Why is it ok to call a man short, but not ok to call a woman fat?

So any man who is below the average height, its ok for women to call them short, but any women above the average body weight, men should be nice and never call them fat?

I ask this question because a few days ago I overheard a woman calling a man short because he was short. Now I could only imagine if that same man heard her and called her fat. And yes she was fat.

Note: And before anyone come with insults towards me, I'm 6ft 3inch tall with a very lean body. Eating right and hitting the weights and cardio 5 days a week does wonders for the body.

96

Most Helpful Girl

• Why do we have to call anyone short or fat? These are obviously things peoples are aware of and are insecure of, no one really needs to point it out and make them feel worse about it.

If someone has to point something out about someone that makes them feel bad, they have some major insecurities of their own that they need to handle.

What Girls Said 8

• Outside of dating... people are stereotyped and discriminated against more for weight than height. Aaaaand women are suppose to be more sensitive than men.

• It's okay to call a woman fat. I was fat in my early 20's and my best friends always told me I was fat - multiple times a day and sometimes hour but they took care of me and looked out for me and protected my interests and they were good and real friends. If you are fat and can control that - a real friend will tell you you are fat.

• People call me fat and i don't care. I just shove more food down my mouth YAYYYYY
    Never knew its wrong to call a women fat. You're just stating facts, suck it up and accept it right?

• Um, its not okay to call a man fat either so there goes you falsely perceived double standard. People are much more sensitive about weight than height. You can't call a woman or a man fat.

by the way people tells girls they're too tall all the time.

• I didn't realize it was the equivalent for a guy. I will be mindful of that from now on.

• You can call a man and a woman short. You can also call them both fat if you're a true blue asshole. Either way they have no correspondence as insults.

• They are different, yet similar.

Fat is based on a cultural idealization of beauty, and its a casual slang term. there's no medical or technical use for the word "fat" other than the fat that you have on your body (which everyone has). there's overweight, obese, etc. But that alone isn't really the worst of it, its that women specifically have a huge cultural stigma against them when they're overweight or obese. Hell, sometimes women who aren't either but simply aren't what we see as "thin" or "hot" are called "fat" as an insult. there's a lot of hatred behind it too really. I'm a "fat" girl. I call myself fat but I'm not blind as to where that comes from or what it means to a lot of people. there's a definite connotation and stigma with it. Men get shit for being "fat" too, but I definitely believe women get it much worse.

Short, on the other hand, is not really a cultural idea as much as "fat" is. Its based on relativity, compared to a national average. What is short one place is tall somewhere else. But short doesn't really come with the blatant stigmas and aggressive insults like fat does. Its literally a description that can be based on fact - you can be shorter than average. I won't pretend to not know that people do have prejudice toward short people but its often more subconscious than anything. For example, studies done that show taller people get more respect in certain areas or are more likely to hold certain positions, etc. (Although that could also have to do with confidence patterns and conceptions of self leading to likelihood)

I think its clear that short and fat are very different in insult. Also, I don't really ever see people just going up to people and shouting "you're short!" in the adult world. Maybe if they're already fighting or they have tension between them. I really can't remember the last time any woman just randomly said that to a guys face. Its not even a first thought for insult usually. Fat, on the other hand, often is.

• Aside from just using it as a descriptor of people (not as an insult), the last time I really used short as an insult was in 5th and 6th grade. This boy would tease me all the time and I was a chubby little kid, so he poked at my weight. I wasn't going to just take that so I started ripping him apart about his height. We did that all the time, back and forth. But we were friends at lunch time lol

• that's nice you share your height and weight haha
    yes, it is okay. because height isn't and has never been such an issue in our culture like weight is. I haven't heard of anyone getting suicidal by telling them "you're short" and I've heard a shit load of cases when calling someone "fat" caused depression.

• it's me again.
      I'll correct myself. it isn't 100% okay to tell someone all the time "bleeh, you are so short;///" but I think there is horrendous difference between harmfulness in comments about weight and height.

• I disagree. How do you know how painful it is calling a man short? For most men it doesn't bother them. For the other it hurts them just as much as a woman is hurt being called fat. I personally never call anyone fat or short. Those two thoughts I keep to myself and never let them leave my mouth.

• I don't know if any single man on the Earth won't be hurt after hearing he's short. I just base my opinion on everything I see and hear, not only around me, but my friends and their friends and so on, so I think it can be pretty accurate. I've never heard about a guy being hurt because of someone commenting their height.

What Guys Said 6

• I see comments about how it's ok to call them fat on the internet, but in my day to day life it's a huge no-no with girls. But I honestly think the same holds true for calling guys fat... at least with people I know... but most own up to their weight unlike girls... some of which spend hours upon hours trying to wear clothes hiding it. I honestly think if a girl is devastated by such a comment she just knows how true it is and needs to do something about it. It's a very different situation... unlike a guy who is just stuck with his height,

• Its a double standard. Girls are often valued for their beauty and calling them fat is like saying they have no value. Girls are more likely to suffer from self esteem issues due to their body/self image and society is more understanding to the feelings of women. We have all this no "fat shaming propaganda" so for someone to criticize a persons weight especially a woman's weight is frowned upon even though being weight is most likely a result of their own poor decisions. Also due to political correctness, if you are a straight, white, man you essentially don't have the right to be offended by anything, or to criticize or judge anyone. You are expected to sit down and shut up. ... Ill also add I love the way you clarified by saying "and yes she was fat" lol

• Its not a double standard. It is unacceptable to call men fat as well.

And people tell tall girls they're too tall all the time.

• @been_waiting maybe I shouldn't have said double standard bur it's more acceptable to criticize a man's looks than a femalespecially looks. This is just my opinion, but unless you have stats you can't really disprove what I said so let's agree to disagree on that... now the height thing, girls are only judged on their height if they are too tall ie over 5'9 and actually they sometimes do quite well, look at the models. So being tall for a girl isn't bad unless she's over 6 ft which is really rare. Now guys are judged for being too short. Guys who are 6 ft and over get more attention than shorter guys. ISo guys are at a disadvantage when they are under 6ft. It is more common for a guy to be under 6ft than it is for a girl to be over 5'9 so I think guys are more affected by height than girls are. Plus girls wear heals which puts even more stress on a guy to be taller. He doesn't just have to be taller than her barefoot but also when she's got 3 inch heals on.

• Umm, unless you're at work, where you have to be courteous to customers, what's stopping you from callign a woman fat?

And yeah, isn't it fabulous how easy it is to see results of lifting weights and eating right? I was ill a lot of the summer, just getting back into lifting and loving it!

• it's not ok to call women anything humiliating, while men can be referred as pigs and what not

• Because if men want to get laid society dictates that they must pander to the desires of women. Not the other way of the around. This has warped many peoples views on these factors. Short does not equal fat. I fat handsome man should never be with a fat woman, and a fat woman deserves only a fat man regardless of his height.

• Women have 2 sets of rules

• They think it's ok for them to hurt a short mans feelings but don't want their feelings hurt by being called fat. I you can dish it out be prepared to take it. Can't have it both ways ladies. Hence 2 sets of rules!

• If not I *