Would Your Parents Be Mad At If?

If you dated someone who wasn't the same race as you?

I am black, and I one time dated an Asian girl. We both really liked each other, but she ended it, because her parents didn't like the idea of her dating a black guy.

Would your parents be mad if you dated outside your race?

• Yes, They Would Mind
  • No, They Wouldn't Mind
Lol... polls are nice... but I also want to see some explanations. You can be anonymous! My parents told me they would be happier with anyone I dated, as long as I am happy... and as long as they are respectful :).

Most Helpful Girl

• Yup. They'd be really, really, really mad and demand that I break it off. HOWEVER, I think they would make an exception if he was an -extraordinary- person. Not just nice, respectful, smart... he'd really need to be something else. Personally, I'm attracted to people of all races and want to find someone who I can be happy with... but I'm not sure a guy is worth abandoning my family over.

What Girls Said 20

• No they don't... they kinda expect me to. I don't mean want me to but they know I like guys of every race so it's no big deal.

The only time one of my parents did it was my dad he said you're not marrying a white guy, but he was just kidding because he knew I liked Justin Bieber (when he first came out) but after that he told me you know I'm just kidding as long as any guy can treat you as well as I do then he's fine with me.

• I'm an Asian girl and personally if say my dad found out I went out with an Asian guy I'd get in a lot of trouble. But if he found out I was going out with a guy of any other race or color I'd be in a s*** load of trouble.
    So that being said, I kind of understand her breaking it off with you.

• Wait... so if you date an Asian guy, you'd get in trouble? And if you dated guys of other races... you'd still be in trouble? Then... who can you date XD?

• Even though I'm not deeply religious, my dad is. And I've always been attracted to Asian guys so even though I would get in trouble by my dad, I'd still find a way to be with him despite that if it came to the point where we're serious.

• My dad is extremely old fashioned to the point where he's actually kinda racist (he's from the 50s so...)

However if I really liked a guy who was black or hispanic, he'd probably put up with it for my sake. Thankfully my boyfriend is Italian and he doesn't mind them, so I don't have to go through that drama lol.

• My family wasn't mad when I dated a white person but they picked at me a lot and they called him names LOL!!! But we were even because his mama hated me and let me know that it was because I was black lol

• Honestly I wouldn't care if my parents were mad it's my life and my interest. If I'm happy with that person then that's all that matters.

• They'd abandon me even if i broke it off.

• Like, any race? Or just a specific race?

• They'd hate on anyone that isn't Chinese. What makes it worst is that they only like those that speak a certain dialect too. *face palm*

• no my family would prefer it. id get 'cultural points' ;p

• They'd be furious and want me to end it. If it was an Asian that broke up with you then don't take it personally. It's not cuz of what your race is that her parents were mad. It's simply that you weren't Asian. My parents are like that too

• Both of my parents dated outside of their race in high school, so they're cool with it. Its the guys family that I worry about. Like if his family doesn't accept me, will he choose me over them or like you know, what will happen?

• My parents don't care at all. As immigrants to Australia, I'm sure they expected it.

That being said, I have a very multicultural family.

• Parents are one thing you consider, but the person also has to be a little selfish and think of themselves. If your parents forced u into an arranged marriage and you don't even like the girl, you'll be miserable for the rest of your life.. I dont think she should of only listened to her parents. If you guys love each other, nothing else should matter.

• Well im Pakistani asian. I had a chat with my mum about this and she said she would support me no matter what. Where as my dad would disown me, his beliefs in Islam are strong.

• Nah. They'd freak the frick out if I was interested in a non religious guy.

• 6my parents dont look at color they see personality

• Narh they let me make my own decision and they support me on it, race doesn't matter :)

• My parents are not the same race, so they don't have the right to tell me not to date people from other races.

• Why do I completely opposite with you??I'm Asian and I like a black man, my family like him too. But he turned me down,because of the age difference (he is 7 years older than me), cultural difference, and uncertainty of the future, although he said he also like me.

• OMG! We are almost the same XD. We should get back at them by dating each other :p. Lol. Jk.

• I really like him, I think what all is not the problem, why did he consider so much? Should I give up?

• My parents wouldn't care. My dad is black so he has a thing about me dating black guys. I guess that's why I steer clear of black dudes... I mean I'm not racist!! I'm not!! I have like 19 black friends but dating a black guy friend is an eh with my dad. I don't know why. My mom doesn't want me dating Spanish dudes unless they're from like Spain...

• So you're dad doesn't want you dating black guys? And you're mom doesn't want you dating Spanish dudes XD? Why Spanish dudes.

Black fathers are funny... while my parents don't really care who I date... my Dad has "hinted" that he wants me to date white women XD. And my mom has expressed interest in me dating black women XD.

Like I said, they don't really care who I date... but they have shown preferences for certain women for me XD.

• I have absolutely no clue!!

Yes they are xD I don't get why he is against me dating black guys. I think he's just 'scared' lol and yes same thing about the preferences

• My parents are different races, and I think I'm alright ;D

• What is your background?

• Filipino, Italian mainly.

• I'm biracial, and I'm sure my parents would be mad at me if I ever decide to date someone who's neither white nor asian.

• That's interesting. I always thought that parents who were in an interracial relationship would be more accepting of this kind of stuff XD

• Nah, my parents are a lot narrow-minded; I don't even know why they ended up together.

What Guys Said 6

• My parents are the most racist, bigot, stereotyping and manipulating people I've ever met. They've always tried to lecture me on not mixing the blood and that my children will always be bastards and that nothing good ever came from marrying outside the race. Their whole ass backwards Pacific Island thought process has pretty much wrecked havoc through out my life. I NEVER tell my folks about my personal life let alone who I am dating. They should be lucky to even be invited if I get married.

• Wow. That really sucks! At least you are open to dating outside your race.

• Ha. I'm the same way. I have nothing against black girls, BUT everyone is my family is black (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc)... so I want to shake up my family dynamics and date interracially. Guess I'm a rebel :p.

• @Asker That's kind of how I see it, but if you family told you that you weren't allowed to, what would you do? For sake your happiness with the girl or for sake your family? It's a truth I will have to face in the future.

• My parents would say something if she was not the same nationality as me. In the end they will not mind at all.

• Nope we see all the same we all bleed red

• As an Asian, our parents have a weird hate for blacks. Mostly because the Asian community is tight and if one Asian gets robbed by a black dude, everyone hears about it and they start to develop a hate for blacks. One thing I really dislike about my aunts and uncles, but my mom and dad are cool with me hanging out with whoever I want

Although my dad is a bit sided with me hanging out of anything other than blacks because he's had his car stolen and was robbed twice by blacks. He is also a bit old so that would explain a bit of it, like Vietnam veteran old (he fought for South Vietnam and spend 8 years after the war as a POW if anyone wanted to know)

• I'm white they are dead. It cost me roughly 500 thousand.

• My parents wouldn't care and their opinion on who i shouldn't date doesn't matter anyways. They can believe what they want but if they didn't like a girl I was dating because she was Asian or black that's their problem.