I'm dating my step-brother? wtf.

Okay, so I just transferred to UCIrvine a couple of months ago and I met this guy on campus. He is great. He is super funny, very sweet, and he is gorgeous. We officially started dating two months ago. He introduced me to his mom as his girlfriend. His mom was in shock when she saw me because apparently my picture is in my dad's house. My dad is her fiance' of 6 months.. I don't really talk to my dad because of family issues, so I had no idea about his love life. She asked me what my name was and she started telling me all that she knows about me, and how my dad loves and misses me, and blah, blah.

Then she said "wow, we all need to have a big talk.", and she giggled. She showed me her engagement ring and their pictures they took on vacation. Just flaunting everything. Me and my guy were put in a very awkward position.

We didn't say much after that, but now me and my guy are confused about a lot. We don't know what to do. I only thought this stuff happened in novels. But I'm really freaking out.

What can we do?

We haven't had sex yet, so it wouldn't be that awkard if we split and became step-bro & sis. And we aren't at the in-love stage yet.
I do love him, and he loves me, but we haven't gotten to that super-romantic phase yet. I'm 20, he is 19, and we are kind of waiting for sex.

Most Helpful Girl

• im sorry but your life sounds like an episode of gossip girl haha :/

firstly I think the four of you should sit down and have a big long talk, like his mom suggested. discuss things like how this would effect the four of you if you and your guy stuck together, and they married. also, like other people have said, you two are not blood related, so it is not incest. however, its true that no matter what , people would still talk. and since it would be easy to find out the truth anyway if you lied, don't hide anything but no I'm not saying you should parade around telling everyone he's your stepbrother.

hope it works out.

What Guys Said 11

• Well, it certainly is a bizarre and unlikely set of circumstances. I can understand the incest vibe, since you could become step-siblings, but even if that did happen it would not actually be incest as there is no blood/genetic relation. You have the beginnings of a good relationship, it just that your respective parents seem to have the same, producing a strange square of relationships. Still it wouldn't be wrong in any way, just awkward.

• You and he have no blood relation, so while it might be a little weird there is nothing wrong with it.

• Don't sweat it there is no blood between you, just don't advertise it being your soon to be step brother.

• Wow, what are the freaking odds of that. Stay with that guy, your dad and you don't share much history. That's bull, if you think you have to leave him or be told it's "wrong".

• woah haha that is awkward but in best case scenario he's not your brother but just don't think about the step brother deal you love him LOVE CONQUERS ALL not like your kids will be messed up

• wow what are the odds?

but I think this kind of stuff was meant to be like meant to fix things with ur father (idk about ur bf) but I think the whole point of you meeting him was to finally talk to ur dad and see what's up with him but best of luck to you and ur boyfriend and ur dad!

GOOD LUCK =)

• That makes a lot of sense... and my guy said the same thing. Thanks.

• lmao wtf? what are the odds of that?

• No big deal. You aren't related! Think about this, there are thousands of couples that marry their siblings spouses sibling. Nothing awkward. If you 2 love each other, then everyone else can just DEAL WITH IT!

• Call me 2147159641
    Or Kik psychopartyboy

• Step-siblings are not related in any way. That was just a stupid term invented by people to make combined families feel more united. As far as you two should be concerned, you are just a guy and a girl who are in love, whose parent happened to marry the others. Don't worry about it!

• Like my sister told me once as long as there's no same blood to mess things up and it doesn't squick you then go for it.

What Girls Said 12

• 1) He is not blood related so its not like it is incest.

2) You were not raised together like brother and sister.

3) You started dating before you even knew about your parents.

You two are doing nothing wrong and will probably never really feel like siblings since you are adults with parents that are getting married. You don't even talk to your dad much so I see no reason for why this should be awkward.

• Even if they were siblings, they still wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

• Wait, do you mean blood siblings, step siblings, half siblings?

• Date him. You guys didn't know and there is nothing wrong I think on my part.. Do it you guys really aren't related..

• things like this happen a lot more than you would expect, dont' panic. your both old enough by the law to even get married. as long as you haven't lived with your guy from under the age of 18, your perfectly say.

it is confusing when something like this happens and I can only hope I replyed in time to tell you that if you love in and he loves you, then don't let each other go, because that will live with you for the rest of you lives.

I would love to hear from you and I would like to know what has happened in over a year. if you want to talk, email me at, jadekennedy1@hotmail.co.uk

I'm not exactly a role model here, I'm younger than you are, but if you ever feel confused or need an sort of advise on this subject, don't be scared to ask for it.

• I would talk to your guy about it and see where he stands. You haven't done anything wrong, and in all likelihoods, his mom will leave your Dad at the alter. Kudos on staying away from your Dad though.

• Ha well. I'm dating my step brother. Our parents forbid us to be together but we're totally in love so it doesn't matter. Besides that, and the random people calling me incest at school ( he's graduated he doesn't have to deal with it) it's super great I mean we're not really related! So I say keep it up. Especially since you didn't know to begin with.

Good luck :)

• i am going through the same thing. we met when we were 14 and a year later our parents got married. we had hit it off from the start and ever since then we have been insepretable its been 5 years already and a few of our family knows his mom side accept us but my dads has out casted me and him. we are soon leaving off to college and that's when we plan to live our life how we want it and slowly let our family know... but till this day what could happen...

• Well he's technically not your brother...so just wait and see what happens.

• its ok to stay together. you didn't even know you were going to end up in this. just consider them the weird ones :P

• go ahead with it- it happens more often than you think ;)

• Really? any experience? (:

• Nope not me, people I know; but at one point I did consider persuing a relationship with my fairly new (to me) stepcousin... but then I realized the reason I was attracted to him was bcuz he reminded me of this other guy I knew- I'm majorly cautious, though, and didn't get with either of them; not something I regret, because the guy I'm with is awesome!!

• Go for it, its not like he's your real brother

• wow, I'm sorry. that sucks really bad.

you guys MUST talk.

• not as bad as a girl here in my town she fell in love with her step brother and they now have kid she knew 1st alittle weird I think. but urs go for it maybe ur paretns won't work out lo