What was the largest age gap between you and a significant other?

One of my 19 year old friends is planning on dating a 36 year old. Kinda creepy if you ask me.

My parents are 9 years apart, so I don't really condemn the wide age gap; but, 17 years is like double and starting to push it. He's old enough to be her father. The general rule I've heard is half your age plus 7 (for dudes). So, 36 would be 25.
Not really sure how to choose a best answer... >_>

Most Helpful Girl

• 2 years.

But I don't think big age gaps are creepy unless the older person is suuuuper old then it can be.

What Girls Said 19

• My friend is 18 and wants to get with this 42 yr old. O. o and my mom dated a 19 yr old when she was 30, so there's that.

• I try to stick with my age. So he was my age. However, I would date a guy who was a year older and possibly even a year younger. But thats about it

• I was 17, the guys was 25.
    Worst decision ever.

• Well when i was 18 i dated a guy who was 27. 9 years age gap, thinking back at it, kindacringe

• 10.5 years
    it was actually probably a pretty poor decision on my part
    :/

• 7 and a half years. That didn't even feel right. we were both at different points in our life.

• I've been with a guy 23 years older than me, so 17 is no big deal!

• my bf is twenty one years older. we're happy happy happy and been together almost a year. he's the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm. 19 too. he's 40

• o_O He's going to die pretty far ahead of you. No judgements, just seems like a bummer. But good for you. ^_^

• Fair enough. Just saying the probabilities show your lover accruing more and more health problems. We could all die at any moment, but there is still degrees of probability. I don't care one way or another. I just think that I wouldn't do the same thing, because I would be worried that I'd have to prematurely deal with the death of--or who knows what terrible health downfalls that could happen to--a much older significant other. But, yeah. I don't mean to be a downer. It's great that you get to be with the one you love.

• I rather have him for twenty years than someone else for sixty.

• 10 years. I don't see the problem with age gap as long as both are of legal age.

• Me either. But once someone go past 15 years it starts getting a bit creepy, for me, personally.

• It shouldn't. Especially if both people are healthy and fit then they can age very well and most don't even realize there is an age gap unless they are told.

• I would say 14 gap range

• I was 19 at the time. He was 31.

• 7 years

(Fill)

• I usually stay within my age range, but I'm currently crushing on a guy 15 years older than me. He looks about 7 years younger than what he is, though.

• o_O Well, I can't say much. Angelina Jolie (39) or Kate Beckinsale (41). Yes please. And they're in their 40s.

• For sure. A lot of older people can put some people in their 20's to shame, when it comes to appearance. And I like to date guys who know more than I do, so it's perfect lol.

• The first one, we were the same age.
    The second one, he was a year older.

• two years, I was 17 he was 19

• My moma is 41 and my dada is 51 ^.^
    10 years gap ! ...
    I'm single and if I wanna date then I'll go for some one who's at least 4 or 3 years older than me / maximum 6!

• well never had a boyfriend but I try dating someone from my own age group that is 17-19.

• Biggest gap range I've ever had is 2 years. Though I'd date a guy up to 4 years older than me. Only 1 year younger though. Also I do find it kind of creepy but it's her life let her do what she wants and if it works out be happy if not be supportive. (:

• Why only 1 year younger? Wouldn't it depend on the guy, rather than the age?

• The only one year younger is because I'm only 18, and as a law I can't have any sexual encounter with anyone below 16, that and most guys (at least the ones I know) haven't grown up at all until they hit their 20's

• Ahh, gotcha.

• Age is a number. The biggest age gap I've ever had was 18 years. If she wants to date him, then its her decision.

• Yes. It is her decision. Age *is* a number. Like, for instance, the money in your bank account. Or the number of a Jew in a concentration camp.

What Guys Said 4

• I've never had a significant other :(. But id say about 7-10 years max. 17 years is insane difference.

• One will come around. Just be patient. Right? That's what I'm saying.

• Yeah i agree with u, 17 seems like too much of an age gap

• My largest was just about an eight year gap. To be honest, I never even gave it any thought at at all; I'm just not a person that gets hung up on age all that much. The strength of connection we have is far more important than our birth years.

• I guess I agree. Still, I think it's easier to have a connection if you're in the same generation. Same social conditioning, or relative experience in growing up. But, I won't say that it's impossible or even improbable that a connection can't exist in an age-gap relationship. It's generation gaps where I'm like, "wait..."

• Yeah, I'll agree with you there. A 40 year old dude dating a 20 year old girl would give me pause, I'm not gonna lie. At the end of the day I still wouldn't care, but it'd probably make me wonder how much they could have in common with a generational gap at those ages.

• 3 years, my current girlfriend is 20 and I'm 23

• 5 years difference