Why does it seem that EVERYONE around me is in a relationship?

I'm a quiet, shy, straight-A student. Senior in high school. I don't have many friends but the one's that I do have are all in relationships or "talking" to someone. I'm not very attractive, I know, but I'm nice and kind. I've tried talking to guys but they're always so awkward around me, as if they don't like talking to me. I don't even have male friends. It usually doesn't bother me but yesterday, I went out with my friends and they all were cuddled with their boyfriends. And I witnessed our foreign exchange student, who hasn't even been here a month, already got asked out several times and has a date to homecoming. It's my last school dance and at everyone of them, I've had to watch as my friends danced with their SOs the whole night. Even my younger brother is dating.

Most Helpful Guy

• It took me until I was 23 before I got in a relationship. I was in a similar position in that all my friends and family had partners and I always was the third wheel. I didn't even go to my year 12 formal (your prom). It seems like everyone is in a relationship because you've brought it to the front of your conscious. You can't stop thinking about it. And so wherever you see it wherever you go. It might seem like it's following you, but you're following it. We all do it over various things we can't stop thinking about.

Don't take it personally, just keep doing what you're doing. Focus on yourself, school and importantly keep putting yourself out there. Don't be afraid of rejection because it happens to everyone. And don't settle for the sake of it as well. I've done that and it never turns out well. Not being in a relationship doesn't make you any less of a person either.

Your time will come! So don't worry about that.

• What even is putting yourself out there? I don't understand that. And they always bring it up. "Oh my boyfriend did this." "Oh, I'm going on a date." "OH EM GEE, he got me this gift!"

• It means that you keep going out and socializing with different people. You don't condemn the world and everyone in it and stay in the conform of your house/room. It's a mistake to envy people in relationships. I've been just as happy when I was in one as when I was single. Just be patient and focus on the things that make you smile. If you don't know what they are then try new things and explore. It's a big world out there and I promise there's someone for everyone. But the world doesn't work without our schedule.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 5

• Because you put your focus on them, that's why it appears as if everyone around you is in a relationship. But there are actually more and more people going through life single than ever before!

• You need to get a group of friends that are single and fun. Don't go into a relationship because all of your friends are taken.

• I am 19, and I never had a boyfriend. The right guy will come for you when it is the right time.

• Tbh, I don't like when people say that. It's like something to distract you then when that time comes and nothing changes, you're even more disappointed. I said high school was gonna be a lot better than middle school. I hate high school with a passion and just barely pull myself out the bed in the mornings. And my mom is gonna make me go to prom cuz she had boyfriends and dates in high school and thinks I should too. I'm gonna have to end up paying a guy to take me to a dance again.

• I know how you feel I'm 23
    And pretty much everyone who graduated from high school with me is either pregnant married or about to get married or in a relationship.

• Are your friends/foreign exchange student a lot prettier than you or are you guys about the same?

• I don't know how to judge things like that but I think they're a lot prettier than me. Really photogenic too.

• Yeah they have lots of guy friends. But every time I try to make a guy friend, they act very awkward, don't look me in the eye, and go very quiet. Cut me off in conversation and all that stuff.

• That's why you don't have a bf haha guys don't ask out random girls they haven't hung out with before let alone someone they've hardly spoken to. What do you say?