Would you go out with a girl who suffered from depression and anxiety?

I have major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder. I get panic attacks and I self harm: I have scars from cutting and I skip food even when I'm hungry to punish myself (I'm not anorexic). Anyway I've been told I'm a nice girl and pretty but once I feel close enough to a guy and feel comfortabl telling him (cuts all over your body and depression and random panic attacks are not things that are easy to hide from people) the guy usually freaks out and leaves. This makes me really sad and I don't know what to do about it, are guys freaked out by that, would you overlook all that stuff and date her anyway because you like her looks and personality? I'm really trying to control my disorders and I've made some progress

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as she is trying to get help I would be open to dating her. We all have hurdles that we have to overcome in life. If she refused to do anything to get help, it might become too heartbreaking to stay with her. I wouldn't want to see the woman I love continue to hurt herself.

What Guys Said 8

• I suffer from server, at times suicidal, depression, I suffer from anxiety, I have other mental health problems too. Most of my scars are fading now as I'm recovering well but far from perfect. I am with a girl who has similar mental health problems to me, with some variations to why or how they present and she is higher functioning than me.

I met her when I was at my worst and didn't know her, as she suffered similar she took it upon herself to help me even if it was just to help me til I done the what seemed inevitable. We fell in love and she saved my life. She isn't the only girl who has been willing to try dating me despite my mental health but my god she is the best one for understanding and helping.

It may well be that you need to find someone who can relate but there are many many people who are in similar situations to you who manage to find love. It can and will happen but it does take you working on your mental health to maintain it.

• IF the guy is some kinda psychologist, i bet he must be obsessive for you, actually these mental disorders have a beautiful landscape if we look into it closely at least what i thought. ok i think the others here would not agree with me it's all right, beauty lies in one's eye.
    But if he's a regular guy, somehow he could be being attractive to the pain, fragileness and the stand up of the porcelain by the masculine instinct of to protect others , the sentimental trait is treasure to them , it's an imperfection complex. in some other case, a guy with egotistic personalities will not appreciate it which they rather the girl takes care of him, also understanding and containment are not their purpose, i guess you already had met this kind.
    So in case you wanna commit to a guy urgently, whose could moderately comprehend the moody emotion and embrace it altruistically is a idea option for you, i think it's no harm to consider it before you run your standards

• I would not be able to overlook something like that. If I was single, I wouldn't be in the market for a fixer upper.

• I have been going through same stuff for many years so i can't judge
    i don't set my standards high on dating a girl whether she has problems
    it is something i can over look her illnesses

• When you reveal it to me, I'd try to help you recover and if I see you're making progress, I'd stick around for the long run. But if besides all my efforts, you still fell back on your old ways, I'd bounce. I think that's fair.

• wich one is you in the pic?

• No, You need a psychiatrists to help you with your problems. Who's to say you won't have an intense episode and say fuck everyone and everything and start cutting... everything. Not saying it will happen but you never know, seek help for your sake.

• I wouldn't need to overlook it, I have the same disorders. I would stick around and help you get better, even if it hurts me. It truly saddens me to see people in that state.

What Girls Said 2

• We have the same issues.
    I'm currently engaged to a wonderful guy who helps me through the darkest times

• There are men out there who won't want anything to do with it, but then there will be a man who loves you for everything you are, and accept that, because it is what is. I have anxiety and my boyfriend loves me none the less.. I get depressive and have mood swings but he still loves me, and he doesn't "put up with it", he accepts it and is understanding. I used to cut and have scars, I don't wear shorts in summer, only dresses long enough to cover because I cut my thighs only (quite bad) and you know what? The first time he saw, I didn't make faces or question me, he just kissed them. The thing is, if a man loves YOU, he will be nothing but loving and understanding and accepting of those things. :)