17 years old dating 22 years old?

so Im 17 and Im dating a 22 year old guy. at first I'm very mature for my age. He thought I was 20 but I told him I was 17 and he was shocked, or not really shocked but he really thought I was older. He likes me a lot but somewhere, I know he's afraid of the reactions of his friends and family. they will probably say: what are you doing, she's only 17? but what do you guys think about it? he we both like each other then age shouldn't be a big problem right? He's not the kind of guy who wants sex by the way and it is legal to date older guys in our country.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its not that bad. Take me for example, I was 17 when I met my now husband (1 yr has passed I'm now 18) he is now 33. When we were first talking I was afraid to take it any further. I was afraid of what people might think (she's 17 and he's 32= she's a gold digger, he's a rapist that just wants to sleep with me and leave me) but I ignored my fears and we started dating. When introduced him to my family my sisters didn't like him at all they thought he just wanted to take advantage of me but wait... things got worst one month into dating he went into depth about his profession (job) he turned out to be a doctor. He too confessed he was worried in the beginning before asking me to be with him due to the fact that I might of just been after his money. Basically, all these (beginning doubts) from both of us due to our age gap were inevitable we realized people were going to talk etc. Regardless of the situation. We've been married for almost a year and regardless of age difference we love each other and other opinions shouldn't matter if you both are seriously into each other.

What Guys Said 6

• I had this gorgious girl (16 y/o) that liked me once, I'm 19 myself and I've always told myself that 16 is just to young for me, I also was scared of what people in my area thought and in the end I must say I'm glad I didn't react to her feelings for me.

22 and 17 is deffinetly a bigger age gap, but the difference between 16, 17 and 18 is also very big. 16 y/o's are still seen as kids and 18 y/o's are seen as adults a lot of the times (also depends on behaviour ofcourse). Since you're 17 it might be weird for now, but in a year no one will say: "Gosh what is that 23 y/o doing with that 18 y/o"), then it would be all fine. So just do what you want, and as long as you guys are fine with it who cares?

• When it comes to dating, I don't think there are hard and fast rules. If you share some interests, if your families are supportive (may be some way to go on that), and the relationship is respectful and honorable, then don't over-think the situation. Enjoy your time together and see where life takes you.

• I think it's a bit too old for you.

• No bueno, he is much too old for you.

• I'd be down if I was 22.

• Under 18.

If you have Sex with him, it will be considered as Statutory rape, and that imply any sexual interactions, of course.

Anything other than that will be fine

What Girls Said 5

• Aside from the legal issues a sexual relationship would bring, he's too old for you. I'm 22, and I can't fathom dating a 17 year old. If he gets along with you so well, he's wildly immature for his age. You're really at a formative time in your life in which you'll through a lot of self discovery between 17 and 22.

Aside from that, I know everyone your age hates to hear this: but EVERYONE at 17 thinks they're mature for their age. I thought myself more mature at 17 than I do now.

• Yes I understand you but he thought I was 20 at first while I'm 17.. so Im really mature.. I already finished high school, in the netherlands you have the possibility to leave high school at 16 and I did and now in on the university with people who are 22 or older and yeah I like people older than me, they understand me.

• Then why ask?

• Just take it really slow, and it understand him being a little uncomfortable telling people your age, but I suppose if you were really important to him he'd tell his friends and family.

• When I was 15, 16, 17 I was dating guys much older, 22+, even some guys in their 30's when I was early twenties. If it's legal it's no one else's business.

• finally someone positive! yes you're right! how was it to date older guys? it is amazing isn't it?

• I've never been attracted to boys, and most guys don't mature until 20+, even then it may still take a while. I've never dated a teenager apart from my pretend first boyfriend (he was real, we just didn't actually fancy each other!). I prefer men and always have done, nothing wrong with that just be wary if older creeps.

• *of, older guys can often just be attracted to the fact a younger woman is paying them attention, but that's more for middle aged and upwards as they feel flattered and young. I wouldn't think it's an issue for a younger man.

• Would you feel different about a 22 year old woman dating a 17 year old guy? Just curious.

• Maybe a little bit, I think younger girls dating older guys is more normal because normally girls are very mature for their age. And guys usually act younger. especially guys of my age..

• What if the 17 year old is rather mature compared to other 17 year old guys?

• If he really loves you he will not care about what people think!!! <3