Is it a good idea to ask out my friend who is a guy?

I'm afraid of ruining the friendship.
We're not best friends but he's the best guy friend I've ever had.

I asked him out and he said yes! He also gave me his mobile number.

Most Helpful Guy

• He can be into you as well but maybe has always felt shy mentioning that.
    You should try talking to him and do discuss your fears with him.
    I would like to say one thing though. If you like him and don't mind taking a little risk that you might have to breakup, just go ahead with this.
    Friends make really good couples because they already know how to be with you, your likes and dislikes and they always know how to lift up your mood because Hey !! they have been doing it for years.

I am saying this only because I fell in love with my best friend and it was she who proposed me :D. She and I have been together since 3 years and I am loving each and every moment of it.
    I would have never done that but when she proposed me I said yes and we really hit it off. And the best part is that she is more respectful to me than any of my ex (been with 2 other girls in the past)

• Thank you, that's really encouraging and sweet! I'm glad things worked out so well for you :) I'm not afraid of breaking up, that's a risk you take with every relationship. I'm afraid of losing the friendship outright just because he knows I like him in that way.

• Haha
      so happy for you

• Thank you! 😊

What Guys Said 8

• Guys are never "just friends". I'm certain he won't turn you down.

• I don't know, maybe some guys only become friends with girls they're interested in, but surely there are also guys who become friends with girls they're NOT interested in.

• (*snorts) Thanks for the encouragement, but I would prefer if you did not refer to my gay friend as a woman. That's really offensive, plus homosexuality and transgenderism isn't the same thing. Besides, there are gay WWF wrestlers, boxers and football players out there. Who the heck would consider them feminine?

• I agree that being homosexual and being transgender are two different things.

• I asked out a really good girlfriend of mine, it didn't work out for me and it took us years before we were able to become really close friends again. However I know that I would have regretted not telling her a lot more than I regretted losing her friendship for a bit of time and at least now we are totally platonic and she gives me great advise from a girls perspective. Anyway I would say go for it, you will regret it if you don't.

• Thank you :)
      Do you also think it's a bit different for when it's the other way around? I mean, some people say girls tend to friend zone guys more and guys tend to see their female friends as potential girlfriends.

• That's good, I am really happy for you.

• Thanks :)

• i would take the chance if I know it will end well even if it went bad. So how'd do you know it'd end well? If he seems like the sort of understanding, kind type of person who would try to avoid conflict, or at least is level-headed.

I asked out my best girl friend, and we became best friends over the time we were going out. Even though we didn't end up together in the end, it was well worth it.

• He is an understanding person who tries to avoid conflict.

Thank you!

• Congrats! :D That's one small step forward hehe.

• Thanks :)

• You have to be willing to take the loss to get the chance at dating him.

• Ok... How can I tell if the chances are high that he would say yes?

• Not really. We talk about stuff... Sometimes he helps me with things... But we've never hung out to do an activity... I've never really had a guy friend before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

• He's really shy and a gentleman. I flirted with him once and he just froze up and stared at me, so I left.

• You miss one-hundred percent of the shots you don't take. If you're willing, take the shot ;)

• Date him. You'll never know if you don't at least give him a shot.

• Sure, go for it :)

• I would advise against it especially if he's a best friend. What if when you break up he resents you or you resent him... you've lost him as a person then?

• He's not my best friend... I have many girl friends who are closer to me than he is.

He's just the closest GUY friend I have.

• How did we go from dating to breaking up so quickly?

What Girls Said 3

• Well, if you really like him, you should go for it. But make sure he gets the message and understands that it is a date, not the ordinary hanging out. However, if you have a suspicion that you are not that romantically into him, I'd stick to a friendship point.

• Ok... Actually I've never specifically gone out with him one on one before... If i just ask to hang out with him (only him) do you think he'll think it's a date? I kind of want to spend some more time alone with him to find out if I do want to do date him. But I want to do it without arousing his suspicions that I like him.

• I see. So you want to check and, I'd say, you should) So just pick more or less neutral thing to do together like going for a walk, in this case you'll have opportunity to talk and get to know him better.

• Ok thanks! :)

• If you really like him then you should take the guts to ask him out and we won't know what will happen. right? He can even end up being your Life partner so sure go ask him Girl! Good luck! ;)

• its so easy for girls :( i wish i wasn't born an ugly guy

• Sorry isn't this a girl's account?

• ya it was a mistake and I've just kept it. Im a guy. an ugly guy sadly :/

• Aww sorry about that :(

You could try emailing the admins and asking them to change the gender of your account.