If he said to me I'm his girlfriend, should I believe him and why should I?

I have been seeing a guy for about 5 weeks now and recently he asked if I would like to be his girlfriend and I said of course I like you a lot and he told me in person after that he really likes me, that's why I am his girlfriend. Before that he has been joking about me being his girlfriend saying things like, hey, tell your parents you're going to be fine going out with me, that your boyfriend is a good guy. And he also said jokingly, you told your parents you are just going out with a friend and you will be safe, or you should've said your boyfriend lol. Basically, I have trust issues with men because about every single guy I have gone out with in the past year or several months has deceived me horribly and this guy seems so nice and saying he is looking for something real, long term, not a one night stand thing. Should I believe him. He called me girlfriend after he took me out to dinner. We are planning to spend Halloween together also.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, believe him! It's not fair to treat him with mistrust because other guys have been jerks, their actions are not his fault.

What Guys Said 1

• Hello. Guys do that to "break the ice". The more they can say " you're my girlfriend" and you don't object, then you become his girlfriend one way or the other.

• A lot of it is confidence as well. A guy feels well about you if you don't find his efforts repulsing.

What Girls Said 1

• well hey if he's not doing anything to make you think otherwise id believe him... have you given him the goodies yet? ... if not than he could be working to get the goodies... spending Halloween together is great.