Girls - what are your thoughts on dating a mentally ill person?

Would you find it too stressful or would you somehow try to make it work? I'm just curious as I have a few mental disorders and want to hear opinions.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I would make it work if it were light. I've dealt with severe depression and ptsd throughout my life from traumatic childhood experiences, and I prefer romantic interests who have had some sort of mental illness in the past. We understand each other better and have more similar interests and similar perspectives on life.

What Girls Said 12

• My mother had bipolar, schizophrenia, depression and she was addicted to crack cocaine. She also died becasue she didn't care about her health. Growing up was very hard becasue she was not always taking her meds and was self medicating herself with crack and other drugs. Im not sure if she ever loved me and my borthers and sisters. Im not sure she even loved herself. we all ended up seperated. my youngest bro and sis in foster care and my other sis with my grandma and i had to live with my dad. when i was a kid she tried to sell me to some drug dealers for crack and i ran away from home a couple of times.

i had low self esteem and depression and ended up dropping out of high school. At age 18 I met a guy who ended up being my first boyfriend and he too was mentally ill however i did not realize it a first and he also kept it from me. I know he kept it from me because i told him about my experience with my mom. After about 1 month and a half of being with this guy, i saw him sniffing cocaine, he couldnt hide it from me any more. He then started threatening my life. he told me that i could never leave him or he would kill me. he held a gun to my head and pulled a knife on me many times. He threatend to kill my family too. I was taking classes at the community college and he kept me from going to school. He said that he didn't want me to be around guys because they were looking at me. one day i found this plastic bag full of perscription pills with his name on it. He had loads of zyprexa and other pills. I remember i researched the pills becasue i wanted to know what they were. they were all anti-psychotics.

our relationship lasted a year. i had anxiety attacks. a few times i ended up in the hospital. He got locked up and then i was free at 19 years old. I was scared to death of that guy.

I am 25 now and in a healthy loving relationship with my fiance who is a pretty normal guy. I would never want to live the way i did again I still have anxiety attacks

• It really depends. What I couldn't deal with is if our entire relationship was about his mental illness. I would want support too, relationships are give and take, and that give and take might sometimes be uneven in times of need but it should for the most part be equal. My mom is married to my dad who is mentally ill so I understand what needs to happen to make it work and what kind of person you need to be. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as my partner was getting the help they need and contributing to the relationship and being respectful of me.

• My friend, who I currently like more than a friend, is mentally ill. He doesn't even know I like him lol. He has depression and bi-polar disorder. I am very understanding with him and even when it's stressful I don't get mad, it just makes me want to be there for him even more. In fact, it's a quality I even like, as bizarre as that sounds. Also, I used to have a massive crush on this guy who had schizophrenia. I didn't like these guys just because of their disorder, I actually liked them first and later found out what they were going through. Anyway, back to the guy I currently like. I have to be very patient with him, so I believe girls with patience would be ideal for you. It would never be a deal breaker and girls who are similar to me would care for you and be very understanding/patient and even see it as an extra quality to your character. You don't have to worry at all, trust me. You will find someone who will love you off and on medication. xxx

• Also, I think its because I suffer with mental health issues that makes me feel like we would have a mutual understanding and similar views. i feel that he would understand me as i understand him, if that makes sense.

• I have asperger's, add, ADHD, OCD, and bipolar depression. I'm sensitive. I cry easily. I'm get attached easily and gave trouble letting go of stuff. I'm shy at first, but very friendly and talkative once you get to know me. I'm very sweet, loving, and caring. I just want a guy to love me and accept me for who I am flaws and all.

• It depends on what illnesses the guy has, how severe they are, and how exactly they affect him.

But generally, as long as he is still level-headed and doing someone with his life, I am totally open to dating someone who has a mental illness. I've dealt with depression and anxiety myself, so I can completely relate. Those things don't define a person.

• I'm mentally ill and the people I date are usually mentally ill.

• I wouldn't hold it against someone. If we worked out then we work out. Depression is a hard one though. My ex was severely depressed and it was extremely hard. But like I said I wouldn't avoid dating someone if I liked them for the.

• It would depend on the severity of the mental illness. For instance, I could date someone who had anxiety or depression, but I couldn't date someone who was schizophrenic.

• as long as the person is responsible and takes their medication when they're supposed to, and is respectful and nice to me, I would date a mentally ill person. But also depends on how much the mental illness affects the person too.

• depends what they are and how you deal with them but personally its all cool with me

• Extremely detached from reality when they're off of their medication, bulimic, psychotic. It surprises me that anyone could deal with me when I'm like that.

• Absolutely not. I own a pair of rose coloured glasses.

• You have to be a strong, patient, kind person.

What Guys Said 2

• As long as it's not so severe that have splits from reality, yes. I believe a lot of people with mental disorders, because of what they've been through are possibly the most understanding people you can be with. A lot of them have felt the highest highs and the lowest lows so no mattet what, they understand your situation.

• It depends on the mental illness.