What is your definition of "feminist" or "feminism"?

I feel like so many people think they know what it means when in reality people are usually way off

Most Helpful Girl

• a strong independent woman who fight for female rights which would lead to both women and men having equality

What Guys Said 13

• If you ask 5 feminists... you'll get 5 different answers. The dictionary definition is not what is practiced in reality. I work with 1 who says she is an activist and she's a nutcase who starts fights every chance she can get, plays the victim card when she loses, and my coworkers call her sexist all the time because she constantly tries to bash men.

She tried to argue with me that the company dress code doesn't allow for shorts that was super short and she made a huge deal out of it to the point where I just walked away. She also talks about how she likes womenly looking men and keeps bringing up how she's dressing her 7 year old son up in bikinis and tutus. She also just tried telling us the other day that another coworker gets away with stuff because he's a tall white male. She's in her lower 20's and has had 3 kids from 2 different guys.

In the end, anyone can label themselves whatever they want. I don't believe in this whole "true definition" of it because there's always gonna be someone who says theirs is the real one and claim that anyone doing what she wouldn't do is not a "real one." It's all bullshit. If you wanna fight for rights, fight for that right specifically and attack it. Using a label that'll just get you grouped with the insane kids protesting warren farrell's lecture in toronto will do nothing but hurt your image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARHCxAMAO0

• A feminist is someone that is in favor of giving rights to women. As simple as that sounds, it goes a lot of ways.

Both dictionary. com and merriam-webster. com have two definitions for feminism. One has to do with giving rights to women, and one is about equality of rights between the sexes. I couldn't see that being more accurate- there are feminists who want equality for men and women, and feminists who want rights and privileges, even (and sometimes intentionally) at the expense of men.

What the feminist movement fights for has changed significantly over time. In America, feminism went from giving rights to women (voting), to giving opportunities to women (college, jobs), to giving protection to women (alimony, VAWA), to giving privileges to and changing social norms for women (giving money to single moms, no-fault divorce).

Feminist is also a blanket term for anything from egalitarians to "radfems," but the whole spectrum identifies as feminist, so they naturally get lumped in with each other. "This is what a feminist looks like" could mean "Women in the middle east are severely lacking in basic rights" to "Lorena Bobbitt is my idol."

I don't think you can say that people's definition of feminist is "way off," because there are many, many ways to define what a feminist is.

• I think of women superiority, and making more rules on how to accomplish it. There is already favoritism towards women within our govt.'s so i don't know what exactly will get accomplished by it.

I know that some women want just equality in the work place but i want you to think real hard about this. Please also have experience in the real world not your un-educated views. I am talking about people in the professional world. What exactly have you seen that needs to be changed and be specific, not general. Also to all of those women who feel superior to men and feel that women are the dominant gender, history is a good guide line on how that one would work out.

I don't even know what they refer to as entitling themselves as a dominant gender. But i digress, i have never met one and if i do and i notice that she's a feminist i probably will roll my eyes and ignore her.

• Someone who battles for equality for women, but not equality for men. I believe in equal rights and opportunity, but that must apply to all life. Meaning that father has a say in whether or not the mother of a baby can get an abortion.
    If they are equally responsible, then they need equal say on the issue.
    In custody battles, the children should not automatically go to the mother and the only way men get them is to prove the mother inept.

It's about equality in theory, but in practice is only one sided. That is why many people say feminism and feminists hate men.

• It's always funny to see feminists get into throw-downs with each other over what it means to be a feminist.

• normally a land whale bitch who thinks all men are rapists and any logical argument is oppression and rape. they try and change things she's not involved in and want women to be superior to women not equal.
    i like what i think all people should be is an equalitist. that we should be treated the same

• Cupcake, we all know what feminism means.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...aa4ac525386f0cdc4bad2.jpg

• There are different kinds of feminists out there, but I'm just talking about the ones I usually bump into. :3

Someone who's interested about gender equality and talking about gender-related things in society in general, especially from a women's perspective. It's mostly about women's issues, but feminists also talk a lot about LGBT and race. My perspective comes mainly from reading Jezebel every now and then, so it's not like super serious feminism™ all the time, lol~. There's a lot of cool stuff about fashion, sex and current events too. ^ _ ^

• It actually means equality for both men and women. Its not truly about man hating, its about equality. Some women take it too far, but true feminists just want equality, which is something i actually support :)

• Feminism = a joke for which women are the punch line.

Does anyone take feminism seriously anymore?

• There's really only one true definition of feminism. Just as with any person or group, the definition must be based on their actions, not the Webster's dictionary. You can say that "feminism is about equality" until you are blue in the face but that will never make it so. Feminism is as feminism does, which is why support for feminism has gone down the toilet and there are so many women who now support things like #WomenAgainstFeminism.

There is very little tolerance in Western society today for an ideology that advocates for only one gender at the expense of the other and tells lies to convince that gender they are powerless victims rather than encouraging them to take responsibility for their own choices and outcomes. It is unacceptable today to tell women they have choices and then blame discrimination for the result of women actually exercising those choices (e. g., equal pay). There is no excuse for continuing to send the message that women should have equal rights but not equal responsibilities.

The only way feminism continues to survive is to convince women they are helpless victims and to drive a wedge between men and women, which is exactly what feminism endeavors to do. It's wrong and it needs to end.

• I agree with you. I think it's about female dominance. A lot of people say that it's about equality, but they are way off.

• why do you think it's about female dominance? Do you know any people who call themselves feminists?

• Wanna see a good example on female dominance? Abortion. Most women who support abortion believe its their choice, and their choice only to abort a child. So, basically, what the man wants means nothing? he's a father. He has the right to decide if he wants his kid. The woman had plenty of chance to prevent pregnancy. Dont tell me its your body and you do whatever you want with it no matter what I say.

• Because it is. They fabricate a lot of the positions that they say are oppressive like the severely overstated pay wage gap and droning on about "rape culture". That's not happening in the western world. They don't really care to help men in the areas that aren't exactly equal for them. They only fight for things that benefit them.
      If they were to fight in certain areas of the world where women really do need feminism, I would be completely fine with it. Though who am I to tell other cultures what they need, eh? In any case, that's not what most do. They have it exceptionally well here. It's also strange how they yell about how everything is sexist while spouting their nonsense, which is a lot more blatant.

What Girls Said 2

• Feminism to me is wanting all genders to have the same opportunities and not be prejudged or discriminated against.

• Feminism is equal rights for women. Egalitarian is rights for both men and women.