How high are your standards?

I ask because, I used to date any girl I found attractive, regardless of other features. (Definitely a douche move, but hear me out.) Since about 3 or 4 months ago, I have stepped up my standards by a lot. I have turned down 4 girls in the past few months, each of which was very attractive, but the personality just didn't match what I need. What about you?

• My standards are high
  • My standards are average
  • My standards are low

Most Helpful Girl

• That is tough. I can't really think of anything that is absolutely required. It is more just like if he seems nice then I'll go with it. Then if he continues to seem nice, I'll continue to go with it to see if anything happens further. I mostly go by intuition however, I have noticed patterns... a lot of guys that I like tend to have four lettered names for example, like me. They also frequently have blonde hair and sport a pair of shades. They often have that sense of humor that I particularly like and never have I really fell for a guy who didn't care about his hair. Oh yeah, and they are usually just about my size except a few inches taller, but I seem to be attracted to people that have about the same width.

It is not like these things are required though. I don't filter guys out based upon this criteria. It is just patterns that I have noticed xD

Oh well actually I guess there is one thing that is kind of important to me: caring about other people. I didn't used to do this, but now I tend to scan a guy's body language closely when he is flirting with me. I check to see how he treats other people, how he talks to children, older people, his parents. I don't mind nervousness, but I check for tense spots due to hostility or anger or any other negative thing that I don't really want too much of in my life.

• Thereeee we go, loved reading through your response. I do appreciate a girl who can get along with other easily. I had a girlfriend who ABSOLUTELY hated people, and children, and I just couldn't get over that, which was part of the reason we broke up. Thanks for your answer!

What Girls Said 15

• I voted high but it depends on what you consider high. My criteria:
    - A good loyal person.
    - Not dumb.
    - Looks attractive to me.
    - Not much older.
    - Not rich. I wouldn't date someone with a lot of money because it would make me feel insecure. Or I would think that he may think that I am after his money and I wouldn't want to deal with it.

• That matches mine pretty well. Obviously it goes beyond that, but I don't think your standards are high. Or at least I hope they aren't consider high, but they might be in our society :s

• I think I forgot one:
      - I wouldn't want him to have a "wild" past.

Oh unfortunately, I think they are haha! Thankfully, I guess I have found my guy.
      Anyway, good luck. Hopefully you will meet the right one someday.

• Oh yeah, definitely. Good luck to you too!

• I think its pretty clear by your post and the pretty (look at me pose) picture that your Gay.
    just stop trying to justify not dating girls because of "Standards" and admit that you lust a burly man.. you want a man to follow, and a man who makes you feel like the woman you really are.

no need to thank me later, my insight is a gift from Angels.

• Oh man, you are so totally right dude. How have I never realized this? Maybe as soon as girls stop getting me hard, I will consider that I'm gay. I never said I don't date girls, last girfriend I had was 3 months ago, do yourself a favor and stop being an ignorant troll, k?

• did name calling make you strait? NO ~ and neither will anything else you try.
      embrace it, dance, express yourself as a woman... they say the truth will set you free right? what is it you think they are talking about? Tax's? "They" are talking about accepting the truth.
      good luck girlfren..

• Alrighty, as long as you see your way out of here, I don't much care what you think. See ya.

• Look-wise, my standards are rather low. I have to be attracted to the person, but I don't need no supermodel. I'm not picky about height either, I don't understand why girls make such a big deal out of it.

However, I care about the persons personality very much. A good sense of humor is essential. Being active and spontaneous is also a very good trait. I find stupid people very unattractive, as well as potheads or other drug junkies.

TL;DR - low standards for looks, high standards for personality.

• I think it depends on your definition of high standards. To me, high standards is having a set of non-negotiable things you look for in a boyfriend or girlfriend that matter enough to you, that you wouldn't date someone without those things. By that definition, I do consider myself to have high standards.

If by high standards you mean only dating extremely rich and good looking people (my Aunt's definition), then my standards are pretty low lol.

• Yeahhhh, my family is a bunch of idealists, who only date based on wealth, intelligence, looks.

I honestly couldn't care less, as long a girl has thing in common with me, fun personality, I'm attracted too, none of that other stuff matters to me.

• Wow, it sounds like your family is exactly like mine. I had a really intelligent, cute, funny girlfriend once, but they absolutely hated her because of her tattoo sleeve, man. I don't even know what to say about them.

• Oh gosh, if my family saw my boyfriend's shoulder tattoo, they'd have a cow AND a calf. They think only thugs and ex cons have tattoos lol

• My standards are high, to me. Others may not value what I value.

• I think my standards are average but everyone tells me my standards r high for some reason.
    Like I will not date a guy even if he's the hottest guy ever, he has to be NICE and attractive as well. And we have to connect like I won't date a random nice and hot guy I actually have to like him a lot. And e has I be over 5'10 too. 😜

• We should be friends. Almost exactly explains how I feel, someone can be the nicest, most attractive person ever, but if we have nothing in common, I'm not interested.

• Of course a lot will think they have high standards. But on the same page ones high standars may be low standards to another person. It is a very subjective topic.

• Yeah it is very subjective. I wish I would have defined it better, but it got a small discussion going, so I guess I'm content. Good to see the values people hold.

• My standards are... pretty fluid, which ironically makes them pretty high. I tend to go about relationships with my gut, so I've found myself interested in all kinds of people (romantically or otherwise). The one thing that doesn't seem to change is that I don't like men much taller than me (I'm 5'9" and don't think I'd go over 6').

• Fluid, yet high? Hmm, I don't quite understand. The not liking men that are too tall is new, most girls want someone who is pretty tall.

• They would remind me too much of my father, who's 6'8" or so. And it doesn't really help that I prefer being the dominant person in any social situation... if I'm forced into submission, I feel uneasy.

As for my standards... suffice to say that I've only ever liked three guys enough to consider dating them or asking them out. Three, all of them totally different in looks and personality. I'm demisexual (if that's even a word), meaning that I feel physical attraction only towards people with whom I have established emotional and intellectual connection. Not the kind of mindset that allows you to ask random people out because they have pretty faces (which I WOULD do if I were at all interested).

• Hum to me they seem average and normal and to my friends they seem high. I'm sorry that I don't accept douche bags, low life, losers & not based on their looks but how they are. I much rather be alone then in bad company.

• That's the way to be! I have a friend, who knows her boyfriend has cheated on her several times, but she continues to stay with him. I'd never keep someone around like that.

• Totally and no way I'd be out as soon as I suspected something. SMH I much rather hear a guy tell me he doesn't feel the same with me and end the relationship than find out I was cheated on.

• To me, my standards arnt unrealistic. Treat me right, Marat my kids right, respect my values and my family. Yes there has to be some sort of attraction but that's not only it.

• I understand, I believe there has to be attraction for it to work, but yeah your standards are definitely realistic, and good ones at that.

• As long as the guy is nice, has a sense of humor, is respectful, plus some things in common with me and I find him attractive; then I'll go for him. So I guess my standards are average?

• I wish I would have defined standards better, I'm not even sure what I meant anymore. But those are good standards

• They are probably average to a bit high. Higher for personality than looks, but still.

• Personality is what drives a relationship, so I don't blame you.

• I want someone good looking and with a good heart. He has to be taller than me and with bigger feet.

• Bigger feet is something I've never heard of for standards, but hey, that's unique so it's cool. I definitely wouldn't fit that requirement haha.

• I just think it would awkward to date a guy with smaller feet.

• Yeah, I gotcha. I like dating girls similar to my body type or I find it awkward as well.

• 100% high standard I don't turn down guy for being ugly or anything but really. Like guys out my league I guess

• I like who I like. I don't think my standards are necessarily high. I like guys I'm attracted to, , who I click with, etc. A lot of people will date anyone who is attractive regardless of any other traits at my age. So they think I'm picky. I just don't say yes to whoever asks. I'm a person. I have my own wants and desires and goals. I'm not a handout.

• Great way to treat yourself too. I have turned down quite a few because they didn't meet my standards, I would never date someone I couldn't stand to be with.

• I don't like the term "standards. " it makes it sound like you have a check list.
      I'm just looking for an attractive guy (to me) who is funny, nice, has my values... that's it. If those are high standards... everyone else is ridiculous.

• Well, standards is just the simplest way to say, how much does someone have to embody values or characteristics that would make you want to date them. It might not be the nicest way to put it, but it's the simplest. I understand what you mean though

What Guys Said 12

• My standards are pretty high in both the looks and personality departments. So far all girls that have passed the looks test have failed the personality test.

• Yeah, looks don't mean anything to me if I can't stand the girl's personality.

• i dont feel my standards are that high where looks are concerned. I just want a girl who doesn't let herself go, and who has some level of personal upkeep. when it comes to personality, i just look for someone who is compatible, and who doesn't have a huge sense of entitlement. I really like girls who care about the poor, and are opinionated

• I would say my standards are high but very reasonable, treat me how you wish to be treated in a relationship and show respect the whole give what you get idea : )

• I gotcha.:) I have to have a quite a lot in common with someone to consider dating them, but what you said definitely holds true.

• My standards are low when it comes to looks because I don't think I deserve a good looking girl but they are high when it comes to personality.

• What? No man, anyone can have a good looking boy/girl friend, you just gotta find that compatible person!

• mine are high i guess, like physically that is subject to change and preference on the day lol, but emotionally and personality based i say i have very high standards :3

• Nothing wrong with that, man! Just means when you find someone that fits those standards, you are going to have your perfect girl:O

• Just be open minded.. and loyal is really all I ask.

• Open minded, definitely helps my relationships last.

• My standards are average now, but I'm working on setting them lower so I can actually get a GF.

• Haha, don't set 'em too low man, you can get a girl that meets your standards.

• I really don't know what to think of standards. You just have to have certain morals and decency so that both of us can live with each other without clashes of values. Past that, I'm old-fashioned.

• I figured standards would be the most comprehendable way to state it, but obviously it's very subjective from person to person. I'm interested in what you mean by old fashioned?

• My standards are way too high for my own good. I don't want a model but I want a girl I'm at least attracted to. Hopefully that happens eventually.

• Yeah, I agree. Attraction is a good thing, if I'm not attracted to a girl, I'm probably not looking to date her anyway.

• I have high standards when it come to personality

• I picked high but I think all women are crazy and or fucked up so it is pointless

• Oh dayum, that was straight to the point. You can't just give up like that man! There is someone out there that suits you

• NIce man! I goto Illinois all the time. I'm going there today actually! haha

• Where in Illinois?