How to approach war veteran?

Ok so I have a class with an Iraq vet who lost both his legs in combat. He's so intelligent and really good looking but when he catches me looking at him he clams up like I'm judging him or something. Normally if a guy catches me staring they take it as flirty but I think I've accidentally come off the opposite with this guy and didn't mean to. I just want to talk to him but don't want to come off like one of those missing-limb-obsessed weirdos. Any ideas?

You guys are so right, walking on eggshells will only further his thinking I'm judging him. I don't know why I didn't just go for it to begin with, I'm gonna ask him out tomorrow after class!

Most Helpful Guy

• Like a normal human being. That's it.

What Guys Said 7

• Thank him for his service to our country & sacrifice so we have the freedom to enjoy the everyday things that we do.

• Don't focus on the fact he lost his legs, and just talk to him like you would anyone else.
    He might be lonely and would love your companionship. Maybe look into things that piss off vets if you want him to really like you.
    Here's a hint (complaining about "first world problems") and or comming off as entitled.

• Don't stare at a war veteran its nerve-racking. This is a reason i don't like public transportation like the subways. On patrols infantry men usually run into situations where if nothing is going to happen i. e. ambush, IED ext. nobody pays attention to u. But because the locals usually know when somethings coming up like an imminent attack, people will unconsciously stare at you cause its like knowing something they don't. So many war veterans get a little worked up when people stare but don't say anything. It gives them the feeling something bad is about to happen.

• you should tell him you want to thank him for serving our country and would like to take him out trust me on that one.

• just be normal, we are human

• Go tell him you think he's cute. And was wondering if he wanted to go get a bite. (straight up women always win)

• say hi how's it going and what he thinks of the class

• but the fact he is missing his real legs makes me shocked you would still be attracted to him

What Girls Said 0