How do I tell my dad I'm dating a Muslim?

I'm dating a very lovely turkish australian guy from a Islamic background. He's not religious at all apart from not eating pork but still identify as a Muslim. The problem is my dad has a unrealistic fear of Islam and can be zenaphobic towards muslim people. He's not a bad person but I'm not sure how to tell him Im dating a Muslim.

Most Helpful Girl

• *xenophobic, sorry I'm kind of a grammar nazi XD

How long have you guys been together? If you feel like you should tell them, just go lie "Hi mom, hi dad, this is my boyfriend xxx, he is Turkish and he is an amazing guy and i really like him, and your approval would make me very happy." They should accept it, it is your life and not theirs. Also, I find discrimination against certain religions ridiculous; my dad is the same as yours.

What Guys Said 2

• Well, seems like if Islam and Muslim are things that trigger your father's fears and such, then you should just not tell him about it until after he meets the guy and gets to know him.

Most people who are zenaphobic don't really know someone of the group they hate. Religion is nice because you can "hide" it while you prove that you're a good person first. Then you can let your father know that his is in fact Muslim and your father won't mind because he has already accepted him.

• don't tell him yet.
    Introduce him to the family without telling them. If your dad's ok with him without knowing religion you've won.
    Now that your dad's ok with him, it's time to tell your dad he's a muslim. If your father flips out, you can call him out for being a hypocryte, and point out how he seemed coll with your bf before you told him he was a muslim.

What Girls Said 2

• Why do you have to tell him at all? Just say you two don't discuss religion.

• all i can tell you is good luck.. i've been through this before

• Thanks, was your citation ok.

• I'm very sorry

• its okay... its been some years ago... but he sometimes use different phone numbers to contact me... but all i do is block him