How long did it take you to get over your biggest heart break?

I know a girl who dated a guy for five years. The guy would cheat on her and she would run back to him every time because she loved him. It took her that whole five years to finally decide she had enough of being used. She went through a phase where she was messing around with other guys trying to get over her ex. It took her two years of being single and hooking up to even consider opening up to someone else.

How long does it take a girl like this to love again?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can't recall high school that much... but I have liked a few girls in college... when they friendzoned me... I was devastated throughout the entire semester I knew them... but I would still put on a happy face around them and be strong, but cry at night over it or while driving. I would only get over it when the semester ended and then I would cut all contact with them to prevent me from being in pain any longer.

Just recently... this girl had a crush on me... but I was still trying to figure out my feelings for her. When I finally figured things out, she found a new man. This happened a week ago. I am still trying to get over it, but it's tough. Just feel worthless now. Have her cell phone number, her social media sites... and she is always updating. I also start to question if this guy really likes her. Although he hangs out with her from time to time, he hasn't updated his social media status to "in a relationship with her" and he never talks about her on those sites. Yet, she talks about him all the time, likes all his statuses, always talks about how she wishes she can hang with him... but he never does this to her.

Anyway... back to the question XD. Takes me a couple months. I just listen to sad music, go to the gym, look at them on social media sites and ask myself "why did I like her?" and eventually it all subsides.

What Girls Said 16

• If you truly loved the person - I don't think it ever fully goes away. There will always be those times when we see them somewhere and our hearts skip a beat.

• Some people can just never in their lifetime get over someone if they loved them that much.

• 100% agreed. And its hard for some people to admit - well its easy on here, lol, but in normal general settings its harder. Its like people seem to frown on feelings of true love nowadays, especially if its no longer reciprocated.

• Falling in love will not be an issue, she will love again, with no time limit, its the learning to trust again which will be an issue. This is what will take time, learning to trust again. It is the biggest and longest challenge females face when they have been betrayed.

• It can take a really long time because of trust issues. But if she meets the right guy it can go faster. It all depends on what kind of girl she is

• I have never had a real heartbreak. Although I know if my boyfriend and I ever broke up I feel like it'd kill me. He's my first (and hopefully only) love.

• Three years for a relationship equally that long. Once I got over it I realized how I just wasted some good years so I gotten over things pretty quick since then.

• I just stumbled across this question and I'm so glad I did because I'm going through this right now and these responses are making me feel like I will be ok in time. I really believed he was the absolute love of my life and I dont really know if I will be able to ever fully get over the heartache that Im feeling right now. If this pain doesn't last forever, I'm sure it will at least be a real long time before I feel any better :(

• This girl wasn't just someone I know. She's slowly opening up to me and is my girlfriend now. I can see it in her eyes that she's happy, which I can tell is something she hadn't been in a while.

Don't give up! Things usually turn out for the better.

• thank you, i dont want to give up but right now it just hurts to think about caring for someone else. and wow I'm sure you will treat her so well! good luck :)

• I've never been in a relationship but the longest it's taken me to get over a guy who rejected me was a year and when I see him it still hurts a lot

• It took me over a year to get over a guy I had dated for about a year. But that's just me, I'm super emotional, other girls may be different.

• almost a year cause I was dumb

• five months, still hung up over it. Probably take another 6 months or so

• About 25 min. It was when the icecream machine at McDonald's broke down.
    Luckily there was a sonic nearby☺️

• It took me 5 months

• Almost a year and a half.

• it took me 2 months

• After a 3 years relationship am still trying to get over it. It's been 1 1/2 years since we separated. Sometimes feels like I will never get over him.

• just 2 weeks.

What Guys Said 9

• Gosh, 6+ years for a 3-year relationship. Still not 100% over her, but 99.6%

Still think about her at random times or reminded by random places, like CuriousEddie.

• About 10 years. And at certain times of the year, well, I still think of her.

Actually, it helped when I talked to her again, 10 years after she walked out on me. It is vain, but it helped because she told me she regretted her decision.

• That's a long time. Did you find anyone else during all that?

• Obviously not. Haven't you ever seen any of the national Lampoons? Cousin Eddie?

• @Kris85 Oh yeah... well, in another month or two I would have gotten it, after 'Christmas' was on TV several dozen times.

• I like this one girl but her parents didn't like me texting her and now i can't talk to her and its been 3 weeks and i won't get over it

• I will never get over her for as long as I shall live. Some people can get over it and some can't, the pain is just too much.

• Least than a day.

• then it wasn't heartbreak

• lol the past was yesterday? I mean I know it technically IS, but to think about yesterday and call it your forgotten past is crazy lol

• @been_waiting I never said I called it my forgotten pass. I'm just saying for me I think there's not point in being hung over a failed relationship. Because once it's over there's no going back.

• In my college years? A year.
    When i was a stupid k-12 student? Nine years.

• Well I had panic attacks for about a year because of one girl.

• It took me a little over a year to get over it. When I finally thought I was over her, I saw her holding hands with her fiance and it tore me up all over again.

• 2-3 months. My first love. She still tries to get back together with me to this day._.