Should I be asking a girl to be my girlfriend by the third date?

is there any other way to word this properly or am i just using the wrong term? also a little background on my scenario, I've been dating this girl for the past two weeks and we seem to be hitting it off well, but she's confusing the hell out of me through text. at one moment we'll be flirting and teasing each other, but today she noted me as a "friend." did i just get friend zoned through dating? so i feel like i need to tell her asap before she gets the wrong idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nooooooo. Noooooooo. Nooooooooo. Oh yeah and did I mention the word NO? :)
    Definitely do NOT tell her anything about your stronger feelings right now, especially after she said 'friend'. She might just be saying that because you haven't said something to her about being more than friends, or she may actually feel that way - but I doubt it cause why would she go on three dates in two weeks with you if you are just friends?
    Just ride it out - keep doing what you are doing. Seems to be working fine. Id say wait at least another couple of months before you go into the more than friends talk. Its not really about the amount of dates, its more about the amount of time you know a person before getting too serious too fast. And even if she REALLY likes you right now trust me she doesn't want to hear you say that yet. Her interest will fade fast. Girls are like guys are - they like the chase too. lol

• why would girls wanna be in the chase for that long tho? wouldn't they just want to hear the guy to tell her that he likes her?

• so how long is an optimal time to tell her? also when should i ask her out on our third date? we've been on two the past two weeks.

• Wait another week then ask her out again. Then maybe during the date tell her how pretty she is, etc and lead up to it slowwwwwwly tell her how fun she is, etc. Don't just blurt it out. That really should be enough at that point. You can take her cue from there. If she says things to you after that then its a green light and you have nothing to worry about - if she's like 'oh thanks' and blows it off then you will have a totally different answer. And that way you aren't left sitting there rejected just in case she doesn't want anything more because you didn't really go there, you just were feeling out the situation. Do you know what I mean?

What Girls Said 4

• No, she may feel pushed and might not want anything (similar) with you after it.

• If you have had at least two or more years of friendship with her, you may ask her, but if the time is less, then no.

• Just ask her to be your girlfriend and see what she says. That way at least you'll know what she wants instead of guessing.

• No just spring it on her ease into it. She may like you as more than just a friend, but because you guys have never defined/discussed the status of your relationship calling you a friend was easier than saying this is my bf and have you reject it.

• I will always refer to a guy as my friend even if I have feelings for him bc I'm scared if he does not reciprocate :)

• I do the same thing. I refer to my current crush as a friend. He must think he's friendzone though

• It's a defense mechanism kinda... like there's fhis guy I definitely like, but I'm afraid to take things further so I still call him my friend or try to avoid talking about what we are lol I know it's weird and us girls should be more up-front

• I totally agree with anon and introvertedgirl - that's exactly how all girls think and do things. I agree it probably leaves a lot to the imagination of the guy but its better than saying too much too fast and being rejected or going too fast.

What Guys Said 1

• Three dates seems a little soon.