How to politely ask what size your BF wears?

My BF's birthday is coming up and I would like to buy him some clothes. Only thing is he tells me he's a certain size, BUT I think he is a size bigger. He's a tall, husky guy and I think he would be better off wearing a Big and Tall type of shirt than a regular sized one. I want to ask him but dont wanna offend him either. Whats a gentle way to ask him this question? Also we're long distance at the moment, so I can't just up and go to the mall and check his tags lol. Any answer will be appreciated

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you ordering a special shirt from an online store or just finding something at the mall that you think looks nice? If you're shopping at a store that is also around him, you can just pick the size that looks like it will fit him and include a gift receipt. This way he can go exchange it if he needs a different size. If you're ordering from a specific online store, you might have to ruin the surprise and tell him you're buying him a shirt (though you don't have to say what's on the shirt). But this way you can just ask him to check his measurements on the online sizing chart to make sure you buy the right one (since you can't always return online orders). And you can even say something like "I know this store tends to make their clothes small so sometimes I have to go a size up" so he doesn't feel self-concious about telling you the larger size.

Hope that helps!

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with @MothMonsterMan
    most men don't get too suspicious or insecure when asked their clothing size. Just act like you're are doing it for your relative or someone you know so he dosednt suspect anything.

Just act normal, he probably won't be alarmed especially if he's comfortable sharing information with you.

• Just ask him. Most guys honestly don't care. If you're really worried about offending him, maybe think of a different present all together until you can find out what size he wears.

• Call his mom.

• Do you know his mother? You could ask her, or just look at the labels on his clothes. Unless you want to have some with a measuring tape...

What Girls Said 4

• My boyfriend is an extra long extra tall because he's really tall and really lean. Steal a sweatshirt and check or ask his mom. Mom's know everything.

• I was kind of hesitant to ask my guy friend what size he wears once lol I just eventually asked him, "hey what size _____ do you wear I have something to send you" that worked.. Just randomly throw it into the convo.

• Ask him. I guessed my boyfriend's size and was right :)

• Or buy the size he said he is, and just get a gift receipt