What's your own rule with regard to age gaps of a partner? Do you have any restrictions?

My partner is 26 and I just turned 40. I used to follow the halfyourageplusseven rule with dating but this time round have broken it. Legal age is 16 in my country and prosecutions for under age sex are rare or lenient. My grand parents were 14 years apart and had 6 kids including my mum. Does age matter?

Most Helpful Girl

• I go by half your age +7 as well, but in your case I would make an exception. If you've never been married and don't have kids or she has been married and has a kid (in which case you were married as well) I think a 26 year old with a 40 year old isn't too bad.
    I think it depends more on what stage of your life you're in than age which makes age a big issue. Typically 12-15 year old are in the same life stage, 15-17, 16-19, 18-24, but after 24 I feel like if you didn't go to college and took a career path instead it makes you much "older" than if you did.
    I was talking to my boyfriend about this a few days ago. We're 20 and I was like "woah.. I could have a 26 year old friend and that wouldn't be weird at all", but then I thought about it and if I had a 26 year old friend who didn't go to college and had been in their career for 5+ years or was married that would be a whole lot more weird than a 26 year old friend who just got their bachelor's degree and is looking for their first real job. So yeah it's definitely more about life stages when it comes to dating than age. Each situation is different

What Girls Said 10

• +/- 3 years. I'm sure that number would be different had I not met my boyfriend when I was very young. And it happens that he's 2 years and 2 months younger than me. I'd go no younger than him. Sometimes I forget that I'm 21 and he's 19. I just think he's 21 too. But apparently he always forgets I'm 21 and just thinks I'm 19. So I guess it's whatever. I'm not into drinking so it's not like I give up too much when we go out. He's really good to me so I think I will keep him :p

• I personally prefer to stay within 5 years, either younger or older. But what other people do is their business, I am not judging. If you two really like each other, I say go for it :). My only issue is when men put down women their own age because they like younger women. I've heard them call women their age: ugly, useless, depreciating assets, & say they have old eggs/ovaries. If a guy wants a younger woman, that's his right, but I don't see any reason to be mean to women he is not attracted to.

• It is not supposed to matter , but the major problems in these kind of relationships is the level of maturity. However these day teens and way more mature and open minded so it could work. Society critcism can also play a role, so try hard to avoid their voices getting into your head

• Yes, I do have restrictions. I wouldn't date someone who's more than 5 years older than me or more than 2 years younger than me.
    Age really matters to me.
    I don't judge other people, but I have my limits.

• My rule is no lower than age of consent (16-18, depending) no higher than 49.

I've dated guys from 18-40 and everything in between. I am 19 myself.

• I use the no-rule rule.

• I'm 20 I wouldn't date anyone more than 5 years older than me.

• I think by 26 she is a mature woman. It'not like a man is 26...

• I have a heavy preference for within 5 years of my own age. I've tried both older and younger than that and it changes the dynamic of the relationship. It's not a firm rule, but I rarely meet people outside of that who attract me enough to try.

• If they're an adult I don't think you can put an age where's it's impossible. Love is love.

What Guys Said 4

• The main rational consideration I have is that she is over 18, obviously. To me, the formula that people create (half your age plus 7, or whatever it is), is at best, arbitrary; or at least, the notion that one should stick to it rigidly, is. I've found myself attracted to a lot of women in their 40s recently (I'm 29). Outside that, I don't think age is necessarily an indication of maturity. People go through their entire lives being utterly silly, irrational people. So it's on a case by case basis, and more about their 'spirit'. I like artistic, conscientious types. I don't think it should be taken for granted when two people have a connection. I also think sex is natural and should not be moralised.

• Age matters. But it matters less as you get older. If she's 26, she's an adult, and the difference really doesn't matter. And that is about half your age + 7.

• You're both legal adults, it's your decision, age doesn't matter if you both love each other. My biggest gap was 13 years (me 34, them 21)

• I'm 19 and the youngest I'm willing to date is 17.. had a stunning 16 y/o girl that was in love with me, just didn't feel right though.. Damn it why couldn't my parents just wait a year..