite. Bleh men thinking their god's gift to women and gorgeous women who are so scared about not being seen as decent-looking.

• I generally say that I know I'm not ugly but I don't feel attractive either but I'm working on it.
    Maybe it's the girls you surround yourself around?

• Girl, hush. You are too freakin beautiful 😘

• Apparently on a scale of 1-10, on average, we rate ourselves 2 points higher than what we actually are. I don't remember the source of these particular stats, or the study, I just remember I was rather depressed about the whole thing when I read it lol.
    I would question the validity of these results, but somehow it seems true...

• Yeah not all do it but many do. As with men.

• Well the study was inclusive of men and women and said the same for both.

• Really I usually find that both sexes underrated themselves. It's kind of sad.

• Don't think so. . both genders have insecurities especially women

• You're talking about standards they set for their partners. It's a complete different story.

• I actually see the opposite more. Women seem to be under rating themselves as supposed to men overrating themselves. Both men and women have insecurities but I think its more visible from the female perspectives.

What Guys Said 9

• I'm not sure that's true. I've heard a lot of women on GAG and in real life say that they're unattractive when I very much disagree.

We tend to tolerate men bragging more than women. A man who touts his looks is likely to be considered confident. I feel a woman who touts her looks is more likely to be perceived as stuck up.

• This is so true, I said on a "rate yourself" question that I sometimes feel like I look like shit but other times I think I look really good. The girl downvotes came faster than you can say "Don't be a hater dear." If I had said I felt ugly all the time they would have been like "omg no ur so pretty!"

• @CommieDearest
      Oh, don't worry. Other GAGers would tell you two to get a room. However, I like to watch...

• @kheserthorpe
      I agree with much of what you said and it's interesting. Over time, however, repeated telling oneself that one looks good or bad starts to sink in. Sometimes the person starts to believe it.

• I've seen about an even share of insecure girls going on and on and on with the "I'm fat" bullshit to the point where I think they just want me to overly compliment them. But I've definitely seen dating profiles where they put their body type as "average" and I see them and think "average american.." I don't think I've ever seen a fatty put "slender" on their profile.

But if you're getting your ideas based off the dating profiles keep in mind they're "selling themselves"(not in the prostitution way) to potential dates. If they put a dating profile that says "I'm fat and I watch TV all day" no one will really message them. Positive vibes do bring positive results

• Actually most women are pretty insecure about their looks. But what they over rate is what kind of guy they deserve. They think they should have a top notch guy when the girl ain't shit. That's where the insanity lies. They have been taught this by the media and their ho mothers.

• i see most women on here downplaying their looks, but on dating sites, they'll sometimes exaggerate it. I really thing venue has a lot to do with what a woman will say about how she looks. On here, downplaying your looks is more socially acceptable than the reverse is.

• Both men and women are both over and underrate obviously, it's all about self-confidence.

That said, I'll have experienced more insecurity's with women than men, so if anything I would say it's the other way around - but that is only my personal view, it not objectively.

• Women talk pridefully to disguise how insecure they are. Men talk humbly to disguise how insecure their not.

• I feel like a lot of girls say they are ugly just so they can be called pretty! I mean I used to actually think I had unique good looks but I don't know I think I am way too hard on myself now.

• I feel like some hot people say they are unattractive just to be modest.

• It changes from person to person, but I'd say both underrate themselves equally.