Is cheating in a relationship ever justifiable?

Do you think that it is ever morally right to cheat on someone else, regardless of how good or bad your relationship is, and what would you consider cheating?

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Cheating can never be justified and is never okay. And I don't just consider sleeping with someone else or kissing someone else cheating, for example there's also like emotional cheating.

• You're right about the emotional cheating part, it doesn't always have to be physical

• I actually think that emotional cheating might just be worse than physical cheating.

What Girls Said 5

• I suppose it depends on which of the 7 ethical systems you choose to follow.

As for me, no, it's never justifiable.

• Cheating is never ever ever ok. I understand that things aren't always black and white and there are so many grey areas. But cheating is never ok

• i completely agree with you, if you're not happy it's best to end it, rather to hurt someone else because of your selfishness

• I've cheated before but it wasn't 'justified'. I just fell in love with someone else. Its never justified, even if you are hurt, etc.
    My advice - don't do it. Just break up with the one you are with. People who cheat aren't in love with whomever they are cheating on. That's just a simple fact.

• I guess if the person said they would do something terrible to your significant other if you didn't sleep with them, and you knew they would legit follow through with said threat, that would be justifiable. . . however I wouldn't consider that cheating I would consider that rape with the illusion of consent. If it's consensual cheating, with no coercion involved, then it's just not justifiable.

• nope. never. not at all. there's never an excuse.

What Guys Said 4

• For me cheating is never ok but the last year I got involved with a girl that cheated on her boyfriend with me. We talked a lot about it and we were trying to figure out why and how she even did it and why I went along with it. Finally I figured out that her relationship was so bad and she was so afraid of leaving being afraid of the unknown that she didn't leave. I thinks he has a deep fear of being alone. On the other hand the connection we shared seemed so strong that I said ok if you're not happy there it happened so there's nothing we can do about it and if you really feel the way it seemed she and wanted to leave him I said it would be considered acceptable. But in retrospect I don't know she stayed with him and then left him and came back and then dumped me and went back to him so maybe I shouldn't have gone along with it. Because all that happened was she hurt him by telling him what happened and their relationship is still screwed because I can see that she's still not happy even though we don't speak anymore. Yes it was ok for them for the first month but now same old story. And she also hurt me and everything could have been avoided if she had just mentioned she had a boyfriend in staid of keeping it to herself and then mentioning it only when it was really too late.
    So while things aren't always black and white I think I'm against it.

• No, cheating is never justified. It's really simple, cut and dried. When you're in a relationship and you pledge yourself to someone, you stay true to them. Simple as that.

• I think it is if you ask your partner multiple times to fix a specific problem and they're not willing to do so no matter what you say. It'd be much clearer if you could just say "okay then I'll go get it from someone else" because then it's not really cheating. The real problem with cheating is the deceit towards the person and the deceitful display of dishonest emotions, not the actual physical activity with another person.

• It depends. If I'm deployed for 12+ months then yeah I can see how the person would get lonely and all. This is just my personal opinion. It's not fair for me to be gone for so long so I guess she's got some right to get certain attention or whatever. Just depends on the circumstances, I guess. I wouldn't wanna know though

• At the same time she knew what she was getting into prior to

• My husband is in the military and though our time apart never exceeded four months the thought of cheating never crossed my mind, I wanted sex when he was gone, but I wanted sex with only him and so I waited. And now there's a bunch of talk about an upcoming deployment and I'll miss him, but I married him knowing he would be away sometimes and knowing I would have to wait for him, and I will.

Long distance does not make cheating okay.

• I understand that, but infantry have an 86% divorce rate or something like that. I don't know lol relationships aren't as black and white as they should be. You either have a career with the military or you do a stint and get a normal life (wife, kids, etc)